Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you consider a reasonable price for 512K down/ 128K up ADSL?

Options
  • 17-03-2002 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

So...

Eircon get to play good cop, bad cop again, and we all hold out breath. However, the price is at least changing... or so it seems from the latest slew of announcements.

But.. what would you consider to be 'good value' or 'reasonable' for home use ADSL connections? Vote away and let's see what the concensus is....

c0y0te

What do you consider an acceptable price for 512k up/128k down ADSL ? 75 votes

Up to 50 euro p/month (inc. VAT)
    0% 0 votes
    50 - 75 euro p/month (inc. VAT)
    52% 39 votes
    75 - 100 euro p/month (inc. VAT)
    38% 29 votes
    100 - 125 euro p/month (inc. VAT)
    6% 5 votes
    125+ euro p/month (inc. VAT)
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

This with the 3 Gb download limit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This'll sound anal, but I believe it's a valid point: The thread title says "reasonable", whereas the poll says "acceptable". There's a big difference between the two at the moment in my view. With my phone bills, anything below the level of my current phone bill (~€250) is "acceptable". I wouldn't consider it "reasonable" though.

Just said I'd mention it.

Oh, and: Do we really want to be doing market research for Eircom? You know they read this forum, don't you? They'd never admit it, but they do... :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

I'd probably pay between 50 and 75 - but that's including VAT.
    And I'd have to consider the cap seriously also.

Can't see myself paying anything near 100

Tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As a newbie - I do not fully understand your question?. You see,all I am looking for is a "unmetered" flat-rate Monthly internet - unlimited access to the internet & WWW for I think about Euros 25.00 per Month using my ordinary 56K Modem - dial up connection. I am in agreement with "dahamsta" as I have just received my latest telephone bill from "Eircom" and mine is over Euros 250.00 ??. Its frightening, as my income is limited to a Disability pension, Now, that I am a member of the permanently disabled. Its now 3 years since I was informed that my working days were numbered as I had developed Chronic disabilities - a bit of a shock to the system psychologically??.

As before I was hyperactive and did not understand what 9 to 5 working meant, as my work was my life and I lived it 24 hours per day. Now, I would be happy to have a farly priced internet access deal.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by paddy20
    I would be happy to have a farly priced internet access deal.

As would the rest of the country. As for the reasonable versus acceptable debate - to me (as its Ireland and all) anything up to €80 per month is acceptable, but as dahamsta said its far from reasonable.. Try getting someone in the UK, USA, Sweden and many more to pay the equivilent of €80 for a similar service and you'd be laughed out of the country (or badly beaten)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

thats nearly 4 times the amount that my friend would pay for his net access (though i could be wrong, could be more... i dunno the current CAD$ to € Euro rate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Shouldn't the poll read 512 down not up and 128 up not down ?!!:)

Anyway i would be willing to pay what the avg joe soap in every other country pays, up to 50 euro cap dependent :) , paying anything over that is not worth it, other things in life to spend your hard earned dosh on :p

<50 euro is acceptable and reasonable to me as i have boycotted the net at home since xmas :)

Re paddy20, the same unmetered/pricing model for internet access can also apply to 56k flat-rate, but as we know in a few years time 56k access might not be the norm, except in ireland(rep) of course ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

id pay the 50-75 a month but if it had the 3gig cap then i wouldnt touch it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Same as StrataGIST, I'd pay 50-75 a month because that's what I am paying for dialup access at the moment :( but with a cap, I'd really have to think about it. The temptation to go nuts downloading distros. for the first couple of months would probably get the better of me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

to be honest once its offered to me i'm getting it. Dont really care about the price. I'd rather be moaning about expensive dsl than expensive 56k which i'm doing at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

For a 128/512k I'd pay a tenner.
    For a 512/128k I'd pay €60-70. Without cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I would be happy enough if I could get broadband "always on" access for anything less than my last phonebill (500Euro+).
    Oh, wait I am getting that now...........;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by Pimp
    to be honest once its offered to me i'm getting it. Dont really care about the price. I'd rather be moaning about expensive dsl than expensive 56k which i'm doing at the moment.

Very good point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Should be noted that ntl are offering 512k down 128k up at €35/month, so anywhere that they offer it they should rightly rout eircon.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

€50-€70

NOT getting it with a cap. They have no need to cap the service.
    It's just being super greedy.

I'm on the trials - service is okay (down at the moment).
    But paying through the teeth for a capped service, when everywhere else, there is no cap, is something i wont do.

Why have they limited the upload to 128k btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Why have they limited the upload to 128k btw?

ADSL is aimed at home users/small business etc. The thinking is that the people who sign up to the services will want higher download speeds over up speeds. SDSL is the business type one, where the up/down speeds are the same and are usually higher. Those services are more expensive as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by kamobe
    €50-€70
    I'm on the trials - service is okay (down at the moment).

What exchange are you on? I'm on Summerhill, which I was told is down until Tuesday next, but I'm still getting connected..?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i havent had any downtime at all in 8 months.

I think 50-75 euro is just about acceptable for an initial offering. The price must drop tho.
    Its not realistic to use ntl as a comparision because they wont be in competion with eircom for the forseeable future (as they wont upgrade any new areas and eircom will)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think 50-75 euro is just about acceptable for an initial offering.

Isn't that a little unrealistic Dustaz? The /wholesale/ price is EUR€50.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

yeh, im not making the mistake of the last time this thread came up :)
    I said acceptable, not realistic:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I wasn't going to say anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

id pay 150 max as like most other my phone bill is very high but my cap on that would have to be somewhere in the region of 250 gb pm

Advertisement