Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what makes a rcokstar?

Options
  • 22-03-2002 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

sort of inspired by sinister pete's remarks about air-rage on yesterday's heavy traffic i guess (and they were quite obviously inspired by another pete's out of character behaviour on a british airways flight). actually this has been on my mind for a quite some time, and it came to the front through that. so peter buck is, according to quite a bit of news footage, a rockstar, even though he doesn't think of himself as that, and, speaking for myself and quite a lot of people i know, i dare say most of his fans don't. so what makes a rock star? sure being rich and sort of reasonably half famous (c'mon, peter is not really famous, he wasn't even when r.e.m. were global superstars in the early 1990's. even now most people i know outside the r.e.m. community have never heard of him) as a member of a critically acclaimed band doesn't make a rockstar? to me a rockstar would have some tags of excessive behaviour (alright, so he DID display that on said flight, but it IS out of character and was evidently brought on by some serious medication), some primadonna charisma, whatever you wanna call it. mick jagger is a rockstar, freddie mercury was, if any member of r.e.m. qualifies as rockstar it would probably be michael stipe, but even he hardly makes the mark. the notion of peter as a rockstar makes me laugh, to be quite honest about it. playing a couple of instruments and drinking too much just isn't up to scratch. so what do you feel makes a rockstar? comments please...

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

Keith Moon = rockstar
    Freddy Mercury = not a rockstar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭hmmwhat?

Ahh, Freddie indeed was a rock star. Controversy is what makes a rock star, not how much you can drink...
    Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Jim Morrison, Peter Green, David Bowie... these are rock stars- makes the Gallagher Brothers look like Six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

Rawk points make a rock star

Please consult the Rawk Bible for further info:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35297&highlight=rawk+points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DG - Corrupted

Tommy Lee and the rest of Motley Crue. They were rock stars!!!
    Phil Lynnot was a rock star.

There's loads of em!!!

DG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

syd barret. uber rockstar

see also

keith moon
    peter green
    Mr Mojo Risin
    Duff (He exploded his pancreas with abuse)
    Jimi Hendrix
    Rory Gallagher
    John Lennon
    All of the livers of Aerosmith members

• Advertisement

peter buck by the way, not a rockstar, not anywhere close

just a famous guitarist in a band i don't really like, though Lotus is a true masterpiece.

armed robbery,prison,fantastic talent and a rock 'n roll death

Rob Collins was a rockstar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

rob collins? you are joking aren't you?

ok not of all time or anything and only known to charlatans fans but still a rocknroll life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

Originally posted by clevenger
    peter buck by the way, not a rockstar, not anywhere close
    agreed! :)
    just a famous guitarist
    moderately famous i guess...:rolleyes:
    in a band i don't really like
    *COUGH* :mad: ;) no, seriously, to each their own... even though i'll never understand how anyone can not like r.e.m.... ;)
    though Lotus is a true masterpiece.

you're on the right way my friend, i shall be delighted to welcome you on murmurs.com in about three months time... :p anyway, always great to hear that kind of thing from a non-fan, it's a great song, innit?! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

Well for one thing they've gotta have messy hair

my vote for rockstar numero uno Keith Richards circa. 1972

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Controversy is indeed one thing that makes a rock star.

So, while not being entirely famous, or at least when he was alive, I'd say Euronymous, Guitarist for Mayhem.

There's the whole deal with singer "Dead" blowing his brains out.

Not long after Euroymous was stabbed to death by Varg Vikerness, who was playing bass with Mayhem at the time.

And of course, there was the whole Church Burnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

it's all in that "I Don't Give a Fu*k" strut....asspants help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭pixe

:D

1. A pure rock star dos'nt try to be a rock star........... they just are.

2. They don't follow trends.....they set them!

3. They don't have to repect........they are the repected!

4. Coolness is their natural vertue!:cool:

Originally posted by pixe
    :D

1. A pure rock star dos'nt try to be a rock star........... they just are.

2. They don't follow trends.....they set them!

3. They don't have to repect........they are the repected!

4. Coolness is their natural vertue!:cool:

hum.. than peter buck would be the number one rockstar on this planet... and he has the mess hair, too... ;) i just dunno...

oneArpeggiopete:cool:

dunno, never really warmed to REM though do aknowledge they're a great band,just not really my cup of tea which is odd considering they've written some of my all time favoutrite songs

Lotus
    Sweetness Follows
    Drive

just dissappoint me alot with(what i think) are boring rehashes of tunes of thier own like Imitation of life and that Star song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

the only proper living rock star is Liam Gallagher. You're just a **** if you argue with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Eyeliner__Boy
    the only proper living rock star is Liam Gallagher. You're just a **** if you argue with me

Well then call me ****ey Mc****pants.

That moany tosser is just a ****head drunk.

I think rockstars generally have a good stage prescence.
    When you look up at the stage, and there's a charismatic front-man that really catches the crowd, then that's a rock star.

Rob Holliday from Sulpher, when I saw them nearly 2 years ago was one such person.

And the lead singer from Marduk.
    Came out BREATHING FIRE!
    Now that's a rock-star!

Not some whiney ****ing waste of space like Liam Gallagher.

dunno, never really warmed to REM though do aknowledge they're a great band,just not really my cup of tea which is odd considering they've written some of my all time favoutrite songs

Lotus
    Sweetness Follows
    Drive

just dissappoint me alot with(what i think) are boring rehashes of tunes of thier own like Imitation of life and that Star song

i know what you mean... a lot of r.e.m. songs seem to have a part one and two so to speak. for me they're more subtle redevelopments of one song into the other than rewrites, tho. i guess it's a matter of true love... after 15 1/2 years of constant worship perception changes y'know... *lol*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

rem are pants but drive + imitation of life are great, and my girlfriend swears by automatic for the people...
    ho hum...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

REM are rockstars in a kind of awkward way..........well except for poor ol mike mills .....who is more librarian than rockstar......their excellent songwriters though....take a listen to out of time or automatic theres no denying it......

I always thought Peter Buck was the cool one actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

i don t think theres such a thing as a rockstar.

there might as well be leprachauns and unicorns. rockstars exist if love exist, i don't believe in "true love" as much as i believe in kiwi jelly

Originally posted by anony
    REM are rockstars in a kind of awkward way..........well except for poor ol mike mills .....who is more librarian than rockstar...[

OUCH! never ever post that on the mike mills board in murmurs.com unless you want his crush club after you with blunt instruments! *lol* seriously, as far as i can see it he's probably the most rockstary of the band (regardless of what i said about michael stipe earlier). he has the biggest female fanbase, he, as far as i can see it, applies to the youngest demographic (it's interesting how most people begin their serious of r.e.m. crushes on mike mills, and yes, i went through that too... *lol*), and he's probably the only one who has girls waiting for him at the backstage entrance. not to forget his own stalker with a mike tatoo on her left tit (worrying but true *SHUDDER*). and while there's probably a lot of reason to consider michael stipe's dress sense outrageous it's really mike who takes the biscuit on the rockstar stakes there - nudie suitas are still beyond competition.. *lol* btw - could i borrow that bit about the librarian for my murmurs sig file? i can't wait to annoy people with that... *g*
    ...their excellent songwriters though....take a listen to out of time or automatic theres no denying it......

uhu! :) took me along time to learn to like out of time again, tho... fair weather fan album... :p
    I always thought Peter Buck was the cool one actually

caution! you're in serious danger of receiving the big buckhead bear hug here! ;) (yoghurt infested of course) never sure who i'm more jealous of, him or his wife... sorry, beginning to ramble. could i have some more wine? thanks! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

no!
    no way!
    i do not accept that!

no truth in the rumour!

bono's a dick eh?

peter buck on stage alone playing country feedback (if that's its right name) is quite rock and/or roll

peter buck on stage alone playing country feedback (if that's its right name) is quite rock and/or roll

oh yeah... i tend to rate my bootlegs by the version of country feedback they have on them. *lol* currently it's open race between hamburg and london 98 (insurmountable passion vs. presence of a lapsteel)

Advertisement