Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****ing slow down

• 22-03-2001 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

i have a PII 350mhz with 128mb of RAM and i have a TNT2 Ultra with 32mb of RAm but my computer still runs like **** most of the time

i know a 350 isnt exactly anyway near top of the range but id like my pc to last til christmas at the very least

does anyone have any advice on how i can get my pc to run faster?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

how about overclocking it ?
    or getting more ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

got an extra 63 ram at christmas and i dont really want to risk overclocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭davoc

id say run disk defrag and scan disk, they're always good to get your hard disk sorted out and running your applicatons that bit faster.
    do you play a lot of games? if you do maybe you are noticing it more with new games etc coming out that are really far better suited to high end machines.
    also uninstall any programs that you dont use alot, if your hard disk is full(or nearly full) then windows has trouble with loading programs due to insufficent swap space available on the hard drive.
    other than that id say there isnt much you can do, short of upgrading a little smile.gif.
    1 more thing, try to update the drivers for all your hardware as that can sometimes have quite an effect.
    one more again smile.gif, format your hardrive amd reinstall everything from scratch. this serves really well to emptying out old defunt entries in your registry and to just give youeself a nice clean start

(edit) btw if you're familiar with all the above stuff, pls feel free to slap me and tell me to shag off. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by davoc (edited 22-03-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Bluntly its the p350. Look out for a cheap 500/550 upgrade (think they work on that motherboard), let everyone know you're looking etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Format c:
    Reinstall.

Alternatively co to overclockers.co.uk and buy a celeron 600 overclocked to 1gb. Under £100 and you wont recognise the PC after.

• Advertisement

thanks davoc i knew and done that already except for the format and drivers

what part of cork are u in so i can give you that slap biggrin.gif

oh i was just wondering
    how do i get one of those little pictures under my name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭davoc

any luck with the computer yet Recon?
    im near skibbereen in west cork btw, ill be expecting you smile.gif

to get a picture under your name go to edit your profile, and the 1st option there is 'Avatar'. juct change that to whatever you want it to be

ta muchly biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

bluntly, its not the p2 350. Reinstall and everything should be much faster. If you really dont want to do that, disable all your background programs, and as davoc said, run scandisk and defrag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

REINSTALL! REINSTALL! REINSTALL!
    a clean install on a formatted drive will vastly increase windoze boot speed!

just make sure you have backups of important files or dump them on a second partition before you format the c:

that's all well and good, but where are all the monkeys gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

is you are running win98, then run msconfig and edit your startup. take out everything bar your taskbar and sys something or other.
    also, turn of that stupid fast find yoke.
    you shoudl find a speed up after that without having to reinstall.
    but do do thedisk cleanup and defrag and scan etc.....

Advertisement