Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Drummer!

Options
  • 20-03-2002 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭

Definatly John Bonham. He'd laugh at todays double bass pedal shenanigans.
    Honorable mention to Reni and Ian Paice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Yeah, Bonham get's the vote. Achille's Last Stand is the only proof you need. Alot of Keith Moon's drumming was pretty great (most of Quadrophenia comes to mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

This has been posted before, but sure fúck it.
    Ex Pearl Jam drummer, Dave Abruzzesse, he had some skill, and soul. He'd be my favourite. Try get their unplugged stuff and you'll see what I mean
    John Bonham - fantastic.
    Jimi Hendrix's drummer - Mitch Mitchell? That was it wasn't it, he's brilliant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Moon and Bonham are class. As is Ginger Baker from the Cream.

Awaiting the obligatory "Satan McHellpants from the Evil Norsemen can play hit the snare 3e14 times per second, ergo he's the best drummer" post. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Buddy Rich.

Eh, haven't we had this topic before?

Luc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Lucutus
    Buddy Rich.

Eh, haven't we had this topic before?

Luc

Buddy Rich is indeed cool.

And don't complain, it's always fun to have a topic like this come up once in a while.

As for my vote...

Jan Axl Von Blomberg, aka Hellhammer.
    The man cannot be bettered on any field, he's a master of every style of drumming, and plays with about 50 different bands. He also plays with a load of jazz bands, and such-like. Was also in the guinness book of world records.
    Watching the Mayhem video, and just seeing the stuff he does, it's unreal. The man is completely inhuman.

Also:
    Nick Barker - Cradle Of Filth/Dimmu Borgir/Lock-Up - He's one of the fastest drummers out there, extremely impressive.

Horgh - Immortal - He has some of the best beats out there, and he knows when to slow down, and take it easy too.

http://www.immortal.nu/sounds/immortal_horghdrumsolo.mp3
    Here's a drum solo he did. Extremely astonishing stuff.
    Far better, in my opinion, than the Buddy Rich drum solo I heard.
    Although, no offense to the man though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Robbo

Awaiting the obligatory "Satan McHellpants from the Evil Norsemen can play hit the snare 3e14 times per second, ergo he's the best drummer" post. Anyone?

Wait no longer Robbo .. ^^^^^

You know... I'm kinda getting the idea that you're taking the mick out of me... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I just have to say, sorry if this offends you AngelWhore,
    that The Cradle of filth drummer is so bad sounding. Everything sounds the same, and that double bass stuff he does sounds rubbish, he overdoes it.
    Bonham used to do that stuff with one pedal for a laugh, and he had a fúcking huge 26" bass drum to make him extra loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Lombardo - untouchable.

Listen to him on the Grip Inc stuff. 4 double bass at once - unbelievable.

John Bonham could keep up with most double bass drum players with one foot.
    Reni could too, but he also had his floor tom tuned down.
    Ian paice is just mad.
    Just remember though. Bonzo was doing fast bass before anyone else (well nearly)
    Jazz drummers are are mostly excellent, but seems as no-one really knows them it' best to leave them out as it'd be hard to do a comparison.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Giblet
    I just have to say, sorry if this offends you AngelWhore,
    that The Cradle of filth drummer is so bad sounding. Everything sounds the same, and that double bass stuff he does sounds rubbish, he overdoes it.
    Bonham used to do that stuff with one pedal for a laugh, and he had a fúcking huge 26" bass drum to make him extra loud.

No offense taken... Just yet...

Just have to ask this though.

Are you talking about Cradle's Current drummer, or their old drummer?
    Because there's a huge difference.

Although, I shall probably have to challenge you to a one-on-one, un-armoured SPORK fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭potlatch

Moe Tucker (VU).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Originally posted by potlatch
    Moe Tucker (VU).

I was just about to say that!!

Moe rules.
    Her drumming on 1969 live is amazing...

The guy who plays on "Her ghost in the fog" is annoying,
    But I dont know if he is new or old.
    And I dont know the name of the albums, so i can't tell which one he's from.
    But I had to listen to them CONSTANTLY over the summer, due to friends liking them and the drumming went through my head.
    So it could be a mixture of the old guy and the new guy.

Also isn't a spork a spoon-fork. They should make one, but they would have to overcome one big bug in it's construction.
    The fact that using the sppon section would involve stabbing your self in the back of the throat.

Originally posted by Giblet
    The guy who plays on "Her ghost in the fog" is annoying,
    But I dont know if he is new or old.
    And I dont know the name of the albums, so i can't tell which one he's from.
    But I had to listen to them CONSTANTLY over the summer, due to friends liking them and the drumming went through my head.
    So it could be a mixture of the old guy and the new guy.

Also isn't a spork a spoon-fork. They should make one, but they would have to overcome one big bug in it's construction.
    The fact that using the sppon section would involve stabbing your self in the back of the throat.

Her Ghost In The Fog, 'eh?
    In which case you're completely forgiven.
    As we'd be pretty much talking about two completely different bands at that stage.

Listen to the albums "Dusk... And Her Embrace" & "V Empire" to hear some PROPER drumming.

The drumming on Dusk is nothing short of astounding. It's all just so emotional and atmospheric.
    There's a part on one song where it's nothing but the bass player and Nick doing this breath-taking cymbal work, and it's just one of the most fantastic sounding peices I've ever heard. So atmospheric.

Of course, that's back where they were a band worth listening to. Not now when they're just a crap band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

Bonham or rage's Brad Wilk. definitly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Im surprised nobody has mentioned Neil Peart [Rush] yet. IMHO he is the greatest drummer that rock/metal music has ever produced, certainly far better than Bonham (and I am a huge zep fan!!!). He makes the drum seem like an independent instrument, as opposed to merely providing tempo, which other less talented drummers do. Even my uncle, who is a classical pianist!! remarked on it one day while he was in the house!!!!

For thrash/death/black I think Lombardo - others are faster but I think the quality of his fills are outstanding. Gen Hoglan would get an honourable mention.

Q

Yeah Neil Pert is really good at playing drum beats at strange time signatures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

for Groove feeling, its gota be Phil Rudd

for the human drum machine, its gota be Chris Slade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

anyone for cozy powell? but it's not only technical aptitude that makes a great drummer if you ask me...

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭binman

I'm not much of a fan of theirs but Igor Cavalera of Sepultura is the best drummer i've ever heard, he makes Sepultura listenable. Just check out the intro to "Territory".

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Chris Vrenna... formerly of nin (live_,
    now has his own project called tweaker.. but the early day & tds (live boyo!) nin drummings were NYOM :O)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

John Bonham, Dave Grohl

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

drummerboy.jpg
    U R SO 0WN3D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Played Syx.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ray Herrera from Fear Factory (R.I.P.) ... the man is a machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Shudder agreeing with angel whore :(
    The drummin on dusk and her embrace is class and probably the best i've heard

Originally posted by Molly
    Shudder agreeing with angel whore :(
    The drummin on dusk and her embrace is class and probably the best i've heard

W00T!
    Someone in agreement.

And that drum solo Nick does on the title track is astounding.

Raymond Herrera is dead?!?

Jesus, must root out Demanufacture from my stint as a metal type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Scon

Please someone mention Danny from Tool or Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews Band.
    Even if you don't like the bands you have to appreciate their skill.

Advertisement