Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Liability Insurance cover

Options
  • 21-03-2002 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Anybody got any helpful suggestions about where to go to get Public Liability Insurance cover?. Have tried a few brokers and am getting outrageous quotes for excess of €15k. All seem to go through English insurance companies, do any Irish companies provide cover? Cheers. Public Liability Insurance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think this is the way insurance is at the moment. Virtually all insurance goes through the international markets. What are you looking to insure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Flummoxed

I am trying to set up a small building business, I hope to have about 2 people working for me fulltime.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well to be honest, in construction it's necessary to have the insurance. There are just too many muppets out there that will kill you / your workers / Joe Bloggs walking down the street. It's hard enough to make people wear helmets and boots (last time I told someone off about their helmet, a sheet a plasterboard feel 3 stories and landed next to him two minutes later).

Remember you have to watch out for the stupidest 10% of the population.

Also be aware of you Employers Liability and Contractors All Risks (including "Contractor Design" and "Project Supervisor (Construction)"). Also the CIF Pension / Sick scheme is cumpulsory.

What limits / excesses are set on the policy?

Traditionally 1% or so of construction costs goes on insurance (what do you expect turnover to be?).

Have you shopped around much? Tried different companies / brokers?

You should get a broker that you can trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Whats the problem with going through an english company??

I would imagine they have more competitive rates given that public Liability insurance is complusory there, and they are prolly competing for business ??

BTW, I've heard there are plans to make it complusory here as well- IMO, its well worth it, especially for small companies because a claim could send you to the wall vis-á-vis the relatively small premium (depending on your sector).

Advertisement