Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

time for some action?

Options
  • 18-03-2002 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

my phone convo from last week..

*ring ring*
    *ring ring*
    helpdesk: how can I help you sir?
    Tizlox: hi...I need a bit of help with my internet bill?
    helpdesk: what seems to be the problem?
    Tizlox: well, I've been reveiwing over the last 8 months..
    helpdesk: yes?
    Tizlox: and it seems that with the amount of money Im giving you,I could feed a large muslim family for the rest of their lives.. Could you please tell me why eircom wont roll out flat rate internet?
    helpdesk: the econemy is currently unsuitable an,
    Tizlox: no no no...I beleive that the econemy is very suitable.. Eircom just wants to make as much money as a huge american company such as AT&T out of a small country such as Ireland... and I beleive that they probably are.. I mean, Do you take pleasure in sending people bills they cant afford?
    helpdesk: sir,I cannot help you with this situation, If you cannot afford it, please reduce your online time..
    Tizlox: I have reduced my online time, drasticly. I realise your just an helpdesk employee and you cant help with their laughable, shameful service.. but please, pass on the message to the money hungry tit thats running the establishment.
    *beep beep beep*

people, eircom arent going to help us out. Its time to take serious action...IrelandOffLine seems to be dorment after the blackout.. Can anybody suggest a stronger message apart from burning all the eircom offices in the country down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I dunno how things work, but im sure the iofl committee have been doing behind the scenes work since the blackout, it hasnt be laying dormant. Theres nothing anyone can do now..the Comms Bill has been published, now lets jus wait and see, we've waited this long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

perhaps some of the members here should form another pressure group... the more the better..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Perhaps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Reply to Ruu from,paddy20.

Originally posted by Ruu?:- " Theres nothing more anyone can do. The Comms bill has been published, now just wait and see."??..

What a load of drivel?.. There is "Plenty" more that pro-active citizens -can do- Ruu!!. E-MAIL YOUR TD ?:- for a start - have you ever done that ? at least you would be supporting the Ireland OFFline aims and objectives?. All campaigning Organisations need encouragement ??. Plus:- "Watch this space"??... Re: - More action ?.. It is on it"s way!.

No offence meant and I hope - none is taken ;)

Yours, paddy20. You see N.B. Negativity instead Positivity - will lead us all - nowhere??.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

is there anything that can be done, town wise, as in getting a load of signatures of people saying that they're dissatisfied with the internet services, then sending it to the relevent people?

Perhaps advertising this site a bit more is the way to go? (not many people know that Ireland Offline exists, and that could be a major factor) the way i found about the site was through PC Live, in the news section.

Even though I have a good few reservations about Eircom, there have been a couple of times that they have been giving fast-ish download rates. (i recently downloaded a 10mb file in 31 minutes, at a download rate of about 5.58kb/sec).

In conclusion, the service they provide is fairly good, but it's the price of that service which is the biggest problem, and something really needs to be done about it.

• Advertisement

what we need is a group thats ready to take immediate action... that hits eircom harder and faster every time... hmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Tizlox
    what we need is a group thats ready to take immediate action... that hits eircom harder and faster every time... hmm..

Such a group would need to have extensive resources surpassing if not equaling that of EirSham. Do you know any benevolent billionaires that would be so sympathetic to us as to give us blank cheques??

Sometimes (more often than not with companies like Eircom), immediate action can't happen. Legal processes are more often than not, notoriously slow and cautious, and any other type of action would cost massive amounts of money, which we simply don't have.

Tizlox .. IOFFL is not dormant. There is a lot of behind-the-scenes work going on at the moment as Ruu pointed out. So please, have a little faith and patience :)

No offence taken Paddy :) Ive emailed my local, meant to have a meeting with him, im still pushing for that :) Its gonna take a lot more than a few emails, we need more support, tis true :D

Are you sure that's not too extreme? I mean... Depending on the way you intend to 'hit' Eircom, it may end up with legal complications.

Figures I left it too late to post lol... I was replying to:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Reply to kennett from, paddy20.

You already have a group - which is active, and very much alive. It is called Ireland OFFline, A Voluntary Organisation - as with all -voluntary organisations, particularly those with worthy campaign agenda and aspirations. They will be dealing with the "Dirty Tricks" departments of the Giant vested interests in business only?? and too hell with the general public brigade!!.

Believe me there are people of immense power - who resent organisations such as Ireland OFFline, and will do things in very quiet subtle ways - that are designed to break the will and tenacity needed to - stay the course- against certain individuals in Ireland who could teach the Italian Mafia a thing or two?? but they have forgotten that the Italian Mafia had the support of the ordinary working class people- because as an organisation they went out of their way to help their own people??.

You were on the right track when you suggested getting "Peoples signatures" and presenting those signatures to the appropriate authorities. Public Petitions are just about the most effective way for the ordinary people toget a fair deal. It has been used all over - effectively- and there is no reason why a "National Public Petition" requesting a reasonable fixed monthly rate for all internet users, should not be successful and it would not "Cost a fortune" in fact that is why it is so effective i a Democracy??.. You see all politicians are really - public servants - If the public makes their wishes known to them through a properly organised "National Public Petition" or NPP. Then they have no alternative but to act and act immediately upon receipt of such a "Legal Document" because that is exactly what a petition is - a legal form bywhich the people can "INSTRUCT" their Government to act on an issue??. It is at the very heart of Democracy and it "WORKS" ??..

So perhapsif we all support Ireand OFFline and this forum more pro-actively. Then the Management Committee would I believe look seriously at using sameto let the people speakto bringabout a change on this contentious issue of the need for - the obvious drastic reduction in internet charges in Ireland?.

Finally, no doubt you will be pleased and relieved to hear I am almost finished. I just want to say that if anyone in Ireland OFFline would like my advice on how to put togethera National Public Petition they know how to contact me directly. Just one more point "some"have suggested forming another group, believe me when you already have one - make that one stronger by supporting it instead of undermining it with crazy ideas that generally go nowhere??.. Division within the ranks lead to oblivion - and thats exactly what the powers that be would like to see happen to IOFFL - Well not while I am around thats for sure ??... Good ideas are emerging, lets support them by supporting Ireland OFFline with more determination than ever before !!. Then it can not lose . It can only WIN with the support of us all!!

Yours,paddy20.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Tizlox
    perhaps some of the members here should form another pressure group... the more the better..

Will you lead us to the promised land ? You mentioned another pressure group in another thread too. Are you going to set it up ? I'd be all for it. The more pressure groups the better. If stuff overlaps its not going to any harm at all. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah Tizlox has made some random suggestions about it on threads I noticed - and again I agree with Yellum - the more the better.

If we could get another pressure group with perhaps different/more active ideas the media might pay some more attention to the situation of the internet in Ireland. And that benefits everybody.

Originally posted by NoelRock

If we could get another pressure group with perhaps different/more active ideas the media might pay some more attention to the situation of the internet in Ireland

Thats what the forum is for...so we can contribute our ideas to the IOFL committee, and they can chose whether those ideas can be backed up or can be useful :)

yes...I think we should form another pressure group. Hopefully we can form some sort of alliance with IrelandOFFLine, therfore allowing both of us to work together in bringing this catastrophy to an end... anybody else feel up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I fail to undersatnd the need for another pressure group, what do you hope to achieve?

IrelandOFFline are doing an awful lot of work in the background at teh moment. If we had a days worth of the advertising Revenue that Eircon have then we could really get the message out, unfortunately we don't.

The best message here is to mail or email your local TD's. If people come canvessing give them a grilling about the state of the internet, let them know you will be making it a decider in who you vote for.

Gandalf.

Advertisement