Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP activation

Options
  • 16-03-2002 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Lo...

here's the thing...

I installed Windows XP on my home machine thinking I'd try it out, see if I liked it and if it turned out that I DID like it I'd put it onto the laptop. I did like it, and I've now installed it on the laptop.

Unfortunately, I *ACTIVATED* it on the home machine, - so now the Product ID for that copy of XP is tied to that machine and it's specifications and it won't now let me activate the copy on the laptop (and so it'll time out after 30 days).

Is it possible for me to DE-activate it on the main machine (in uninstalling it, I guess) and activate it then on the laptop?

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

why not just get a crack? If you own the copy of XP i can't see the problem. it's proable illegal but it's your copy. Stupid ****ing Micro$oft. what ever happen to privace

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by jim_bob
    why not just get a crack?

because it's illegal and I'd rather uninstall it on the other PC if it means I can activate it on my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

No worries, just install it on your lappie, call MS (the number should be supplied) and tell them waht you've done.
    There should be no problem in getting an activation code.
    I've shuffled my Xp between several machines and never had any problem with getting an activation code of MS....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Bard, you're too honest for your own good ;]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

as far as i know you can install it on your laptop no problem. the activation system allows for the activation of up to 4 machines in any 12 month period with the same code afik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

An official line from Microsoft has said that it is okay to run WinXp on both your desktop and your laptop with the same licence. (But technically you shouldn't use them both at the same time)
    But activation has to be done via phone.

Also the activation period has been extended to 60 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by Bard
    Lo...

here's the thing...

I installed Windows XP on my home machine thinking I'd try it out, see if I liked it and if it turned out that I DID like it I'd put it onto the laptop. I did like it, and I've now installed it on the laptop

What a coincidence...me too;)

Should I be worried!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Clinical Waste
    An official line from Microsoft has said that it is okay to run WinXp on both your desktop and your laptop with the same licence. (But technically you shouldn't use them both at the same time)
    But activation has to be done via phone.

Do you have a link to anywhere that MS have actually confirmed this, or is it just "hearsay official".

No offence, but I heard the same thing about (for example) installing Office on your work and home pc, and then found out from a Microsoftie that such duplication was one of the major license-breaking problems that MS were trying to get around.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

<anti-ms activation rant curtailed>
    I believe you can get a 'corporate patch' for just such purposes, the best thing is it's legal, as m$ released it for corporations who did not want to get a seperate licence for each machine they installed or have to 'activate' windows on every machine they instaled Xp to as that would really be a royal pain.
    Corporate patch, it exists, might even be worth you while googling for.

Originally posted by bonkey

Do you have a link to anywhere that MS have actually confirmed this, or is it just "hearsay official".
    No offence, but I heard the same thing about (for example) installing Office on your work and home pc, and then found out from a Microsoftie that such duplication was one of the major license-breaking problems that MS were trying to get around.
    jc

No, I don't have it writing but its from the company -suppose its just "hearsay official". then. And I can't find anything to support it. In fact only a statement confirming 1 licence - 1 PC

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/pricingretail.asp

BTW The corporate/no-activation edition is for multiple-licence sites and requires a licence fee for each machine it is on. No different than buying a 2nd copy of Windows.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bonkey

jc

Also on the Office installation you mentioned. Here is the quote from Microsoft and the corresponding webpage:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/mpafaq.asp

How many installations can be made with one product license? Has this changed with the introduction of Product Activation?
    The underlying principles of Microsoft's software licenses have not changed. Microsoft's End User License Agreements (EULAs) have always stipulated the number of PCs that software can be installed on. Product Activation does not change that. For Office XP, primary users of the software may also install one copy on a laptop computer for their exclusive use. To install Office XP on more than these two devices, another license of the product must be acquired. Licenses for Office XP acquired preinstalled on a new PC are single-PC licenses that cannot be transferred or installed a second time on another PC. The aforementioned licensing terms have not been changed due to Product Activation. Pricing and licensing details are available for Windows XP and Office XP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I'm with Mayhem on this one. Have moved activations on MS products a number of times in the last few months and Microsoft are actually quite happy to give you the activation key without a two hour interrogation.

Yep, don't see what all the whinging about the "new" product activation is about.
    As long as you stay within the licencing terms it is no hassle whatsoever....

ok - can anyone tell me the phone number to ring to get microsoft to 'deactivate' it?

You don't need to de-activate it.
    Just install it on your lappie and call MS....

eh yeah... grand

what number do I call?

At the end of the installation you are asked if you want to register by telephone or over the Internet.
    Choose the telephone option and it will give you the number...

Advertisement