Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Litter Pollution

• 17-03-2002 4:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭

I live in Dublin.
    One of the things that really gets to me is that on Sunday's for example thousands of people descend on the streets around the area where I live and trash the place. Typically when I walk out of my door during GAA match season, I am confronted by a swarm of cars and people, which is fine, but walking down the road you find vomit, urine, pieces of fried chicken and yes sometimes even people on the street. Come six o' clock and most of the people have left, but the litter lingers, sometimes it takes up to three days to clear it all up, not to mention the vomit and other treats lurking in laneways. I have been to some of the counties whose supporters mistreat my areas so and I find that their own counties are not the crawling fields of litter that my area becomes after their discent and I can't help but wonder, what would be the local reaction if 10,000 Dubs descended on some of these counties got largered in the street, vomited all over the street in front of their house and threw their litter all over the place to such epidemic proportions, that a week later sometimes, evidence of the match the pervious week lingers? In fact on Patricks Day, this area that I live in, Dublin 1, will be tured into a commercial three ring circus of 'Irishness' which is fine, I kind of like it, but I know that come the day after, yet again this area that I live in will have become the litter bin and toilet of X thousand, maybe even X hundred thousand people, I guess now I have a sense of what people who live beside dumps and incinerators have to endure on 24/7 basis.

Tony Gregory in fact has been quite active on this issue here is a link for some perspective that may be of use.
    http://dublin.local.ie/content/31425.shtml/ballybough/society_and_government
    Regards Typedef.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Typedef
    I live in Dublin.
    and I can't help but wonder, what would be the local reaction if 10,000 Dubs descended on some of these counties got largered in the street, vomited all over the street in front of their house and threw their litter all over the place...

Ah that would be Tramore on the August bank holliday weekend then... ;)

Seriously though forget the "us Vs' them" Typedef, we're all to blame for the endemic levels of litter (and worse) pollution across this state. Some would have you belive this is the result of 800 years etc, ie the Irish still think dropping litter is an act of political defiance, but its really down to ignorance and sloth, nothing more.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I suppose you have a point, still the notion that Dublin is a 'ditry old town' sort of sticks in my throat on match day as it certainly lives up to the name then.

It's a discrace really that the council does not have bins marked out for recycling, that local business's that capitalise on the influx of people do not provide adequate respite for litter collection and yes that the people passing through don't have a little more respect for the local area.
    Ok, holding up my hands, I realise that the inner city will probably never be a beauty spot, but, while I understand that the business's who sell the takeaways and pint glasses should take responsibility for their clean up, it must be said that the match goers too must take some responsibility.

I hope that in the event Croke Park gets utilised for the European championships that 'whichever' fans come through the area will respect the area and not turn it into a recycling ad come to life.
    Typedef.

Advertisement