Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting isdn at 128k

• 20-03-2002 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I was told this can't be done on win98 cause theres a bug, i can't seem to get it to work anyway, connects at 9,600 if i do try. Anyone have any idea's on a fix?

Im hardly ever going to use it cause its so expensive but i wanna try it once or twice maybe :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

It should work alright (though I haven't tried it for ages). You have to set up a connection in DUN and then use multilink to bind the second channel. You also have to dial into an ISP that supports 128k. If none of that works, try downloading the latest version of dial up networking:

Windows 98:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/win98/Update/17648/W98/EN-US/dun14-98.exe

Windows 98SE:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/win98SE/Update/17648/W98/EN-US/dun14-SE.exe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What TA are you using?
    Like The Cigarette Smoking Man said, with some you have to setup a multilink connections. Others install a MLPPP protocol which you have to use. And I think some of them have config. software that you can mess around with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

isnt ocean the only free isp that supports 128k isdn?

Originally posted by flamegrill
    isnt ocean the only free isp that supports 128k isdn?

Yep, afaik it is, all the others charge for the access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

UTV Internet also support 128k access.
    Elive do also, but I find it patchy.

Ronan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Eircom do 128k access but you have to pay for it. I never knew UTV did (now I do, I guess :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Ive got an asus TA, also Cigarette Smoking Man, downloaded that patch earlier, nothing changed. Ive been in multilink, added both lines, changed the isp to connect at 128 bonded and it just keeps connecting at 9,600, i presume thats a port speed cause it still downloads like 64k. Am i doing it wrong? ;/

Thanx for all the info anyway..

Did you look for MLPPP? Also, what ISP are you trying to connect to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Euro ISDN is only 64k per channel, 9600 can only be your reported baud rate on the port, and should be increased, im sure that this would affect your online games play.

So long since I used win98, but if you right click your dial up connection, on one of the tabs the last one I think, there is a button to add devices. many isdn ta's show up as 3 devices, the adapter, line 1 and line 2. Typically you will have dialled out using line 1, if you add line 2 save and redial, you should see it dial out and bundling the lines.

You may find that only one channel connects, which happpens to me frequently as I often seem to get the last line on a bank of answering modems ro whatever they are.

If this happens you should get a dialogue box of some sort say only one channel connected.

One of the tabs should also let you access the baud rate of the comms channels to increase it. I used to have mine running at something like 412000 or 450000, and never had problems with d/l or gaming.

im sure a seach in google using "win98 multilinking how to" will get plenty of results.....

Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement