Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD-Writer Driver (Win2000)

• 24-03-2001 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

I hav a philips cd writer, and in my old computer in worked (win95) and in my new computer (win2000) it wont write, it will read, i think i need a driver r is it a different problem? ne1 know a place 2 get win2000 drivers 4 a philips CDD4201/81 cd writer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

i hav tried, but i only win95/98 drivers, know newhere else???

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Surely it's a matter of getting the Win2k compatible version of your Burning software. The CD-Rom should just be controlled by the driver for whatever host controller you have it on (Eg. IDE or SCSI).

ye, the cdrom wrks fine, its gettin it 2 burn, it doubt its the software coz i got nero and a few others and they dont wrk, so i think it needs a driver

• Advertisement

i have nero 5.0.3.8 OEM and the error i get is: Simulation Failed at 2x (300Kb/s) and if u rite at 4x its Simulation Failed at 4x (600Kb/s)

what is the aspi layer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

is it being recognised as a cd-rw in the bios?
    if not, you may need firmware or bios upgrade.
    has the burniner ever worked for you?
    is it actually a cd-r?

ye, programs read it as a cd-r, and it did wrk, but not in the computer with win2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

cd writers dont need drivers, all u need is windows 2000 compatible cd writer software. most of those products u mentioned are windows 9x compatible, and win2k is much different! so look to update ur software for windows 2000, or else get a new os, try WinME or somthin. iv got a philips cd-rw and it works fine.

one other thing, check to see if th aspi layer is installed, if its not try installing it and that might fix ur prob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its strange that you are having problems with win2k, cd burning has always worked perfectly for me in it. I use nero 4, and several different writers, and never had to install any aspi drivers, unlike win9x, which was a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

did you try the philips website? (http://www.pcstuff.philips.com/storage/)they have all the drivers there except for their external drives which are supported by http://www.scmmicrosystems.com/flash.html (look for epat*.* drivers).

that's all well and good, but where are all the monkeys gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Is your new PC an Athlon system? If so either make sure you have the 4.29 VIA 4-1 drivers or set your Hard Disk Controller to STANDARD.

no i dont hav an athlon, i hav a P4 1.3Ghz running Win 2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

have you tried copying at a slower speed?
    are you suing crap cds?

i hav tried writin at slow speeds, but it still ****s up, and i hav used loads of diff cds, mostly good quality

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OJ:
    hmmm</font>

thats a great help sean i have to say. hmmmmmm BRILLIANT

i hav been on 2 gateway, and they said basicly **** off, but then eventually i got one of the tech support people 2 tell me 2 get a firmware update 4 the burner (CDD4201/81) ne1 know where 2 get 1????

ne1 know where i can get the firmware update??????

i hav found out that my cdrw is not win2000 compat, so i hav 2 get a new 1, thnks 2 every1 who helped, but still my cdrw is a piece of ****.

Lucifer - The Prince Of Darkness

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

is it worth buying a new cd-r just to suit this os ?
    wouldn't it be cheaper to just switch os ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

If you do go for a new burner try dabs.com
    I just got a Plextor 32/12/10 burn-proof from them,..........V Nice!

OOOHH,I hear laughter in the rain.

i am goin 2 buy a new burner, i know it would b cheaper, but i can get a new faster burner this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

a good choice, its not worth ditching win2k just cos your burner wont work, IMHO

ye, its an oppertunity 2 upgrade 2 a faster burner neway and the prices hav gone down aswell

Ah **** win2000 and slap on win3.1

NEVER FAILS!!!!

Advertisement