Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NATIONAL PUBLIC PETITION, for cheap internet access ?? NOW.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Originally posted by Kennett
    I'm surprised we got so many people answering the poll... at least we know the majority of voters want cheap net access, so that accounts for someting :)

PS: i think the poll runs until the 10th of April

kennett, The 10th April "TIME-OUT" refers to my poll -"Why do the"Disabled/Hosebound nothave "DISCOUNTED" internet access ..NOW. Where I notice the NO brigade are leading by a long way. I really do find it hard that so many people are sending out the - message - "Stuff the disabled/housebound". Before I personally became a full time member of the marginalised - disabled minority - I hve to admit that I did not have a clue about the harsh realities of what it must be like to be "disabled/housebound. I was much too busy enjoying life, but now - believe me I would not semi - existence or cloistered "Half-Life" on anyone. Before my brother bought me a computer to try and jolt me out of a deteriorating suicidal depression I had lost interest ineverything, tv,newspapers, the weather, the family etc etc. I had literally lost the will to live - but miraculously - this new thing called a computer gave me a new lease on life. I think it is pure "MAGIC" and I can roam the "whole World" from my bedroom/prison.

So, maybe those who think the disabled should not receive any special "concession" re internet online usage costs - should think again - as no one knows who is next for complete disablement. Itcould easily be one of those who voted NO - May God help them in their "ignorance" and "insensitivity".

Back to the point - on WHAT DATE will this "National Public Opinion" poll - "TIME-OUT" I have asked but no reply has been forthcoming fromthe moderators - and I can not remember the date tat I posted this poll, but I do remember I only posted it for 10 days - but from when I do not know. Maybe I am now going senile as well.

Yours,paddy20.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

28th

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    28th

adam

THANKS.

paddy20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Yet another CUT site extract from me (I guess I'll have you all driven mad soon :()

http://www.unmetered.org.uk/mythbusters/mythbustersus.htm

I just thought I'd bring up this point anyway:

Metering has its own costs. Metering requires the use of equipment to capture the information necessary to prepare an accurate bill, namely the telephone number called, the time of the call (in order to properly rate it) and the duration of the call. The itemisation of metered local calls also imposes additional expenses for billing and postage, including added time for computers to prepare bills, increased paper costs, and higher costs to mail heavier bills. Unmetered calling avoids these costs.

In conclusion, offering an unmetered service would cut down costs for Eircom (paper, ink, electricity, computer maintainance and any other things that may come up), as well as for the average Joe Public, so why don't they consider this... Instead of one big phone bill for net calls, they can just put it all on one page, saving on paper and ink? It costs something like 5p/6.35c a page, then something like £50/€63+ for an ink cartridge. The savings would add up... Kind of like how the pennies on a local call add up when you're online... (oh.. the irony :D)

Reply to Kennett, from - paddy20.

Just brilliant. Let "Eircom" try and squirm their way out of that fact.

Keep them coming kennett, at least your posts are relevant to this post. Unlike mine which tend to wander and envite rebukes from you know who. I really do feel sometimes as though I am a little boy "back at school" dreading the appearance of the "Headmaster". I wonder why.

Seriously though I do not know where you get the info from , but I will be clicking on the link shortly to read the details, if I can afford too.

Yours, Gratefully, paddy20;)

• Advertisement

Please, call me Kenny :) (that goes for everyone else too :))

I seem to be on a roll here... I'm digging up loads of relevent information on the CUT site (which i got from another thread, thanks to whoever put it up :)) - http://www.unmetered.org.uk - and it seems to have many of our aims, so maybe we could possibly study this site further and see what they have done and see if it can help us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Slony

Well kenny my friend and brother at arms. It may be time to take this in another direction. I was just thinking if somebody could think of a way to get an Eircom rep to get involved in our debate.
    Maybe somebody knows an employee that can mention it to somebody at work or something. Or better yet the eircom headoffice email address , things like that. The day we see a genuin input from eircom here is when we'll know we are making progress. Until then I'm afraid it's all just talk and venting frustration. But keep the faith bro I'm in this fight as long as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Eircom and Esat people read these forums.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Eircom and Esat people read these forums.

Some quite important people. (It has been alleged.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Yet another CUT site extract
    I'm less than impressed by some of the shrill arguments from the CUT website. The "Network Can't Cope" rebuttal is disingenuous at best. As for this billing argument:
    Metering requires the use of equipment to capture the information necessary to prepare an accurate bill, namely the telephone number called, the time of the call (in order to properly rate it) and the duration of the call.
    First, capturing the info requires no more "equipment" than a hard drive. Second, far more than just dialled number, time and duration are stored for each call. This data is used for more purposes than just charging e.g. network dimensioning and marketing.
    The itemisation of metered local calls also imposes additional expenses for billing and postage, including added time for computers to prepare bills, increased paper costs, and higher costs to mail heavier bills
    Who gets their local calls itemised? All calls to my ISP are summarised in a single line on my bill.

• Advertisement

Who gets their local calls itemised? All calls to my ISP are summarised in a single line on my bill.

Actually, when my house gets the phone bill for the 2 lines, all my net calls are itemised (all 5 pages of them). I'm sure many people are the same. If we had unmetered internet access, less paper and ink would be used to print out the bills. I guess postage may be cheaper, but I'm not too sure.

Anyhow, keeping in topic... I have a friend from The Netherlands who checks his phone bill online. If he want, he can request a paper bill, but they don't send him out one every 1 or 2 months. If we had a similar service, Eircom would be saving money, although what would they do with the money that is saved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Anyhow, keeping in topic... I have a friend from The Netherlands who checks his phone bill online. If he want, he can request a paper bill, but they don't send him out one every 1 or 2 months. If we had a similar service, Eircom would be saving money, although what would they do with the money that is saved?

We do. You can view a pdf of your (fully itemised) bill if you register at www.eircom.ie

Originally posted by pete

We do. You can view a pdf of your (fully itemised) bill if you register at www.eircom.ie

To pete,

I am registered with WWW.EIRCOM.IE so that I can pay my bill "online" and - supposedly - view a ("fully itemised") bill online,instantly.

However, it has NEVER workrd properly for me. I have been on to them "direct" via e-mail, and by "voice" on the phone about 6 times trying to have this matter resolved. Without any success - so far.

The "young lady" on "EIRCOMS" telephone number has even "changed " my "password" for accessing my account details on their site a number of times. Now, she has given up - I have given up & now pay my "EIRCOM" massive second mortgage sized bill by using the An- post, Billpay.ie. free online service.

I have now been "forced" to resort to "snail -mail" to get an itemised bill - even this leaves me none the "wiser" as all I have received too date are loads of pages stating clls to 074-60201 the eircom local internet link number. This is NOT a proper "itemised" bill. I want to know when ,who, telephone number or internet site contacted etc etc, but apparently this is asking too much and beyond their "capabilities" to supply me with this type of - detailed - itemised billing - when the calls are via the "internet" number 60201.

In case you are wondering why I want such a detailed "itemised bill" . It is because my " Computer genius" whizzkid - who has been helping me since I got a computer informs me that someone - a hacker- is using MY telephone number to make HIS telephone internet usage calls & God only knows "what else" but as I can not get an "itemised" very detailed internet calls made bill. I can not catch the son of a B****.

Where am I now and "what" can I do ?. I even discussed this problem at 58p per minute for over four hours with "EIR-CON" technical services and all I ended up with was an even "higher" - telephone bill. From EIRCON, any more "suggestions".

Yours, paddy20.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Ireland's living in the dark ages of the internet for way too long. A small step forward to a feudal age of flat-rate unmetered internet would go a long way.

Its time we advance to the next stage in our internet, we need to make it clear, we're sick of being treated as third class internet users, spending around €1 on our cheapest internet, while british citizens can go online 24/7 for near the cost of us staying online for one full day.

Im enfuriated whenever i think of this, knowing that people in other countries have better chances then we do.

Its really time to take action.

I found out that even Iran has a better net connection than us... Which I read somewhere. Sorry, don't have the link :-/ Anyhow, they have ADSL (2MB/sec, i think)... What does that mean? It means; at the rate we're going, we'll be behind everyone if Eircom don't get their act together and do something... I mean, even an unmetered Internet product would be a start... (Which I would gladly sign up to). So come on Eircom, please sort something out... We're not asking for anything big... If it has been done once before with IOL Surf No Limits, it can be done again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Slony

That would mean they have at least some level of intelligence. So they have to see the anger level at their company is rising rather quickly. Maybe they'll show some Irish back bone , step forward and tell us if we are wrong and why. I dare you Eircom:mad:
    But like any other company with a cowardly govermant in their hip pocket, they will stay in the shadows with the rest of the slime.:(

Surf No Limits was a good service, although Eircom charged Esat a bomb on interconnect charges, so Esat were forced to stop offering the service, due to it being too expensive. I hear that people are still on SNL though, as the servers are still running. At least that's something :)

Althouh there are a lot of people (myself included) who wish they were still on SNL :(

Oh well... Lets hope something gets sorted out soon... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I found out that even Iran has a better net connection than us... Which I read somewhere. Sorry, don't have the link :-/ Anyhow, they have ADSL (2MB/sec, i think)... What does that mean?
    Hmm, I read that somewhere recently too but I can't remember the link either. Don't worry about it too much though. What it really means is that a few lucky mullahs in Tehran can surf in comfort. The rest of the country is still using pulse-dialling to connect to their ISP (in other words, they do not even have an all-digital telephone network).

Well, at least that is something... I guess.

I'm after digging up the url for that Iran comment-type-thing.

its at:
    http://anchor-net.com/fbi/
    I saw it in the very top thread

And here's the article:

No available Broadband, high-speed, Internet access
    [unless you pay a fortune for a dedicated Leased Line]
    Tens of millions of users and business in the US, Asia, UK and Europe now have affordable access to Broadband Internet access at speeds upward of 50 or more times the speed of the standard access here in Ireland. [UK: < ST£40pm // US:< $40 pm].
    Indeed IRAN now offers ADSL at at 2Mbps (that's >200 times faster than ordinary 56k modem users folks !), and 24/7 internet access for less that €40 per month ! (see news section)

URGENT MESSAGE:-
    From, paddy20,

PLEASE NOTE:- This "Poll" will time OUT - in TWO DAYS - i.e. on the 28th of this Month.

So, time is short for you to get your VOTE in, you only have less than 48 hours left?. To vote or express an opinion. If you have "not" please do so NOW. As I believe some "Important & influential People" are (Allegedly) watching your "vote" very closely on this one...

I do not know exactly "what" happens to this Poll/thread on the 28th. Maybe, someone could enlighten me. Please ?..

1, Will the results vanish, when the poll times -out.

2,Will the topic remain on the forum as a straight thread i.e. ex poll.

3, Or what are the alternatives.

Yours, paddy20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The poll will just close. People won't be able to vote but will be able to see the results and see, read & post to the thread.

Gandalf.

Originally posted by gandalf
    The poll will just close. People won't be able to vote but will be able to see the results and see, read & post to the thread.

Gandalf.

Very many thanks,Gandalf,

For the info, I am learning something new everyday.

Yours,paddy20.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by paddy20

Very many thanks,Gandalf,

For the info, I am learning something new everyday.

Yours,paddy20.:)

Yeah we are all learning something new every day, my problem is remembering any of it the next day ;)

Gandalf.

Any ideas what we should do to make a point? Be sure to include "all wear ireland offline t-shirts" :)

Well Folks,

Another day, another "MASSIVE" rip-off day for "EIRCOM" !--

THIS POLL TIMES-OUT "TOMORROW". Thats only one day left to VOTE against Eir-Cons - Government sanctioned - Licence to "Print Money".

Why not give them and the Government a "Final" kick in the BUTT??..

You never know, your vote might be the one that changes the big picture??..

Yours,paddy20 :)

any idea what we'll be doing paddy?
    I'll try get an ad in the waterford today to get some people to come help if ya want me to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

"I want to know when ,who, telephone number or internet site contacted etc etc, but apparently this is asking too much and beyond their "capabilities" to supply me with this type of - detailed - itemised billing - when the calls are via the "internet" number 60201. "

what exactly do you mean-do you want the web addrss of every site you visit on your telephone bill??
    jd

Originally posted by Tizlox
    any idea what we'll be doing paddy?
    I'll try get an ad in the waterford today to get some people to come help if ya want me to

Tizlox,

Everyones ideas suggestions are a help to us ALL.

Although, your suggestion should really be directed at the - Ireland OFFline Committee.

As it is thier "Very worthy campaign" and it is up to them whats to be done next.

The "BALL" is in their court.

Not mine, but many thanks to you for being pro-active enough to show a genuine interest - maybe Ireland OFFline might wish to respond "Directly" too you - as this is Ireland OFFlines Forum.

Best Wishesto you & God bless.

Yours, For now-paddy20;)

Originally posted by jd
    "I want to know when ,who, telephone number or internet site contacted etc etc, but apparently this is asking too much and beyond their "capabilities" to supply me with this type of - detailed - itemised billing - when the calls are via the "internet" number 60201. "

what exactly do you mean-do you want the web addrss of every site you visit on your telephone bill??
    jd

To:- jd.

In a word - YES.:rolleyes:

Yours, "Its my right" -paddy20. N.B. They -"EIRCOM" advertise that an "itemised" detailed telephone bill is available from them at a "COST" I have received one, but too me it is not in my humble opinion?,clearly itemised i.e. full details, time, when and where too etc etc is my interpretation of the word "Itemised".

Anyway, I am after a "Hacker" who has been apparently been putting his call down too my phone number. How else can I catch the B******,??..:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by paddy20

To:- jd.

In a word - YES.:rolleyes:

Yours, "Its my right" -paddy20. N.B. They -"EIRCOM" advertise that an "itemised" detailed telephone bill is available from them at a "COST" I have received one, but too me it is not in my humble opinion?,clearly itemised i.e. full details, time, when and where too etc etc is my interpretation of the word "Itemised".

Anyway, I am after a "Hacker" who has been apparently been putting his call down too my phone number. How else can I catch the B******,??..:confused:

GULp-don't want to get off topic
    ok-without getting technical its not going too happen-it would be similar to eircom having transcripts of your telephone calls on the bill..
    A certain amount of logging is done by isps routers-but it would be quite unintelligible to most people.
    To be honest, I doubt there is an isp in the worldproviding what you are looking for...
    what makes you think there is a
    ""Hacker" who has been apparently been putting his call down too my phone number. "

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement