Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NATIONAL PUBLIC PETITION, for cheap internet access ?? NOW.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Originally posted by jd

GULp-don't want to get off topic
    ok-without getting technical its not going too happen-it would be similar to eircom having transcripts of your telephone calls on the bill..
    A certain amount of logging is done by isps routers-but it would be quite unintelligible to most people.
    To be honest, I doubt there is an isp in the worldproviding what you are looking for...
    what makes you think there is a
    ""Hacker" who has been apparently been putting his call down too my phone number. "

My "ruddy" phone bills.

Plus:- The valued opinion of my local "Computer expert" whizzkid. Who has told me very CLEARLY. That a "Hacker" is having his personal "Internet" usage calls put on my EIRCOM bill, and I can not afford it?.. and not fogetting - my overdraft at the bank proves it.

If what you say is correct, Re:- ITEMISED BILLING -which we have to pay more to get hold of?,. Then why is EIRCOM offering and "CHARGING" for something that they can not provide??.. Is it just another crooked "Capitalism" GONE MAD - "CON" ??......

Yours, paddy20. (An ordinary citizen of this our "FAIR" land of Ireland??..).:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by paddy20

If what you say is correct, Re:- ITEMISED BILLING -which we have to pay more to get hold of?,. Then why is EIRCOM offering and "CHARGING" for something that they can not provide??.. Is it just another crooked "Capitalism" GONE MAD - "CON" ??......

Calm down paddy. They charge you for EXACTLY what you recieve. An Itemised phone bill. It shows the numbers you dialled and the time of connection to these numbers. Thats what an itemised telephone bill is the world over. If you tally all the calls you made to your ISP while replying every 10 seconds to this thread, and work out how much you paid for them, you may be able to discount your hacker theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Plus:- The valued opinion of my local "Computer expert" whizzkid. Who has told me very CLEARLY. That a "Hacker" is having his personal "Internet" usage calls put on my EIRCOM bill, and I can not afford it?.. and not fogetting - my overdraft at the bank proves it.

To be honest-I think it is much more likely that your computer is dialling up without you knowing about it (misconfigured software perhaps)...what evidence do you have that someone is putting their calls on your phone bill

Originally posted by jd

To be honest-I think it is much more likely that your computer is dialling up without you knowing about it (misconfigured software perhaps)...what evidence do you have that someone is putting their calls on your phone bill

Sorry, I have no misconfigured software.

The "Evidence" is the size of my EIRCOM phone bills, but they "EIRCOM" have not as "Yet" produced the "Evidence" I requested and paid through the nose for.

My computer whizzkid/genius knows what he is on about - Plus his services are "FREE" to me.

I BLAME "EIRCOM" END - "FINITO" comprendo??.
    ;)

Have you done the math with your phone bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Sorry, I have no misconfigured software.

The "Evidence" is the size of my EIRCOM phone bills, but they "EIRCOM" have not as "Yet" produced the "Evidence" I requested and paid through the nose for.
    Paddy, you are getting what you paid for-an itemised phone bill...
    My computer whizzkid/genius knows what he is on about
    to be honest so do I- get him to explain why he thinks your phone bill is being hacked and post it here
    - Plus his services are "FREE" to me.

I BLAME "EIRCOM" END - "FINITO" comprendo??.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

This was a great thread getting a nice repsonse too - ye guys should start up a new one about your hacker theory......

I would definately sign a petition, at least it would make me feel like I'm actively doing something, rather then just getting frustrated sitting here, waiting for someone else to get their act together.

Excellant idea, get it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Perhaps you should consider installing a firewall Paddy? There is a strong possibility that it would stop the hacker from accessing your PC.

You can get ZoneAlarm from here which i find is a pretty decent firewall to uses.. and the best thing is it's free :)

Originally posted by Kennett
    Perhaps you should consider installing a firewall Paddy? There is a strong possibility that it would stop the hacker from accessing your PC.

You can get ZoneAlarm from here which i find is a pretty decent firewall to uses.. and the best thing is it's free :)

Kennett,

Many thanks, but I already have the "PRO" version of same as you suggest, but I did not want to "advertise" a product online, in case I got told off, by one of the "Mods"?... The version that I have I had to pay for, and I have found it excellent. It even allows me to printout details of who is pinging my computer, but up to now all I have are the IDs of a load of telecomm operations based all over - who keep scanning my computer ports -

Nice to hear from you.

God bless,

Yours, paddy20.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Off topic I know but...
    but up to now all I have are the IDs of a load of telecomm operations based all over - who keep scanning my computer ports

paddy20, it's not the telcos scanning you. It's just script kiddies who use those companies as their ISP. When you whois an IP it will only tell you who owns the IP block. I wouldn't worry about it, seeing as they're showing up as being blocked by ZA it means the firewall is working.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    Off topic I know but...

paddy20, it's not the telcos scanning you. It's just script kiddies who use those companies as their ISP. When you whois an IP it will only tell you who owns the IP block. I wouldn't worry about it, seeing as they're showing up as being blocked by ZA it means the firewall is working.

Once again, Frank,

Many thanks to you - it is a good start too my day to be informed of that.

I have other "mysterious" computer glitches as well. My computer whizzkid, says he will move in here over the coming weekend in order to repair the "Multitude" of problems I am having with this MONSTER in my bedroom.

My BIGGEST problem though - still remains, ie. My Sky High Internet usage RIP-OFF chrarges - and I will sort that one in my own peculiar fashion, in my own time - IF I HAVE TOO??.... Yours, paddy20.;)

Message from paddy20:)

It is "D" day. The opportunity to vote in this poll will end today.

It would be nice to see the "YES" vote reach 100 or more in favour.

But alas, maybe I am asking for too much.

Anyway, Thank you one and ALL for "voting" whichever choice you made. Thats Democracy at work.

God bless you ALL.

Yours, paddy20.:)

N.B. Maybe we have until "midnight" to pass the 100 votes in favour goal, that I set for myself as a test of opinion-That if translated by the "Statistical experts on voting patterns" should really give the politicians - who are not all bad - something too really WORRY about - so close to an election.....?.:cool:

Message to ALL from, paddy20.

Sorry, it is now too LATE to "Vote" anymore on this public "Poll".

A pity, but the fault rests "with me". I should have posted the poll for - longer- than the "10 Days" ??.. That I requested as the period of time that I wanted people to be allowed vote on the poll.

However, you may not be able to add any more votes - BUT - you can still express your opinion and POST messages on this vitally important issue in relation to the "Scanalous" cost of going "online" on the internet.

Because, EIRCOM are still allowed to charge what they want for "time" online.

Keep the debate/issue and thread alive.

Those, who are in a position to bring about a "Fair-Deal" are allegedly - Looking in - with increasing interest to this forum and this THREAD??..

The poll got 99 votes - one short of the magic 100, whata pity, blame me??..

Yours, paddy20. "Keep the FLAG flying" and Good Luck to you ALL.

Yours, paddy20.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cpl. Hicks

I have the answer?

the reason Eircom dont give us unmetered acess and such is...

the connections are ****... so if i want a file from file planet i spend 12+ hours d/l from home that amount 2 approx 720mins
    or 7punt 20 over time this really adds up...

in college i have a T3/Lan running at 100m/bits a sec

in short that means i d/l cs in 1/2 an hour (other peeps use it also :( other wise it wud be sooner)

try it urself...
    http://www.fileplanet.com
    find a large file and go to the d/l server page see how long it will take...
    next with the isp's they keep cutting me mid
    [Connection Terminated]

lets not go here again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement