Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking file sharing programs

Options
  • 20-03-2002 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

hey

just wondering if anyone knew a way to block of these file sharing programs ( kazaa and such ) i am running win98 se i don't want to set up a firewall and my little brother keeps downloading them. he leaves them running and the fone bill is way up. and i keep getting terrible lag playing games any help will be well apreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

you need serious firewall software that allows port blocking internally and externally.

i recommend freeBSD, or Cisco PIX 6.1.

Seriously, limit the shared ports internally to 80 and 443, and the spawn of satan can't do a thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

install win2k and lock your pc down

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

^ what WWM said. Simplest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I reccomend sygate personal firewall. Its freely downloadable from sygates site (look it up yourself)! :)

Its so easy to use, and its free for personal use.

I didnt know about MsMessanger sending info on me to microsoft, until i installed it.
    It watches what comes in and what goes out, and lets you know.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Tiny Personal Firewall is another decent one

http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny?pg=tpf_summary&la=EN&va=aa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

reccomend sygate personal firewall. Its freely downloadable from sygates site (look it up yourself)!

Agreed - a firewall will allow you to say which programs have access to the net and which ones don't.

NOTE : Make sure you have allowed all necessary programs access before you password the firewall (sygate or zonealarm). This will prevent your family coming down with a case of "the internets not working" syndrome.
    To do this simply install the firewall and then proceed to use all the programs that you want to allow access (the firewall will prompt you for you decision as to whether to allow them access).

Piece of piss, honestly

www.zonealarm.com

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Not only that if it's W2K I'd set up quota limits and set him to only have 500mb of space he can call his own on the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Originally posted by jim_bob
    my little brother keeps downloading them. he leaves them running and the fone bill is way up. and i keep getting terrible lag playing games any help will be well apreciated

Beat him within an inch of his life. Little brothers who cause you lag are worse than biological warfare. :cool:

Alternativly, you can disable the option to share files with others from within Kazaa, Wont help on your phone bill problems much, but it will help you stop being lagged everytime he goes AFK and someone starts downloading from him..

Rent

Advertisement