Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with RF peer to peer network

Options
  • 19-03-2002 4:25pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I have set up a two machine peer to peer network using Orinoco 11Mb RF network (PCMCIA) cards.

I have file sharing setup on both machines and both are showing up in "network neighbourhood", so that's no problem (nor is drive mapping).

However, all is not well.
    The two main problems I'm having are:
    When accessing data on machine 1 machine 2 slows to a crawl (data transfer rate seems to be crap).
    I seem to lose comms a lot, ie: I could be doing something on machine 2 with the data on machine 1 and when I try to write (save) the data, machine 2 may lock up (the application actually) due to drive E becoming inaccessible (in other words the network will stop communicating).

The network seems to be quite unreliable, is this usual with RF networks and would I be better off scrapping this RF sh!te and going with proper network cards ?
    Or, is there anything I could be doing/have done wrong ?

Another question I have is:
    How many PCs can I run on a peer to peer network ?
    I don't want to get into installing a proper network (with an access point).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Hi Samson,

Just a few things...

1) Wireless can utilize up to 55% CPU time on a client....so if you have a low-spec system, then you can see issues like this.

2) It is better with RF NOT to map a drive to a drive letter, instead just create a UNC shortcut on your desktop instead. When you map a drive letter, explorer and computer browser service can indeed cause your system to appear to 'hang' when it polls this device at regular intervals...
    (...this was also the case in the old days of Novell IPX-client software on a Win9x system when any Novell servers went down.the Novell client would hang the system completely...)

3) What envoirnment are you running on WiFI? By any chance, from each Node, is there anything which can cause heavy interference? i.e. gasboiler, shower, blah blah..?

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Ba$tard
    3) What envoirnment are you running on WiFI? By any chance, from each Node, is there anything which can cause heavy interference? i.e. gasboiler, shower, blah blah..?

..... 40 foot container :)

Advertisement