Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wires Only..

Options
  • 19-03-2002 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭

"The number of UK users subscribing to broadband has doubled since BT introduced its cheaper, self-install service"

Wires Only is the way ahead!

Im on a Wires-Only ADSL service. BT enable ADSL on your line. No poxy engineer calls. You choose your ISP, with only a 1 month contract so if they get **** you just move. You get what hardware you want, so I have a cool ADSL router, not a silly USB modem, and you can use that hardware with anyone of course!

It would be intresting if they rolled that service out from day 1, Eircom, Esat and others would have to compete on all fronts forever, not just to get you into long contracts..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep that would be my preferred solution. I really don't want to have to buy the POS modem that Eircon or Esh!te will offer. Plus I like the idea of been able to change ISPs if their service gets FUBARED :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Presumably they provide you with some sort of simple install instructions.
    Its basically just a filter so it should be nice and easy to install.
    You have to remember people have been installing their own extentsions to attach the regualar crappy 56k modem for years.
    Is it just a simple splitter(filter) they provide you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

You get a little thingie called a MicroFilter. Its a splitter you plug into your phone socket, one port for a phone and the other for your l33t always on net connection...(not really any different from the things you plug in to get 2 phone sockets, if you catch me)

You plug your ADSL modem/router into the ADSL port and your off..

All the routers have plain and simple instructions. My ISP (Eclipse)is popular cos their connection is great, and they have 24/7 support on the end of a local call. Support staff have a clue, not minimum wage muppets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

sounds like a plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr99

It really P***es me off the way you have to pay for an engineer to install all these new services, How bloody hard is it to plug a box into your phone line and a USB DSL modem into your computer (or Ethernet card/Ethernet DSL modem combo, if you have ANY knowledge of computers). It's the same with NTL Digital TV (not net, I am so not in one of the two way areas), I paid them to send some guy out to attach a splitter to my line (just screws on) and put a box under my TV!!!
    This sort of wires only service should be the default, with the option of getting a engineer to call, if you need it (for my Granny).
    It's all a bloody con I tell you...
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

jaysus.. getting severly tempted to pack my bags and move back to England....

Its the BT self install service fixed at 512k? What I mean is can you ring them up and ask for more bandwidth like you can with a leased line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

when i phoned chorus about 6 months ago, just with general enquiries, they told me the huge charge for an engineer to come install the stuff was manditory. the reason they gave was that users are idiots (which is completely true) and usually end up spedging everything. Granted, you and I can do this sorta thing, but the average customer who has difficulty tying his shoelaces in the morning has more difficulty. This way chorus couldn ensure that everything was as it's meant to be, should anyone ring techsupport.

Still, I'd say the only people stupider than users are the kind of people who might run a telecomms company, read that article about BT Wires Only, and then NOT do the same thing with their company, Eircom.

We shall see...

Advertisement