Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus News for da dubs

• 10-03-2001 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Lo peeps

Just a note to say hopefully tommoro ill be on chorus local loop hehe.But more in keeping with the heading i was asking about the powernet and the nice lady said that dublin south was next in line for it.I dont know how they got arround NTL`s strangle hold but there you go hehehe. This was a sales rep so god knows if its true or not.This very same woman told me limerick has it already privided by the keeper hill transmitter which happens to be the one i get my signal from but she wasnt able to tell me if i could get it go figure. biggrin.gif

Stone biggrin.gif
    [chorus]Nice people shame they dont have a clue biggrin.gif

ps i am in range of said transmiter its only good for 20 miles im only about 7 miles away huuum

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

D'ya know what really ****ES me off about boards.ie? No really, do you know what really gets on my wick? It's this kind of crap. Stop acting and talking like a sad little ******* script kiddy - which real hackers have absolutely _no_ respect for - and grow up. Act your ****ing age, dickwad. Even if you're fifteen years of age, you should know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hmm. well that reply made sense I guess.
    looks like he meant to reply to a totally different topic.

anyway..

as long as the transmitter is plugged in your sorted smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

Hhahaha id say so either that or the medication is wearing off lol.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THE SPERMINATOR:
    Lo peeps

Just a note to say hopefully tommoro ill be on chorus local loop hehe.But more in keeping with the heading i was asking about the powernet and the nice lady said that dublin south was next in line for it.I dont know how they got arround NTL`s strangle hold but there you go hehehe.
    </font>

Apparently, this is going to be a wireless network with the base station in the Three Rock mountain. It's due to start at the end of April. NTL have a monopoly on cable tv but not internet access or telephone services.

I wouldn't have thought this sort of thing could work with thousands of potential subscribers in a single node without serious degradation. Any opinions?

Personaly i would have thought they would have had big probs what with dub being so built up and a service that uses line of site technolagy.Cable for citys coz of the high population in relation the area would be the most sensible solution.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

ummm wireless network?, did I hear that right?

I really dont buy that. In fact it sounds crazy and stupid, do they really expect people to believe somthing thats not even out of the experimental stage?, instead of proven technologies like xDSL and cable.

anyway, the frequencies needed to transmit data at the kind of speeds they claim would probably be a public health risk smile.gif

pants, all of it! biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:
    ummm wireless network?, did I hear that right?

I really dont buy that. In fact it sounds crazy and stupid, do they really expect people to believe somthing thats not even out of the experimental stage?, instead of proven technologies like xDSL and cable.
    </font>

Yes. xDSL and cable would be the way to go. Shame NTL and Eircom are sitting on those technologies in the Dublin area and generally holding the country back. NTL are in breach of their licence here and hopefully the ODTR will revoke their licence.

My (limited) understanding of wireless networking is that saturation quickly occurs like on a local area network. Only one transceiver is broadcasting at any one time and collisions occur if too many are on the same node. Nevertheless, this is what they are planning to do in the South Dublin area and what they (supposedly) have done in Limerick.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    pants, all of it! biggrin.gif
    </font>

Yup. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

My bike has a shiney new bell.

OOOHH,I hear laughter in the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

you can get wireless right now, but there selling it to companys and there just starting, there just selling it to lease line customers.
    there quoteing 15ms from your node to there one

Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THE SPERMINATOR:
    Just a note to say hopefully tommoro ill be on chorus local loop hehe
    </font>

err so whats the story then?
    are you on it or not? smile.gif

• Advertisement

Not on it yet its worse than trying to restle a ride out of a virgin getting chorus to stump up a service i know i can get that they think i cant!!!.I shall explain im getting a signal from our local transmitter which is about 7 miles away our reading for digital is is 77 which is on 3 points short of the max signal possible.The problem is that to get this signal weve had to use a 25 foot arial on the side of the house we are in a dip ya see the problem with this is there is only one engineer around these parts that has the guts to work at that hight.Unfortuanely for us the wrong engineer came out took one look and without even trying says no you cant get it here and buggered off now the report he sent in is stuck on the computer which is stopping the good engineer getting a work order to come out to us.I have spoken with this [good] engineer and he,s pretty sure we can get it so all we are waiting for is the order to get to him which is now hopefully sceduled for thursday.Trust me its way more complicated than is writen here but it would take to long to explain all the crap ive had to wade through to get this far.

Stone biggrin.gif
    ps i was going to post a blow by blow report on how things were going but its all repartion at the mo ill let you know if i final break the buggers hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

anyone know anything about NTL giving cable in lucan?

last i heard they were supposed to have cable here in january, or something.. we got dropped leaflets advertising about ntl's modem internet service, nothing about cable though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

yo sperm, did ya ever get that installed?
    im in limerick and i think they are coming out to me house on thursdday----

email me at cstrike@bayridge.ie

212.120.138.69 bayridge cs server

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

my ex has just moved into a house in lucan that has ntl cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Buy her flowers Eamo smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Where is Three Rock? And this line-of-sight malarky - can I see it from Ringsend?

No doubt the end of April actually means the end of April 2010, not unlike NTL's timescale, in fact.

Has anyone noticed that IOLnolimits has disappeared. Unmetered access in Ireland has effectively ended. What a great country? We're leading the world Internet revolution.

Please someone/anyone give me cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭[-FI-]Barra

all we want to know is what kinda average pings should it give to us for cs any1 know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

they've stopped offering nolimits for a while now.... it's pretty obvious why...

A) they don't have the capacity for it.... even with the amount of users it has it's slow, and difficult to get on to at peak times.

B) they can't afford it... they did ****e marketing and had no idea how popular it would be. i pay them £20 a month. i'm on the internet almost all the time off peak. that's a MINIMUM of £250 a month, that they have to pay directly to eircom, because they're still paying standard local call rates to eircom for all our internet access

Advertisement