Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jeff buckley

Options
  • 19-03-2002 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

i was listening to grace by jeff buckley yesterday and it is totally class. it has to be one of the best records i ever listened to. anyoneelse agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Do a search on this forum for jeff buckley and you'll find many who agree with you. I would be one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

without a doubt one of the finest artists ever..... check out some of the stuff not on Grace as well..... A truly tragic loss to the world of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Pure class...also check out
    Lover, you should've come over, Mojo pin and Dream brother
    And.......I wrote the Grace tab at olga.net
    which has a few minor mistakes that i didn't notice till after i submitted it, but they are minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

He was an amazing talent. he played in Whelans twice I wish I had of been old enough to see him. He also saved the Radiohead when they were recording the Bends

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

all true
    he rocked!

/me sticks on Hallelujah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Such a lovely singer, tragic loss to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

you should check out some of his live albums, such as live at l'olympia, mystery white boy, etc and the biography of both jeff and his father tim buckley. its called dream brother by david browne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

*smile* I think we're all in agreement about J. Buckley...

...don't forget to mention the band tho ;) Kick ass.

Luc

PS. The 'Live in Chicago' DVD is excellent too, the instrumental version of Vancouver rox my sox. :)

That live in the l'Oylmpia is damned expensive!

Originally posted by Lucutus
    *smile* I think we're all in agreement about J. Buckley...

...don't forget to mention the band tho ;) Kick ass.
    The Band is quite excellent, I love the drumming on Dream Brother

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 phil_h

What a miserable swimmer:D

ooh- that's just crass!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I saw him live in the Tivoli 7 years ago, he just blew me away, at the end of the gig he just threw himself off the stage into the crowd for a little bit of crowd surfing, a very memorable gig.
    What an amazing range his voice had.

Yeah Jeff buckley had an outstanding range:

"Jeff Buckley was a light lyric tenor. His very different registers were blended marvelously. His chest, voice, and head voice were perfectly integrated. His falsetto was good, too, and his fluctuating between falsetto and head voice is something most singers are very jealous of. His tessitura (or comfortable singing range) was between E below middle C, which he often started verses on- ("Grace", "Lover ...", "Last Goodbye"), and the notes D right above middle C and F# just above that- in most of his choruses. He also used his high A frequently. A typical lyric tenor tessitura. In other words, to the unacquainted, the same range as Pavarotti. Except, Jeff was very fond of the alto register, which he would exploit in falsetto, or coordinated head voice (a fuller, wailing type of voice).
    "His lowest note was on a live version of "Dream Brother" (on the Australian Grace album pack- it must have been the weather!) and it was the second A below middle C -- this is quite low for a high tenor voice. He loved to wail in head voice on the high E, which he did on half the songs on Grace, but mysteriously stopped doing them on Sketches .... This was high "showstopper" note, I guess. For example, in "So Real", at the outro, he sings the high E, and then scoops up to the High F# , this is very high, even for a tenor. And it's not in falsetto -- falsetto is quite easy to do for most male voices. No, this is in a coordinated head voice -- that's a full sounding voice -- very difficult to do (or at least sustain) at that pitch! Jeff's head voice (not falsetto) was quite unique. He could sing in an alto range quite effectively- check out "Strange Fruit" on the "Man in the Moon" session -- breathtaking; or the Edith Piaf cover on Live at Sin-é. And evidently his voice wasn't up to scratch on the day of the "Man in the Moon" sessions.
    "His highest note is on the B-sides on Sketches ... on the track "Gunshot Glitter." It's an Eb above the soprano high C!!!! This is coloratura (high agile soprano) territory! It's kind of a squeaky falsetto note- only for a second, but it's technically phenomenal- it sounds like he was just playing around. Another phenomenally high passage is in the jazz scat in " The Way Young Lovers Do" on Live at Sin-é. He actually gets into the super-register, normally reserved for trumpets!
    "Anyway, his voice was magnificent. And his breath control was phenomenal- the sustained notes in "Mojo Pin" are very, very hard to sustain the way he does."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

What Absolute Twoddle Giblet.

Originally posted by FreaK_BrutheR
    What Absolute Twoddle Giblet.

WTF are you talking about?

Originally posted by Giblet

WTF are you talking about?

to the uninitiated, that passage, (which i can only assume is taken from a music theory book or something,), could be perceived as twoddle.
    however, to anyone who has any clue about the mechanics of music, it makes perfect sense.i knew he had an enormous range, but that's phenomenal! rather than the typical guitar strumming singers you usually hear, he was a true musician. it just makes you realise just what a versatile instrument the human voice is! very interesting piece, giblet, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

A good read that passage, thanks giblet. I don't know enough of that stuff, must go read up... /me wonders if there's a 'book and tape' type guide on sale somewhere *smile*.

As for you Mister EFFBEE, your crayons are over there, just outside the door, you'd better get back to them, go on, there's a good boy.

(muahaha)

Luc

Oh, one more, phil_h, bold. Less 45 respect points for you (which, starting at 0, leaves you at an overall -45).

Yeah It was on some website which i can't remember the address of. It was very good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

duet with alim quasimov on live at olimpia album called

"what will you say"

best song ever

• Advertisement
Advertisement