Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C compiler........

Options
  • 22-03-2002 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

Could any man(or woman) recommend a good free C compiler or C software for Windows, so I can do an exciting assignment over easter.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

You could try DJGPP. I've never used it but it seems to be quite popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

i had djgpp installed and its not really that great imo, borland (www.borland.com) also give away their command line compiler for free, and I would say there would be more support for it too.

I dont know how easy it is to get your hands on msvc++ learning edition (i got it bound with a book) but for starting off its the mutts nuts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The enterprise edition of Visual Studio costs something insane like €1000+, however there was a version I saw before that was just VC++ and cost something like a hundred bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Robbo
    The enterprise edition of Visual Studio costs something insane like €1000+, however there was a version I saw before that was just VC++ and cost something like a hundred bucks.
    I think he was talking about C and not C++ or VC++.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

VC++ will compile C programs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

There's always gcc with Cygwin to do cool unix and normal stuff under Windows.

Google to find more info.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Zab
    VC++ will compile C programs....
    Well, I stand corrected :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

As far as I know you can get some all right stuff from www.freewarehome.com

But when I started programming in C, I just picked up a copy Borlands complete IDE on a cover disk from PC Plus. Actually AFAIK, they give away free IDE's all the time. I haven't got around to getting a recent copy of the mag, but they always do a programming workshop type thing, so I would imagine that they throw away a decent compiler or IDE also.

It's worth checking the coverdisk in your local newsagent to see what they are giving away this month. It might save you time scouring the web, and downloading complete pants.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/

thats a good free one.
    bit wierd to set up, but it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

"Dev-C++ ver.4" (v.5 in beta and available)

It compiles C & C++ so no worries there, and its free. It's some sort of graphical interface over the mingw compiler or some such.

Get it here

Apparently it's VERY reliable and top quality compiler. It seems to be well supported with a number of add-ons for openGL, DirectX, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement