Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who banned me?

• 22-03-2002 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Eh??? Who banned me, yesterday I'm assuming, but I don't know the reason why? I can't see the politics board, so I'm assuming I'm still banned from there.
    I don't mind being banned if I was totally out of order, but it's nice to be told you're gonna be banned and why? why? why?

So just tell me why and there'll be no hard feelings :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

you were baned because you bared bonkey to do it, its only temp though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Boston
    you were baned because you bared bonkey to do it, its only temp though

Cos I dared him to do it?? Jesus, I've given other moderators abuse worse than that before - I'm think this is on the thread "People keep it civil"
    I don't think I shuld've been banned over that, that's a rediculous abuse of power. Anyway, fúck it, I know what sort of mod he is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    Anyway, fúck it, I know what sort of mod he is now.

Jeebus Dr. Loon, take a joke. You dared him to ban you, he banned you. Temporarily too. You'd do the same, admit it. 'Tis a little bit of humour. Some people seem to be having an awful Friday today..........

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Why dare bonkey to ban you?
    I think he does his modding very well to be honest, so errm I don't exactly have much sympathy that he nuked you because you dared him too, seems sort of a stupid thing to do if you didn't actually want him to.
    Asking him to un-nuke you seems the logical course of action if I may be so bold.

Hi Lloyd kinda slow tonight

he didnt actually say "i dare you to ban me" he more or less broke a rule and told bonkey how to moderate his forum and do do a better job of it. so he did, he banned him for breaking the rule

• Advertisement

Hold on a sec... I don't recall daring anyone to ban me!!? What did I say? Was I drunk? Can someone go and quote it frmo the politics board, because I don't remember daring bonkey to ban me.... seriously! :confused:
    If I did, of course I can take a joke, but I don't remember this happening

If I were to follow your rules, in fact, if anyone were to follow your rules, the world and these boards would be a very boring, sterile piece of shít run by boring twats. Snap out of it, do your job as a moderator properly and stop being so stuck up.

Wasting your time deleting posts???? I don't get this, it's your job to do that as a moderator... you moderate

OK. I'll moderate.

Have a temp ban for not being able to follow the rules.

Moderated.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Hold on a sec... I don't recall daring anyone to ban me!!? What did I say? Was I drunk? Can someone go and quote it frmo the politics board, because I don't remember daring bonkey to ban me.... seriously! :confused:
    If I did, of course I can take a joke, but I don't remember this happening
    This is the offending post:
    If I were to follow your rules, in fact, if anyone were to follow your rules, the world and these boards would be a very boring, sterile piece of shít run by boring twats. Snap out of it, do your job as a moderator properly and stop being so stuck up.

Wasting your time deleting posts???? I don't get this, it's your job to do that as a moderator... you moderate
    Translation: "I am a moron. Please ban me."

Originally posted by Meh

This is the offending post:

Translation: "I am a moron. Please ban me."

Fúck you Meh?
    Alright fair enough, temporary ban for seeing bonkey's post of 'his rules' as a bit OTT, which he didn't like. That's fine, I don't like him, he doesn't like me. So what I was saying was I thought his rules were a bit much, ie. - basically you shouldn't post anything whatsoever, which may be in any way offensive, slightly controversial, funny, correct, incorrect etc...etc... that's my opinion - I was banned for having my opinion. I never tell mods how to do their job. I suggested he do his job properly, which means not being an arséhole about it.

I'm actually really surprised, nobody agreed with me, as I was agreeing with WWM's "oh shut up" in reply to bonkey's rules. It's funny that no one else sees this. Ah well, such is life. Also, should I have been banned from boards entirely? I don't think so. Anyway, I'm back so it doesn't matter I suppose, although I hope my ban from politics is lifted soon.

Alright? That's it now, end of story. I'm very sorry if I upset any of you with my foul language. :)

i dont think bonkey notices your existance let alone dislikes you

• Advertisement

i dont think bonkey notices your existance let alone dislikes you

Who??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well you did really ask for it.

Bonkey got there before I did.

Gandalf.

Originally posted by gandalf
    Well you did really ask for it.

Bonkey got there before I did.

Gandalf.

Hmmmm... I don't understand this, so I'm going to drop it.
    I know you'd do the same, same type of mod.
    What I will do is thank Cloud for unbanning me from boards.ie
    I don't believe you or bonkey have that right because I said something upsetting to you on your board, but that's the end of it. That okay now? Or do you want to continue telling me you would've done the same and that I deserved it. I get your message and it matters little to me, but I can drop this and so I am.

Nope myself and bonkey are very different, I was actually surprised he banned you.

The Politics board is not our board we are voluntary moderators that the admins asked to mod.

The ground rules are there for a reason and have been built up because of experience of previous problems that have cropped up on the Humanities and the Politics board.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Fúck you Meh?

still breaking rules, bypassing the swear filter is actually a no-no

Simpsons_-_Jasper.gif - "Bypassing the swear filter? Thats a paddlin!"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I never tell mods how to do their job

Oh really? It was only the other day you were giving out about me and keeks on the for sale board during your one afternoon spam fest.

Originally posted by veonix

still breaking rules, bypassing the swear filter is actually a no-no

Is it? Ive done that God knows how many times and no1's said anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Hey Doctor, I dare you to dare me to ban you. I triple dare you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by amp
    trust me it really easy to get amp to ban ya... i know too well

*mumble* stupid hamsters *mumble*

Originally posted by amp

From Boards entirely? Or just your realm?
    Blade, I apologised in a way to you, and I told you I wasn't telling you how to do your job, I was taking the píss. The whole thread was a píss take. Again, if I must I apologise, you misunderstood my jest.
    Bonkey, I don't apologise for, because I was mainly serious.
    Can't we all just get along or is this gonna be a flame Dr. Loon thread?

Go on the Amp* I dare ye :D

*joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by azezil
    trust me it really easy to get amp to ban ya... i know too well

It's not easy, it requires consistent, persistent spaming with often off-topic annoying little posts with nothing worthwhile to contribute to virtually every thread.

I've only ever banned one single person on Games or Webmaster. On both boards it was entirely justified.

2 comments! i looked n "this person" does post some relivant stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

i'm guessing that if he logs out and views the boards as a visitor he'll be abel to see the politics board.

Originally posted by Pablo
    i'm guessing that if he logs out and views the boards as a visitor he'll be abel to see the politics board.

Why bother.... it's a temp ban! Or is it??? Hmmmm
    2 comments! i looked n "this person" does post some relivant stuff

You talkin about me here, cos even I didn't think I posted relevant stuff!

Can someone tell me just how long is a temp ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Can someone tell me just how long is a temp ban?

About the same length as a piece of string.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Blade

Oh really? It was only the other day you were giving out about me and keeks on the for sale board during your one afternoon spam fest.

ahh, and i still hold that thread dear to my heart.

Originally posted by Dr Loon
    I'm actually really surprised, nobody agreed with me, as I was agreeing with WWM's "oh shut up" in reply to bonkey's rules.

youre just not as funny or well liked as me.....

wwm has style and a gentle, wamr, loving way with people, he must be a member of the caring profession.

*wwm, will that tenner be by mail order or cheque* :)

you still owe me monies outstanding from the use of my name.....

• Advertisement

sorry, no speaka da englash,

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

ahh, and i still hold that thread dear to my heart.

youre just not as funny or well liked as me.....

Yes, clearly this is true. You are untouchable.

How about ye just unban me now Boston? I've sort of learned my lesson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

<edit:>

<edit: more>
    Just be nice to bonkey and ask him in a very polite way to unban you. The worst that can happen is he says no in which case you are right back where you started, in any case you should ask the powers that be as opposed to 'discussing' this with us other orbs of energy.

Typedef

How about ye just unban me now Boston? I've sort of learned my lesson

ha thats just made my day. whats it worth to ye to get unbanned, got any nice sisters.

The ban has nothing to do with boston. Ask bonkey, he banned you.

Gandalf.

spoil sport

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gandalf
    The ban has nothing to do with boston. Ask bonkey, he banned you.

Gandalf.

:D
    Boston - Bonkey - Very similar names for a slow mind like mine. There was me wondering why Boston seemed like such a nice chap. :)
    Just be nice to bonkey and ask him in a very polite way to unban you. The worst that can happen is he says no in which case you are right back where you started, in any case you should ask the powers that be as opposed to 'discussing' this with us other orbs of energy.

I ain't gonna grovel or beg. I've asked nicely enough as far as I'm concerned, although I did ask the wrong mod :)
    I'll ask again... Bonkey, would you mind unbanning me please? I've sort of learned my lesson. If there was a lesson there.
    If you can't be decent enough to unban me, could someone tell me how long this lasts please?

Thanking you for your time and patience, the new and renewed,
    politically correct, mannerly, non-cursing, lovely, non-confrontational, boring Dr. Loon :)

a temp ban lasts as long as bonkey wants it to last, no time limit

a temp ban lasts as long as bonkey wants it to last, no time limit

Ahhh Jesus, well bonkey, if you see this could you give me more info please?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

<clutches head>
    Make the bad muppets stop!!!

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore
    <clutches head>
    Make the bad muppets stop!!!

DeV.

??
    Why u all being such gits about this?

• Advertisement

not a good idea to call devore a git

*runs for cover and pop corn*

not a good idea to call devore a git

*runs for cover and pop corn*

Jesus.... I give up. I'm saying all the mods that have spoken to me about this have been fairly shítty to me about it. I don't need to be called a muppet for wanting to be unbanned! I've PM'd bonkey anyway, so this thread can stop now, unless of course someone comes back on to call me a muppet for no reason. In which case abuse will be returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I am a muppet.

I meant to lift that ban after 1-2 days, and then forgot. I also managed to completely miss this thread until Dr. Loon PMed me.

I've lifted his ban, and apologised over the duration of it.

Just for the record :

I may have been out of order with the ban, but my reasoning was very simple. Myself and gandalf were asked to moderate the forum, and having posted our original rules, deVore backed them.

People seemed unable to follow the rules, so I posted a more explicit set.

WWM followed with an "oh do shut up", which I assumed was some light-hearted trolling. It may have been serious, but I wasnt going to let myself get dragged into a scrap over it. If anything, I read that one as a lighthearte "I dare you to ban me".

Dr. Loon then backed WWM up - and I read his post differently - I read it as a serious "why dont you sod off with your rules" complaint - rightly or wrongly. He also caught me on a bad day - I'll admit to that.

If people have a problem with the way I admin the board and dont want to follow the rules, then either dont post there, or ask the powers that be (the admins) to replace me with someone preferable.

My job is to moderate, but not to babysit squabbling children, which is increasingly how I see what I am having to do. I consider moderating a "privilege", not a status symbol. If people think I'm doing it wrong, then take it up with me via PM or email.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

must resisit the temptation to call you a muuuuuuu.....

Just joking Loon :)

kayos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Is it muppet week around here or did I miss something ?

Originally posted by bonkey

WWM followed with an "oh do shut up", which I assumed was some light-hearted trolling. It may have been serious, but I wasnt going to let myself get dragged into a scrap over it. If anything, I read that one as a lighthearte "I dare you to ban me".

ahh you see, they do love me more.
    i am funnier!
    i am teh funnihest!!!!

i am funnier!
    i am teh funnihest!!!!
    no i believe its because you're old and senile, people in your state usually spout shoit :p lol

Originally posted by azezil

no i believe its because you're old and senile, people in your state usually spout shoit :p lol

RULE NUMBER 1.
    never lol at your own jokes.

especially when they arent funny.

RULE NUMBER 1.
    never lol at your own jokes.

especially when they arent funny.
    thanx i'll bear that in mind!

Originally posted by bonkey

My job is to moderate, but not to babysit squabbling children, which is increasingly how I see what I am having to do. I consider moderating a "privilege", not a status symbol. If people think I'm doing it wrong, then take it up with me via PM or email.

jc

Aye... cheers.
    After being unbanned, I had a swift browse of the politics board, and there is alot of shíte goin on there... so fair play to ye. Nice 1 for lifting the ban.

I think they just pity you more :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement