Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Studio Software

Options
  • 19-03-2002 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good starter music studio package.

By starter I of course mean inexpensive.

I have tried the evolution stuff that came with a midi keyboard but I don't find it very user friendly.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

either Ntrack or CoolEdit Pro,

BomB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd reccomend Calkwalk Express for midi, or n-tracks for audio.

If you have a powerful machine and intend to get into softsynths, plug-ins etc I'd go for a Cubasis the latest version (VST 3.0) is very cheap for what it can do it costs about €100.

Go here if you need some general info-
    www.computuermusic.co.uk

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

Thanks for taking the time to help lads.

I downloaded ntrack and that looks like it might do the job.

I also got a loan of cubasis with a view to buying but it locks up my machine.

So that may answer the question of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

On N-Tracks right, I want to record a new track over another. As I record it 'tis grand. When listening to it, I noticed it has also recorded the first track ontop of it, too. Is there an option for switching this off without changing the volume of the first track?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

You will have to use headphones to listen to the first track while you record the second track or else it will pick up the sound coming out of the speakers
    Bomb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

if tis not too late and you havent made a real decision yet you could do an wful lot worse rthan pick up a copy of reason....

Originally posted by bombidol
    You will have to use headphones to listen to the first track while you record the second track or else it will pick up the sound coming out of the speakers
    Bomb

Dude, It still records it regardless of whether the speakers are switched on or not!

Originally posted by Oeneus
    On N-Tracks right, I want to record a new track over another. As I record it 'tis grand. When listening to it, I noticed it has also recorded the first track ontop of it, too. Is there an option for switching this off without changing the volume of the first track?

Not quite sure what you mean by one track over another, but if you mean to record say a second instrument sound to play with the first instrument sound, then you have to select a second track, in the sequencer window. In most software the availible tracks are horizontal one below the other.

Open up n-tracks, and click on Track then click on Insert blank track, midi or audio are your choices.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

It doesn't help :). I know that much. Right...lets start from the top.

I recorded one track(lets call it track 1)...nice...finished...perfect.
    Added a blank one. Then recorded one that(call it track 2)...but it also recorded the "track 1" onto "track 2" aswell. Even when the speakers are turned off.

Okay it sounds like track one isnt muted and the playback of track one is recorded into track two as you record the fresh material into track two. This is a question of routing signals and I'm not familiar enough with the software to give a quick answer, I'll have a go myself and see what happens.

As a matter of interest are you using a sound source like a synth or just using n-tracks to complile cd tracks?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There must be some kind of preference in the software that enables you to change the input/outputs. That problem shouldn't be happening unless you have deliberately routed output of 1 to an input of sorts. Have you routed 1 anywhere?
    I don't know the software though sorry

stop arsying around and get Pro-Tools!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

can't shout loud enough from the rooftops how good Cool Edit Pro is.

so easy to use and 64 tracks of def leopard multitrack goodness

Right here's the solution (I think), record in to track 1,
    before recording into track two press mute on track one,
    on the left hand edge of track one at the top, coloured green when its enabled. Then record away, remember to un-mute, as necessary!. BTW which version of n-tracks are you using, I have 2.2 the design may be slightly diff in earlier or later versions.

Mike.

I still need to hear it so i can get the timing right. Oh stuff it, I'll try out Cool Edit Pro

Advertisement