Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here use Expandsys.com before?

• 19-03-2002 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I just got an email from them asking me to send them a copy of my visa card and passport? (I do have an order with them but others I know who have used it had not have to do that).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I have never heard of expandsys.com before but even if had intimate relations with them every day i wouldnt send them a copy of my visa and passport.

No decent company would ask for that. E-mail or ring them and ask if they actually sent that mail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Tell them to bugger off, take your business elsewhere. Even if they're a legitimate business, that's a gross invasion of privacy.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

yes they sent that mail and I told them I wouldn't give them that information and to cancel the order.

They cited that they needed the information to protect ME from credit card fraud and wanted a photocopy of my Passport or drivers license and copies of the visa card (both sides).

To be honest I would of thought that wouldn't protect me at all. I would of thought between a card checkup and my billing address being the same as the delivery address would of sufficed.

Also after going back to thier site and looking around it isn't really that good an eBusiness site. For example Amazon.com actually let you review your order details to see what you put into it. I couldn't do that with thier site.

I'm half inclined to phone Visa and ask them if that is actually even legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

(Tried to post this earlier but couldn't; sorry)

If they get a photocopy of both sides of your card, including the "security number" in the signature strip, surely it's dead easy for them to "ring" your credit card and screw you out of lots of money?

Also, if you're talking about http://www.expansys.com/ (no "d", as that domain is "for sale", as I was told when I checked, with a pile of banner ads to boot), the crowd who do the mobile phones, PDAs, etc, then I suggest you look at their "Quality Policy", a.k.a. "What we do with your details without your express permission", at http://www.expansys.com/faq.asp, paying particular attention to the section marked "Privacy". Don't like that one bit, me.

Just my 2c...
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i ordered from them before and didn't get asked any of that, but one of the guys here just ordered a phone and got asked for all that too

• Advertisement
Advertisement