Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Same Phone Number at Different Address

Options
  • 18-03-2002 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

I will probably be moving home shortly. Is it possible to keep the same phone number at a different address? If so, how do you do it?

Also, what is the latest on No Limits and moving house? Can you keep the account?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I dunno about the phone number, but I'd severely doubt Esat will let you keep SNL. Although, I kinda think I remember somebody kicking up a fuss over it a few months back and Esat caved in?

Maybe I'm imagining things again...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You can keep your number.. we did when we moved house a few years back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Aye, u pay like round €100 for the new line and €15 euro to move the number afaik, my bro hadda pay this to keep his number, moved next door to ours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

I phoned Eircom and they told me that I can't do it. Apparently you have to be in the same exchange to do it. The 2 addresses are both in the 01 area but are not run off the same exchange. Is that the same story with everyone?
    Although, I kinda think I remember somebody kicking up a fuss over it a few months back and Esat caved in

I think I remember that too. Anyonw know what the story is? Otherwise I will give Esat a call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

could be, when i moved i was still on the same exchange...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

It's even worse than being limited to moving within the range of a single exchange. If you are connected via a Remote Concentrator Unit (a mini exchange in a box that gathers a few thousand subscriber lines together before "concentrating" them on to a smaller number of lines to the local switch) then you are limited to the area served by that RCU.

IMO, this is shameful. The ODTR really dropped the ball on this. I have personally implemented citywide number portability in other countries. It's a simple service and eircom has all the necessary software already installed in its network.

Below are some extracts from the ODTR (telecom regulator) document Decision Notice D1/99, available on ODTR.
    All respondents accepted the restriction of location portability within a minimum numbering area (MNA), so as to preserve location information in the numbering scheme. However, few saw the need for the ODTR to require specific location NP facilities or to impose further restrictions. In general, the view is that operators should be left to decide the extent to which they offer location portability within an MNA. The ODTR accepts that Telecom Éireann may require major network adaptations to offer MNA-wide location portability in all MNAs. In addition, the ODTR expects that most new operators will be in a position to offer location portability across entire MNAs.
    the ODTR does not believe that there are sufficient grounds for mandating location portability at this time.
    The Director therefore intends to: -

- restrict the scope of location NP. The ODTR has already said, in its Decision Notice on numbering (D2/98) that it will initially restrict location NP for geographic numbers to portability within the minimum numbering area (MNA) for which they were issued. This decision may be reviewed from time to time, as required.

- allow Telecom Éireann to offer more restricted location NP. In most cases this will mean location NP across the area served by a Remote Concentrator Unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We (small business) moved office from Baggot Street (Merrion Exchange) to Ballsbridge (Beggars Bush Exchange). What we did was pick a new number range 66X XXX0 to 66X XXX5 and had the old numbers temporarily diverted.

By the way, only 10% or so of numbers are actually in use in Dublin so you have a huge choice available.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Funny, we moved just down the road, but onto a different exchange, ie. 494 xxxx to 495 xxxx. We were told we could keep the old number, but it would take a week and £150. So we took a new number and diverted the old one. The eircom tried to charge us for two lines because they 'were keeping the other one open for us'. Spas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Yes you can but the Number that you are keeping has to be in the Same exchange or it is not possible ......except fot some rare cases ...... also there is call divert / call forwarding but it has set-up cost and you have to pay for the phone call as well when some one calls you .

Advertisement