Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom cancels DSL contract.

• 24-03-2001 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is new or not, but it's on the front of the Business supplement in today's times: Eircom have cancelled their DSl contract with Newbridge Networks, meaning further delays for DSL.

Twats frown.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

that is ****. how much would it hav cost does ne1 know? and how much is isdn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭[-FI-]Barra

so why not just get Chorus Powernet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Something to do with Eircon not doing their homework on the specifications of the modems they were buying and got screwed biggrin.gif

Take it !

They're revising their plans and the rollout of dsl is going to be delayed frown.gif

And Chorus have definately got that 3GB limit which I'm afraid in plain German is 'SCHIESSE'
    You didn't think that they were going to allow the public to obtain decent net access on easy terms now did you ?

Nil Desperandum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ehh 3Gb a month = 24Gb a year?
    sorry I think I'll take that over a 56k modem or ISDN anyday thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

3gig is a lot when you think about it.
    unless you are downloading software or warez or movies or something, its perfectly fine for gaming. how much wouold you use ina night? anywhere between 10 and 50 mg? say 50 mg? thats 50x30 1.5gig for the month, and thats if youre a sad bas7ard with no social life who plays games all the time. and it still leaves you with 1.5 gig for donkey pr0n...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Thats not nearly enough for donkey pr0n frown.gif.
    I reckon i'd take powernet....but they don't know when it will be available in my area.I'm not that far away from limerick frown.gif
    Give me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nightmare1_2001

3Gigs is nothing. Id download that much in less than a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    ehh 3Gb a month = 24Gb a year?
    sorry I think I'll take that over a 56k modem or ISDN anyday thanks.
    </font>

Umm, 3 x 12 is 36gigs a year. Still pitifully low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Licksy20:
    I certainly will bite the bullet as soon as it comes available in Kilkenny... christ it can't be much worse that what we already have..... can it?</font>

Wait and see when it is available, nothing would surprise me about comms companies here these days.
    Better have a damn good read of the small print too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    Umm, 3 x 12 is 36gigs a year. Still pitifully low.
    </font>

haha right ye are.. no wonder my time flies by wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

like i said, depends what you want it for.
    games playing, then yes its fine, unless you plan to be on 24/7
    donkey pr0n, then noway jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

excuse my math but ..

1 hrs gaming with rate set at 7000 would be roughly 25M. So 3GB = 120hrs of gaming a month. roughly. saying theres 30 days in a month (roughly) thats 4hrs a day, if yer doing nothing but gaming. however, general browsing and the odd big download will soon eat into that, esp when you've the bandwidth sitting there, begging you to download a rake of mods/mp3's/divx stuff.

3GB is not enough for a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nightmare1_2001

Got to agree. If you want unlimited downloads, i suggest you get satellite. 2MB per second :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

The 3gig limit applies to their single computer/user residential users doesn't it...
    If the limit is an issue, can you not just get a business contract with them... afaik they have an a/c that has a 10gig limit... can't remember the price but probably 100-120 +vat. ..plus the rate for over that limit goes to 1p / mb afair.
    At the moment, I am paying an average of £140 / month for poxy 64k (allegedly) ISDN.
    My main worry with chorus is the lack of a guaranteed bandwidth... they say "up to 512k"... and also, getting 512k from my house to chorus is ok but whats their connection outwards like..?

I certainly will bite the bullet as soon as it comes available in Kilkenny... christ it can't be much worse that what we already have..... can it?

Advertisement