Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

webcam fun!!!!!!

• 20-03-2002 4:05pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry I hope im in the right forum for this.An uncle of mine has just bought a webcam and has asked me to set it up in such a way that he can talk to/ see his brother and family( who have also bought a web cam)in America.Obviously saw one of those ads on the Tv advertising web conferencing -- think it was an ad for Microsoft or something.Is this possible and what do I need to do it.What type of FPS should I expect.And do I need some sort of browser so that the two of them can be online at thesame time??
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

it will be about as much fun as a day in the rain by the beach.

Currently, internet access in this country is so bad it would be almost impossible to have a conference of any kinda via the web.

Tell him to forget it and ring his brother, as its fairly cheap nowadays anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by richie18
    Sorry I hope im in the right forum for this.An uncle of mine has just bought a webcam and has asked me to set it up in such a way that he can talk to/ see his brother and family( who have also bought a web cam)in America.Obviously saw one of those ads on the Tv advertising web conferencing -- think it was an ad for Microsoft or something.Is this possible and what do I need to do it.What type of FPS should I expect.And do I need some sort of browser so that the two of them can be online at thesame time??
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thx
    Should be easy enough to set up...
    Use the install CD that should come with the webcam, that should install it fine.
    Install NetMeeting (comes with windows), you might need an update... so check microsoft.com for it.
    Once you've all that done, it's just a matter of connecting one persons netmeeting to the other using either persons IP Address . (either party can use winipcfg.exe to find their IP address in win98/95)
    Netmeeting has some good help files if you need more step-by-step instructions on how to get a video conference working.

As regards connection speed and FPS...
    I wouldn't expect much if your uncle is connecting with a 56k modem, although it will work - you'll get very low FPS (1 or 2) and the sound will be pretty poor.
    Video conferencing is quite a bit better with 128k ISDN, which is about the best connection most home users in this country can get right now.... at least until ADSL comes along.
    I sometimes use 128k ISDN to 'NetMeet' with my brother in Canada (to his ADSL) .. and the quality is fairly reasonable.

As flame said, you're probably better off using the phone, and maybe just emailing pictures back and forth :)

Advertisement