Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEEE Software Development Certification

Options
  • 21-03-2002 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

IEEE COMPUTER SOCIETY LAUNCHES SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT CERTIFICATION
    Following three years of research among professionals, employers and their customers, the IEEE Computer Society has launched a program to certify software development professionals. Certification is based on education and mastery of a Body of Knowledge in software development. This is the only software development professional certification endorsed and administered by the IEEE Computer Society. The deadline to register for the Spring testing period is 15 April. For more information on this new program, visit http://computer.org/certification/

Requirements:
    At the time of application the candidate holds a baccalaureate or equivalent university degree and has a minimum of 9,000 hours of software engineering experience within at least six (6) of the eleven (11) knowledge areas.

I. Professionalism and Engineering Economics
    II. Software Requirements
    III. Software Design
    IV. Software Construction
    V. Software Testing
    VI. Software Maintenance
    VII. Software Engineering Management
    VIII. Software Configuration Management
    IX. Software Engineering Process
    X. Software Engineering Tools and Methods
    XI. Software Quality

The number of hours on the Report of Experience and Education Form must total at least 9,000 hours and software engineering assignment dates must indicate that the candidate has at least two (2) years of software engineering experience within the four-year (4) period prior to the application.

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Do they have mock exams up? I'd be intrested to see how the exam is laid out but TBH I wouldn't be bothered taking it unless it was a work requirement and even then I'd be looking for way more money once I was qualified with it.

Without seeing the tests, it looks at a glance to be very broad. A lot of those subjects could quite easily have exams dedicated to them (eg. Configuration management).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Do they have mock exams up?

No, but they've made sample questions available. Also see the exam preparation page for more info.

I'd be intrested to see how the exam is laid out but TBH I wouldn't be bothered taking it unless it was a work requirement and even then I'd be looking for way more money once I was qualified with it.

Absolutely. But you'd be the closest thing to a Chartered Software Engineer that it's possible to get - clients looking for PMs for big projects would love that kind of thing.

Without seeing the tests, it looks at a glance to be very broad. A lot of those subjects could quite easily have exams dedicated to them (eg. Configuration management).

Obviously it's huge - it's similar to taking other professional certification exams like electricians, civil engineers, etc take - it has to be, so as to be taken seriously by anybody.

Al.

Advertisement