Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe: Land of the Station2 "bonus disk"

Options
  • 18-03-2002 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Ripped from EuroGamer:

"FFX to ship with extras [18-Mar-2002] :

One of the PlayStation 2’s forthcoming summer blockbusters, Final Fantasy X, looks set to feature a number of extras for European gamers. Our version of the game will actually be based on the Final Fantasy X : International edition which went on sale recently, featuring a bonus DVD, “Beyond Final Fantasy”, packed with extras like developer and voice actor interviews, along with a preview of the upcoming Square / Disney RPG crossover, Kingdom Hearts.

Unfortunately, Square Europe has not promised the two things we did plead for, a borderless conversion and a 60Hz display mode. If the recent demo version of the game is anything to go by, we can expect 50Hz and borders aplenty".

Well fuk that, christ the least we should expect is almost no borders @ 50Hz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yeah - the Euro version is, sadly, mank. :(

Stunner of a game mind. I doubt the borders or 50hz will really detract from the experience that much for people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

i think there's a huge difference between 50hz and 60hz tis just plain stupid why sony dont put in a 60hz option
    allthough your right and it wont stop ppl buyin it cause sony ppl are idiots

There's not a vast difference when we're talking about an RPG.

The only issue is that the video is going to look a little monged as they'll have to drop frames. Which will suck.

The issue with FFX, really, was that because there's so much video in it (this isn't a bad thing - Final Fantasy FMV has always been good, and certain bits in FFX absolutely took my breath away - it also has a tendancy to use video backgrounds along with 3D seamlessly in battles, which looks speechlessly cool) you either have to do it entirely in 50hz or 60hz - you can't have an option.

Some folk in Sony apparently wanted to do the gameplay in 50 and have the option of switching to 60 for the video... Imagine your TV changing scanrate every couple of minutes, and work out how long it'd take for it to break... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Thereby neccesitating your purchase of a new Sony Tv.
    I see their cunning plan now....

N00 SONEH WUGGAH TEE VEE ONLEH 999999 YUROH!
    FANTASTIK SURRROUND SOWND!
    PRITTY FLASHING COLOURS!
    SPESHUL PLAHSTASHUNTOO ULTRA DYNAMIC WEFWESH MODE!
    NO UDDAH TEE VEE LIKE IT IN WORLD!
    YOO BUY?
    YOO BUY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I don't see a huge difference between 50hz and 60hz modes anyway. Borders don't bother me either, alot of people mentioned hating the PAL version of DMC for its borders/50hz mode but I dont see how it can make for a worse gaming experience myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

60Hz is flickerless and once you notice the flicker in your tv it will drive you insane.

Ffs ignorance is bliss. Now im gonna be looking for the flicker whether i want to or not. damn you chernobyl!

60Hz is flickerless and once you notice the flicker in your tv it will drive you insane.

Er.

No. PAL televisions run at 50hz natively, and I've yet to hear anyone complain about their broadcast of Coronation Street flickering and driving them insane.

The problem with 50hz games is that they were originally written to run at 60hz (the standard that Japan and the USA use) so usually the conversion to 50hz leaves glitches. In some cases you can get 17% slowdown in a game due to the conversion... Tekken 3, for example, was absolute rubbish in the PAL version due to this. Not that it was much cop to start with mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

There is a defined flicker @ 50Hz which i notice without any difficulty but 60Hz i cant even when i try.

May I humbly suggest the purchase of a television which doesn't suck, then? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement