Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bent pins

• 26-03-2001 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

I have an old k62-500 that i'm setting up as a server. Now when I went to put the chip in the socket 7 I noticed that 2 of the pins on the edge were slightly bent; even so it still fell into place quite smoothly (didnt force it).

I'm wondering, would it work? because I have seen machines that ran fine with bent processor pins.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

as long as they connect theres no reason why it wont work. i straighten bent pins on harddrives, processors etc all the time. just dont break em off or your buggered rob smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

hmm it appears the mobo itself is buggered, It powers up fine but the monitor doesnt get any signal (connected 2 different ones to it, no luck). Should the machine post even if there is somthing wrong with the cpu?, and report an error at least?

Lucky I still have the receipts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:
    Should the machine post even if there is somthing wrong with the cpu?, and report an error at least?</font>
    I think not, that is to say I don't think so, not that I don't think at all.
    Hum, anyway...
    It could be something else, like the gfx card not being seated properly, but the bent pins on the CPU sound well dodgee... you could do as Eamo said, and gently bend them back into position... but if you've got a warranty - it may be better not to risk breaking them off smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Machine *should* never pass POST if there's a problem with something on the mobo.

Could your problem be elsewhere?

Al.

Well it has onboard graphics.

basically the monitor doesnt get any signal at all from the pc; i know from building pc's before that it should at least do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

does it post?
    what beeps are you getting?
    is there power going into the system?
    what the hell are you talking about?

yes there is power going into the system, the drives spin up.

it doesnt post or beep, just sits there with the fans going.

Advertisement