Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever seen a film that was better than the book?

• 18-03-2002 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Although there was alot missing out of the movie version of the FoTR i prefered the film!

Before that i would of said no.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Bridges of Madison County, no I did'nt actually read the book but I did'nt need to as its reputation went before it!

The film was exellent, one of Eastwoods best.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

"The Shining" - never been a fan of Stephen King's writing style, although the basic stories are usually good, and ideal for adaptation to the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by davros
    Ah yes, Tolkien's little known early work, a polemic against the monstrous evil of mass production: Ford of the Rings :)

Fellowship of the Ring, you div!

And I agree with Lolo here, Stanley Kubrik's The Shining was classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

UMmm well usually no but i thought 'Shawshank Redemption' the movie was much better then its short story by stephen king

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Originally posted by AngelWhore

Fellowship of the Ring, you div!

Fair comment :o

And that's why I don't go near the Fantasy board - not my genre. Though I did see FoTR (I'm adapting :-) ) and I can't see how it could be much worse than the book since it was all a terrible load of nonsense. Just my opinion. And the last comment I make on Fantasy for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by davros
    Fair comment :o

And that's why I don't go near the Fantasy board - not my genre. Though I did see FoTR (I'm adapting :-) ) and I can't see how it could be much worse than the book since it was all a terrible load of nonsense. Just my opinion. And the last comment I make on Fantasy for a long time.

!!!

:mad:

TERRIBLE LOAD OF NONSENSE!?!?!?!

Firuvalyë! Alta tuica rocco!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

the film "Walkabout" was much better than the book imo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand, "13th Warrior" with Anthony Bandarus was better than the book it was based on (Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crithon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by Manach
    Offhand, "13th Warrior" with Anthony Bandarus was better than the book it was based on (Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crithon)

awful film too

sliver too - film bad - book awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ever seen a film that was better than the book?
    Can't say I have...
    Angelas Ashes was probably the biggest book=>movie dissapointment I've witnessed... glad I read the book first
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

To Kill A Mocking Bird - the old 50's version was quiet close the book imo and thats saying alot. Can't really think of anything else off-hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yes the movie was better then the over the top novel by Thomas Harris.

The Shinning (Stanley Krubric) Was Hated by Stephen King, He thought it was too commercial, have to read the book to see his point.

I am not personally into Krubric, I think he is over-rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by Illkillya
    the film "Walkabout" was much better than the book imo

Never read the book - excellent film though, Nic Roeg rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

In my experience the movie is rarely better than the book.

But I did think Bladerunner worked better as a movie.

Not that Philip K Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" didnt have its moments but the movie was a work of art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I though that Rising Sun was better than the book. (Michael Chricton)
    Book wasnt bad, but film was very good, with Connery and Snipes working well together.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

84 Charring cross rd was better as a film. Just. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

i think star trek books are so much tripe, on the screen you can filter out the mubo jumbo but in the book you have to try and read the funkin word...
    ...trainspotting i think made a better story on screen....dickens done properly on screen is a lot better than geting lost in his slang (it happens! Hard Times-> that ****ing circus owner basteerd that cant speak english due to a lisp)...

"the shining" has been mentioned but kubrick also improved on A Clockwork Orange, in the start of the book its hard to get into but with kubrick's visual aid you get used to that slang aswell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I don't believe I've ever seen a film which is better than a book, I don't think it's possible. A book allows you to use your own imagination, but the film you are looking through someone else's (The Director's) eyes, which is fine, but I personally think my own imagination does fine. Books and film's are completely different things.

Originally posted by AngelWhore

Firuvalyë! Alta tuica rocco!

Angelwhore, that is just so unbelievably SAD! I pity you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Originally posted by Manach

You mean Antonio Banderas ,

The Film I taught was good, I love the Viking Conan type films anyway, not everyones cuppa tea though.....

Advertisement