Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

talk talk talk where is the anger?

Options
  • 16-03-2002 3:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

:mad: I'm just wondering , How many people around here have honestly contacted a politician to complain about the obvious ripp off going on over there. They have to listen to you, or is Ireland so far behind that even they are out of reach? I'm telling you all it takes is active pressure from the people and those net thugs you call a phone company well go down in flames. From the ashes you can make them set up several competing service providers and see a real change in things over there.
    Put it this way I pay the equivalent of 14$ ero dollars per month for unlimited access. How much do you pay? No I dont live there, no I dont know whats its like , but I know right from wrong and I know when I'm being ripped off. The difference between us is I would be raising bloody hell until something was done about it.

Encase your wondering where all my anger is coming from I just heard from my best online pal {he's in Kildare} wont be on for several weeks because he has a thousand $ bill to pay off. My god...

If any of you can find me an email addy for the politicians in that area I would really appreciate it. I got some serious yelling to do.lmao

Thanx for letting vent some anger.

Slony ( Canada )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Macker

Go get Her
    minister@dpe.ie

Macker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I know how angry people can be..and rightly justified :) but i think alot of people have learned to channel the anger into determination :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

It's not 1000 Euros for just my bill... The 1000 covers the carry over from the last bill, which i failed to pay in time (400 Euro + 18 for reconnection), then there's the 372 Euro's for this bill... Which brings my total bill up to around 772 Euro.... and i have my own, dedicated net line. The rest is for the other phone line, which my mum uses. :(

i'm actually using the main house phone line, but since IOL managed to mess up, i swapped lines with my mum (ho had the house line in the first place). funnily enough it was around this time 1 or 2 years ago, 2 weeks from today that i just managed to sign up in time for SNL, so it may have been last year. 2 weeks later, i got cut of from SNL, with them saying that they recieved an email to change the number, when my mum said to them not to bother... over the phone. since they disconnected the old number from SNL, i was left with nothing, but subscription-free dialup (ugh...). :mad:

after loads of calls to IOL's tech supprt service, both while i had the service (were some complications), and after i got cut... i was finally told that i'd never be able to reconnect again.

I tried looking for another alternative (namely AOL in the UK), but it proved too expensive as you had to pay an international call to the UK, on top of the phone charges. So that scratched that idea.

Anyhow, back to my original point (funny how i can write all this out now, as oppsed to yesterday, when i was originally planning to sign up)... Due to this huge bill, i'm being forced offline, and my never being able come back (in the extreme case)... and which slony can verify, has upset a lot of people... most of the people (who know about the situation) in this org, find it criminal that the internet costs are so high here.

I've also told then that we have no broadband, no cable and not even an unmetered net service (any more). I've literally driven my parents mad about this, so maybe it was a good thing that i joined when i did... before i made anyone else go nuts lol

sorry for boring you guys to death, but i thought i should get all that off my chest lol

just so you don't get any wrong ideas...

i'm actually using the main house phone line, but since IOL managed to mess up, i swapped lines with my mum (ho had the house line in the first place). that 'ho' was meant to be 'who' sorry... sticky and flat keyboard...

:D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Neko_Sama

As one of Kennett's friends from the formentioned Org. I would like to say how angry I am. Actually more sad than angry, but you get the picture. When I first joined that other org. Kennett was one of the first ppl to talk to me, and we have grown to be very good friends. I cant see how something like that can be allowed. Its BS. utter BS. He is going to be kicked from the net, and possibly forever, because someone made a mistake, and no one bothered looking into it. Slony, Give them Hell, as I know you can, like no one else can. I, too, may send something, because this bothers me. I dont live in Ireland either, heh, but meh. Like Slony, it makes me mad to see that happen...you are being ripped off, and that isnt fair, now is it? I hope something is done about this, as I dont want Kennett to disappear from the internet forever, although, it wouldnt hurt you to go outside sometimes? Ok? :P

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I want to know, how much can this congress person really do about this? Is it going to change the fact that Kennett has to pay an ungodly amount of money, and may lose net forever? does it change the problems he has at home because of it? No...This is something that should have been looked at a long time ago, but I guess everyone just thought that if they ignored it long enough it would go away...right? wrong.. I wish it worked that way...I know a lot of things that would go away for me, heh. If it would help, I will email this person, but I dont want to waste my time...Anyway...Kennett, I hope everything is ok.

-Neko-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Its not as if there were hidden charges and the rates were not known in advance. Yes the prices are sky high but we all know how much a call costs.

I am surprised how people can say that they are shocked and angered with the bills they get when they know what its going to cost in advance.

I'm not too sure how much it is anymore... all i know is the old Eircom pricing system... 5p for 5 minutes in the evening, 6p for 6 minutes... :confused: and that doesn't give any accuracy now, so i'm literally in trouble... :(

i'm not entirely going to be offline (for the next few days at least, just severely restricted for now), but since we can't afford Eircom's bill, they're going to cut it off... and i may not be able to get my line reconnected becuse this i the second time this happened (me not paying the bill in time) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I don't think then that the Telecoms Infrastructure and situation here in Ireland can be blamed for your mismanagement of your finances then.

Sorry, I'll bitch until dawn about Eircoms ability to delay dsl and their extortionate prices but I have zero sympathy for you and your canadian friends gripes and wouldn't think it very clever contacting Mary O'Rourke about this.

Man, I'm in a bitchy mood. By the way I have already sent letters to my local TDs about the Telecoms situation for general users.

i guess you're right, but if we still had SNL, I'd probably in a better financial condition (i was on it for 2 weeks before). i was thinking, wouldn't there be some sort of EU standards commission for this sort of thing? i mean, most, if not all members of the EU have unmetered internet or DSL in a better form than we do and they may be able to help bring this sort of thing to ireland (just a suggestion that was running through my head... feel free to ignore it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Neko_Sama

Darn it...I hate it when ppl point out the obvious, and I had been so blinded by my own anger, that I had missed it. O_o | o_O

Anyway...I suppose that we jumped the gun a little bit, and need to step back a bit and rethink it...but still..the rates are really high. Now, everyone knows the rates, is there still nothing you can do to try and get them to lower it?

-Neko-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Slony

hmmm...no sympathy Yellum? :;sighs:: Let me put it to you another way. My kids could take care of the isp or phone bill with their "own" money. Am I wrong in believing the internet should be that easily accessable for everyone? And can you honestly say that the politicians there are so powerless they could never, bring about the changes that would make internet access more affordible over there? I don't think so. Even a message from a dumb Canuk like me might start a ball rolling, imagine what tens of thousands of letters, emails or phone calls might start. The one thing I am absolutly sure of, is that a problem that is ignored will never be resolved.

To the people who have tried the politician angle? Keep doing it. They are the same all over the free world, you have to beat them over the head with a problem several times before they can even acknoledge it's there. lol

Its no different here in Canada, trust me and keep the faith. You can make a difference. But you have to be willing to "waste " some of your time and do some screaming and hollering and dont stop until the changes are made. What people sometimes forget is that politicians work for them. Like any employee they need to be given direction and from time to time reprimanded for poor performance.

Thanx for the input Yellum. Your exactly the kind of mind that is needed to bring about change over there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

perhaps its time there was more then one pressure group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shooter

As a friend of Kennett, someone who uses the internet an insane amount, and an American...I can't understand how you can have prices sooo high!

I have mailed that Minister/Senator/Congress person whatever...

Why? Because I can. Because Internet should be readily accessible to everyone. EVERYONE.

Advertisement