Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best download manager?

• 20-03-2002 3:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

I was just wondering what download managers do people use these days. I don't use one myself because I don't have need for one. I'm in plassey village in University of Limerick so I basically have a big feck off connect 24hrs a day. But alas this is my last year and I was wondering what do people in the "real" world use to manage their downloads, ie recovering from disconnects and scheduling the downloads. I used Gozilla a couple of years ago but surely there is something bigger and better now?
    Maybe someone in the know could put up a poll with a couple of common download managers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

i use Getright ,mainly cos i can pause downloads and resume them so if im surfing i can get a little bit each time also it will find other mirrors if the original one stops serving the file for some reason.and being on a 56k its a must to have .
    Kdaj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I use FlashGet and t'is quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Er, I use wget :) (see the beard?), the new version 1.8.1 has a neet new feature which can throttle download speeds which is deadly for those people who may IRC via ssh from remote boxen... i dont know too many people who do that, but this feature does help.

Anyway, wget is nice. stick all the urls u want downloaded and just use the -c option which is basically resume. the -i option allows you to use the file with the urls in it.

it may not be some fancy windows based download manager but it works a bloody treat and it gets better with every version realeased :)

Regards,

Paul

p.s. wget is available on almost all unix distrobutions. if its not included in yours go to www.gnu.orgsoftware/wget/wget.html and get version 1.8.1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Dowload accellerator

www.dap.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Defiantly use download accelerator it is by far the best I have used every one that i could get my hands on and i have come to the conclusion that DAP is the best have a look on tucows.com for it. It supports resume, searches for other mirrors and best of all it connects to the server multiply times (up to 8) it gets part of the file from each which means it REALY increases your speed especially if you are using any form of broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

download accelerator plus is at
    http://www.speedbit.com/

cant hyperlink sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

getright all the way baby - for about 3 years :cool:

getright has that segmenting thing aswell which can improve speeds but only to the max of your conenction ie 8k on my isdn

- i used it for downloading DoD2.0 and i was getting liek 3 and 5 k from different servers - turned on this segemnting lark and got the full 8k

it would be very handy on braodband tho but with fagat 3 gig caps.... :rolleye:

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I use DAP with me dsl. Its grand, works and doesnt crash much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

DAp, ive used if for years, leach ftp for ftp sites though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I used to use Go!Zill. Great program. Then i found getright and i've never looked back.
    Excellent program

Advertisement