Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI card with serial port?

• 30-03-2001 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

Anyone out there know where I can get my hands on a PCI card with a serial port on it? I've phoned around the usual places and none of them can help me. It has to be PCI cause the machine I'm working with is quite new only has PCI slots mad.gif

It's kind of urgent, I need it for the middle of next week. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

the closet thing i can find is a USB to serial ...
    I can get you the details if you want ????
    but i wasn't able to find anything that was
    PCI with serial
    althought Firewire might do the trick ???

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Thanks, but I don't really have the time (or the knowledge!) to program output for USB or firewire. I have the code written for output to the serial ports, but I have 2 devices that both have serial connections and I need to use them both at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

MAPLIN ELECTRONICS - Jervis St.

Have both ISA and PCI boards with serial ports. PEATS probably do too, haven't checked. Compustore occasionally do but they are 'bout 80 quid!.
    Have you raided anyones skip before. People throw out old 2/3/486's with expansion boards all the time (yes, i'm that sad/smelly).

that's all well and good, but where are all the monkeys gone?

I was in both Peats and Maplin today, and they can't help me. Funnily enough, it never even occurred to me to try Compustore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hmm should be PCI cards available with both parallel and serial ports on them.
    serial on its own is harder to come by though due to the fact that most new pcs have two as standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jazz:
    I was in both Peats and Maplin today, and they can't help me. Funnily enough, it never even occurred to me to try Compustore...</font>

really?

I got one in Maplins about 6 months ago.
    Some generic PCI card with 2 serial ports.

Had to make my g/fs old pc work with her psion and webcam, and the only serial port was being used for the psion, so I picked up a pci serial card and pci usb card for her and fitted them.

They were both 20 something squids a piece. Just have a look around in Maplins, they mightn't know what you're talking about but actually have them in stock.

Have also seen them in various compustores etc.

Work quite well actually.

Must keep my eyes open for a cheap old pII system somewhere though, her p133 system is quite creaky for everything bar checking mail and light webbrowsing and I get all the abuse/tech support calls for the thing.

bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I believe ones witrh serial connections are normally ISA cards. However, try ask for a PCI/IDE card, it may have serial connections on it.

John

alright, I'll have another look around Maplin & I may as well check out Compustore too.

thanks all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I bought one there recently form my local PC builder.

"VSCom PCI 16550 Serial Card"

I didn't study the invoice but I'd imagine it was no more than about 25 quid.

Rob.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"There are Britney people and non-Britney people." - Britney Spears
    </font>

It turns out that a USB to serial converter works on COM3, so I don't need another serial port. Megatron I should've listened to you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

well i'm here to help !!

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

Advertisement