Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerleap Pl-ip3/t

• 22-03-2002 2:21pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just ordered my powerleap tualatin to slot 1 converter today.39 sterling incl vat and shipping---not too bad.I ordered a 1.2 gig celeron 2 from CD SOFT in celbridge €141.00 incl vat.Again not too bad.
    So all in all about €190 for the upgrade.Maybe Ill get another few years out of this bx board yet.
    If any one wants to order 1 go to powerleap.co.uk and scroll to the bottom and click on Birchwood computers.You have to order by phone.But hurry as they only have 40 left and they are flying out of the shop.48 hours delivery aswell.
    Ill keep you all posted on how it works out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Do you have a web address cd soft in celbridge?

Good Luck with the upgrade, similar topic in HW Tweaking

Gerry's Thread on Tualatin cpu on a BX Board

Maybe add to that thread.... but definately let us know ho it goes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

website is www.cdsoft.ie & the phone no. is 01-6273211

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

is there a preformance dip, and how much?

you probably get much better performance out of a newer ddr board

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Supposed to be faster than a p3 1gig.Probably due to the 256k level 2 cache(same as the p3) on board.I think the old celeron had 128k.Ive been reading reviews and it seem to keep up with a 1.4 athlon and outdo a 1.0 duron in most tests.so it ll do me for another while.Im happy with the old bx chipset,rock stable and all that.And for that price Im not going to get a ddr chipset and cpu.
    Says it will work fine in most bx boards and in most cases will double if not treble performance.And anything has to be better that this p3 600 im using at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

It will be slightly faster than the same chip on the official i815 mch2 chipset, since the bx has better memory performance. DDR is of almost no benefit to the p3, since the bus is only running at 133, and is incapable of making use of the extra bandwidth. My celeron 1.2ghz chip arrives next week, I'll post a short review.

• Advertisement

didnt say it was, simple said over all performance might be better with a newer ddr board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Boston
    didnt say it was, simple said over all performance might be better with a newer ddr board
    you probably get much better performance out of a newer ddr board
    Could you please, please, please try to make even an ickle bit of sense?
    Just an ickle bit?

i dont have to explain myself to you

Yes, and I said that it wouldn't be because the bus is still 133mhz. And so, overall system performance WONT be better because we are talking about a p3 system.

i believe heat is a factor when measuring performance, now i presume that a newer board actually designed for this chip will product less heat then a jery rigged board. am i wrong to persume that?

when i talk about performance i dont jsut talk about it in the 2d but the 3d.

• Advertisement

1.5 bus voltage is going to produce alot of heat there gerry (well im sure you will disagree)

not thing thats goign to have an adverse effect on performance gerry? what about ware and ttear, wasnt made to be running at that voltage for long periods sooner or later it will slip.

and what about these socket to slot converters gerry, i was allways underthe impression they cause lag time and never perform as well as the simple connection. maybe you can fill me in on that.

and what about the old ide controlers surely 100ata has some performance increase over 66ata or am i wrong.

explain it to me as if im a retard, since that what you think i am

If you look at the forums on overclockers.com, there are many people with both tualatin compatible boards and bx boards, and they notice no heat difference between them. With regard to how long they will last, people have been running them for months already, and there are no indications of failure because of the 1.5v. Perhaps they will fail sooner, but if mine lasts a year I'll be happy, its only costing me 120 euro. It won't degrade in performance gradually, it would just start crashing and stop working. Dunno though, it might last 5 years for all anybody knows.

With regard to the slotket convertor, yes a poor quality one could cause stability problems. Its the reason I'm getting a high quality asus slotket for my chip. The powerleap convertor is high quality, but converting the bus voltage means there is extra circuitry between the bus and your chip, and that can't be good for overclocking.

As for ide performance, well there isn't really any difference between ata 66 and 100, since there aren't any ide drives which can transfer 66mb a second yet. It makes a difference only for transfers from the drives cache memory.
    I think you are referring to the ata33 controllers built into the bx chipset. Yes, there is a bit of a difference between that and ata/100, noticeable only with a fast drive though.
    Anyways, my bx based abit be6-2 board has an extra ata/100 controller so theres no problem.

strange, now im no overclockers.com geek, and im sure everything they say is true, all i have is leving cert physics and that tells me the more voltage you pass through a circuit the greater the potencial differnce(same thing really) and the greater the heat given off. but god im a retard what do i know.

maybe if i had memory heat sinks there wouldnt be any noticable heat difference but i dont have those.

yes i ment ata 33, im surprised you allowed me away with that.

The bus voltage affects the parts of the chip that talk to the bus, not the whole chip. Therefore the vast majority of the chip is still runninng at the correct voltage. So any heat increase is negligble or not noticeable.

What have memory sinks got to do with it?

thanks for stating the obvious os what your saying is that in your opinion its not noticable, hmm whats not noticable to you 1-2 degrees ?

It wasn't obvious to you, I explained it to you. Stop talking ****e about stuff you quite clearly know very little about.

Originally posted by Gerry
    It wasn't obvious to you, I explained it to you. Stop talking ****e about stuff you quite clearly know very little about.
    He cant help it, he has a very rare medical condition called "joe syndrome", known in layman's terms as "Know it all,****wit,retard, must reply to every topic complex"

Originally posted by Gerry

yes i was, but you could have made it clearer what you were refering to when you said no heat will be caused.

celt. tell it to someone who cares

celt. tell it to someone who cares
    I did, I told it to Gerry, not you.

and gerry cares about my mental condition, i dont think so some how

• Advertisement

and i thought you didnt swear gerry?

Obviously I'm making an exception for you.

well Obviously I'm a retard

`Gerry with regards to o/cing these new celerons they should be stable at 1.5 v up to 1.44 ghz,some people are even claiming that they are more stable at 1.55v and that this is actually required to over clock.The cpu is supposed to run at 1.45v and the fsb is limited to 100mhz.To o/c you have to run the chip at 12 x 120fsb and 1.5v+.Cooling shouldnt be a problem due to 0.13 micron core which gives out a lot less heat and only requires a standard heatsink fan similar to a p3 fan.
    Any way Gerry when you get it up and running let us know.I should have mine on monday,tuesday at the latest.Where are you buying the chip by the way and how much you paying for it??????

I've read a fair bit up on the chips, a lot of them are going to 1.6ghz or more. I don't mind running it at up to 1.8 volts. I don't want to settle for less than 133 fsb, 1.6ghz really. Memory bandwidth would be too low, considering I am currently running at 155 fsb, I don't want to take a step down.

I ordered the chip from komplett.ie on thursday, 120 euro inc vat + 5.88 euro delivery. I should have it monday or tuesday, same as yourself. I have to sort the slotket though, I'm buying it secondhand for 15 euro. Would be cool to get it on sunday and have it modded before getting the chip.

how did you edit my post like that you punk]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

how did you edit my post like that you punk
    How did the moderator of the board edit the posts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Vexorg

If you do not already know...

The moderator of a forum, usually the person who requested the forum to be set up and whom it is felt would look after the forums in a proper manner, has the ability to do a number of things that ordinaryt users cannot:

for example, edit out inappropriate images, nasty or rude comments, etc etc. They can alos lock and move threads among other things.

If someone has a problem with moderator that can put a case to the admins.

ps just got this in my mail this morning:

PowerLeap is proud to announce the new PL-370/T upgrade solutions for Celeron™ and Pentium III™ socket 370 systems:

For 100MHz FSB systems -- You will want the PL-370/T 1200C with the new Intel Celeron™ "Tualatin" 1.2GHz CPU with 256K L2 cache and Data Prefetch Logic (SKU: PL-370/T 1200C; retail price $149.95).

and they have one for the 133 mhz 1.26 celeron with 512k cache..
    (i didnt know that there was a celeron with 512k cache)

Be interesting to know how these things overclock and can someone mod them to run in SMP, that would be a cool upgrade for my BP6 board.

V.

Advertisement