Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Disco to be Axed?

Options
  • 22-03-2002 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

...So says a rumour circulating on the Hotpress.com messageboard.
    It is strongly rumoured in the halls of rte that the music show no disco is to face the chop at the end of the current run.low viewing figures are said to be the blame.plus rte cork could be completely taken off the air.
    But that's just turned into a saddo slagging match between a few saddos, so I figured I'd re-post my opinion here to get a reaction:

No Disco is one of the best music shows on any TV channel anywhere - in fact there are almost no programs on any of the other channels that play such a broad range of "alternative", "indie", "left-field", whatever-you-want-to-call-it music.

Unfortunately, I firmly believe that a LOT of viewers may have been turned off by Leagues O'Toole...

His recent "Yo" Disco shows were very annoying - I'm not slating Rap/R&B, and I understand that he was trying to broaden the scope of the show even further - but No Disco was always more-or-less an "indie" show. The Rap fans are generally tuned into MTV.

His style of presenting sometimes pissed me off - it's one thing to be a cynical music hack on a newspaper, but it's another thing entirely when you start spouting it on the TV. His diatribes against The Strokes is a good example: they may be a rip-off of 70s NY Punk, but they're adored by plenty of No Disco viewers.

Plus, I found that a LOT of the stuff he's played to be a little bit ropey (i.e. crap), eg. The Mouldy Peaches, Joan of Arse. I always felt he was far more interested in his muso street-cred than playing some good tunes. Someone once mentioned to me that he's only interested in the local Dublin scene. But that's probably not true, as he has played plenty of stuff by regional acts such as The Hitchers (this week), Martin Finke, etc.

Personally, I've kept watching, but mainly because I'll watch any music show. I hope it stays, but I wish they'd have it on earlier...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I have to agree with you. The guy puts me to sleep.
    I know it's been said, but Uaneen really was fúcking great.
    She wasn't appreciated half enough. :(
    He's trying to fill shoes when he wears flip-flops.
    The stuff he plays is generally dross too. And it's all the same.
    There used to be a good mix of indie, rock, classics, dance, electonica and ska, now it's just 3 guys playing Heinz beans cans in a forest who've sold 4 tapes in a pub to píss-heads who were looking for chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah I stopped watching it after Uaneen died. It just got worse and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Only time I watch it these days is when I'm trying to get to sleep quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Can't rely on it being any good (and there was a time when ya could). Haven't watched it in a loooong time. Won't miss it.

RTE will take any excuse to axe anything they can at this point. if after all this they actually get another license increase I won't be best pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i heard that rumour bout it being cut too...
    its definitely not a good thing!

i think leagues just had very difficult boots to fill when he came in and it was always gonna be tough

if he came in and just took over where uaneen left off, people would have slated him for not doing it as good as she did, or for ripping her off... so he had to put his own slant on things... unfortunately i dont think it entirely paid off.

it'll be a very sad day for the irish music industry if no disco gets cut and is replaced by another airing of top 30 hits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

i think leagues has done a superb job (and that's not just because he's played my band!)
    no disrespect to uanaeen, but the show seems to be filling it's remit far more successfully now. out are the half show interviews with the fun loving criminals and ian brown, in comes a huge swell of support for local irish bands, and an often surprising mix of music. it may be hit and miss but i find it far preferable to be played something i may not have heard before (whether i like it or not is another thing) over seeing the charlatans latest for the umpteenth time.
    i'm not much of a hip hop fan either but i though that show was great.

also, don't forget that the policy of the show isn't just down to leagues, it's long been the mainstay of the producer rory cobbe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I'm not surprised it has low ratings, it's on at obscure times now. The only program that equals I'd say is Rianta I think it's called on TG4, it's basically the same but in Irish.
    His recent "Yo" Disco shows were very annoying - I'm not slating Rap/R&B, and I understand that he was trying to broaden the scope of the show even further - but No Disco was always more-or-less an "indie" show. The Rap fans are generally tuned into MTV.

MTV is crap when it comes to rap. It may show Yo! once a week at 1am, but that's about it. And thats usually chart rap like Eminem and Nelly and the like. I thought the Yo Disco shows were good, may not be to every ones liking, but it goes to show that a small program on RTE knows more about hip-hop than MTV does.
    But if No Disco goes, I've still got Rianta to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

a guy that works in the kitchen nite club is a dead ringer for jules....i told him in a drunken state one nite,he said he gets it all the time...poor lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

No Disco, no more woohoo, its been ****e for the last 2 years, since Uaneen died, its been crap, complete and total crap. Thats all I have to say on the matter. They could of course fill the vacant space with static, more than likely provide the same stimulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I'm not surprised it has low ratings, it's on at obscure times now. The only program that equals I'd say is Rianta I think it's called on TG4, it's basically the same but in Irish.

aye.. have watched that a few times, much better than No Disco imo, have seen quite a varied amount of stuff on it.

every time i've watched No Disco he always seems to play The Frames.. cue snoozeland, that said the hip-hop shows were quite decent imo.

• Advertisement

i agree with the_corpo that leagues has done a super job promoting new irish music...

without no disco i wouldnt have known steve fanagan, who's album there is hope is in my top 3 irish albums of last year. also i wouldnt have heard dudleys tune 'quick' which inspired me to buy the album today... havent got to listen yet... anyhow i could go on bout the great bands.... however, where i think leagues fails and uaneen succeeded is in mixing low-profile acts with high profile ones... no disco needs to be appealing to music fans in general not just people into the local dublin scene, but at the same time still needs to cater for those into the dublin scene

as i said earlier... it was always gonna be tough for leagues

also i really do dislike the yo disco shows... not my thang at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

yep....it's crap, pop a cap in it's ass and bring back dave fanning to our tv, presenting a proper indie show. (not 2tv, but when we r on the subject whatever happened to it??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 shaw

Most of the songs that Leagues plays are overly long mumbling dirges which he describes as understated meloncholic masterpieces. Anytime he plays a band outside his circle of friends which other people might have actually heard before, he derides them. The audio-on part in particular has been consistently sh!te since he started the show. One week, the featured 'song' consisted of little more than a continuous drone of white noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 gertrude

i'd hope they just throw leagues out the window and get someone new to do it. mr. o toole is quite partial to really crap songs. he seems to have fallen for a particular niche of endless whining songs by bands that have or will play in whelans soon. he seems to champion bands who have it hard and have always been on the brink of success but never really get there. zorky's zygotic munce for example (sorry about the spelling but it's a toughie). really they should find someone who can find beauty in music of any genre like donal dineen. i know he probably wouldn't do it again but they should try to find somebody like him. maybe they could just find a good presenter and have donal make up the playlists. eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 phil_h

i dont think its the quality of music that in question (the majority of it is excellent), it those dame wanabe arty vids. they are impossible to watch. they all look like they have been made by someone on acid.
    lets face it, if no disco goes all thats left is Rialta. there is also the chance that TV3 could ring back that green room thing with the guy with the funny hair. that a good enough reason if any to keep no disco on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

The arguements about Leagues (who i think does a lot better job than uaneen did) are probably beside the point.
    With RTÉ about to axe most of its home grown production, No Disco will be one of the first to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

From http://www.hotpress.com/music/news/1695347.html
    Whew... Programme editor Rory Cobbe confirms that rumours of the death of No Disco, N2's maverick alt-music hour, are greatly exaggerated

Rumours ran riot today after a posting appeared on the hotpress.com messageboard, suggesting that No Disco was facing extermination in the face of financial problems at the national broadcaster.

Hot Press contacted programme editor Rory Cobbe, who scotched the rumour.

"The current situation as of today concerning the future of No Disco," reads the official statement, "is as follows.

"Colm Crowley, the Head of Production in RTE Cork, has confirmed that due to the current financial situation in RTE, No Disco will be 'stood down' for three months after the current series finishes. The final show of this run is 29th May.

"The programme will return in the Autumn after a revamp.

"RTE continues to support the editorial team and content of 'No Disco' and will revamp the look of the programme for its return."

Personally I hope that "revamp" refers to "Leagues is to be replaced." I do agree that Leagues plays plenty of good music (including good Irish bands), it's just that he plays far too much crap. My biggest gripe is that Leagues appears to be very narrow-minded about what he plays compared Donal Dineen or Uaneen. If it was good, they played it, and almost never came out with any indier-than-thou rants when it was over. Plus, it must have been very annoying for the non-Jackeen/Culchie viewers. Suddenly their favourite music show was being presented by a jumped-up D4 knob-head. Of course, he may not be this at all, but he does give that impression. What was it that yer man from the the Blizzard of Oz said about him? Eternally grumpy indie-boy with a copy of the NME in his back pocket? (Actually, this rant doesn't make me sound any better.)

Oh and
    they all look like they have been made by someone on acid.
    ...there's probably a very good reason for this. :) :cool:

Actually, I wish that TV3 would bring back that music show with the guy with the funny hair - it's better than the alternative: no music programs on TV3 at all. And he did play plenty of good videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Yeah, it has to be said that the standard has dropped since Leagues took over although it was an excellent show last week. There was a good interview with 'the Jimmy Cake'.
    I have to agree that he has done a super job concerning the promotion of home grown talent.
    Whatever happens, Im still gonna watch.

That tv3 music programme was brilliant. Your man was gas. I think his name is Dara. Where did he pick up that accent? He always had good guests and played some great choons. If it wasnt for that show I mightn't of purchased the Lambchop album - Nixon, and that would have been a great shame.

reefbreak...

leagues isnt a d4 head to confirm, he's actually a northsider

that tv3 programme was hosted by darragh purcell who now holds one of the top jobs in mcd... and in fairness to him he's still doing his bit...as far as i know he books all the witness rising tents and all the irish acts at witness.

Anyone see no disco last night? The first half was very good. I really like that choon by 'the streets'. Great new videos from the hives and the wonderful wilt. The second half of the show was different as he played mostly electronica. Im never really listen to electronica although he played some fine choons last night.
    Leagues gets my vote of confidence this week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Yeah, last nights show was good... Plenty of good tunes. Plus he mentioned Limerick twice (taht makes 2 weeks in a row): "Limerick band Woodstar" and "what has this video got to do with Irish electronica? Well, the man himself says he comes from Limerick - at least that's what we were told." ...queue Aphex Twin vid. Apehex Twin is from Limerick???

More, please, Leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

later with jools holland was always my choice.... but i prefer viewers choice on MTv2....

Anyways i much prefer listening to the radio for music.....
    Radio 1 and lyric fm seem to be the best lately i think with Xfm coming in there too.,.....

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

You think its bad that youre losing No Disco? Well I'm ****ing losing the Friday Rock Show on VH1! :(

There are many other indie shows out there. But there ain't any shows to replace The Friday Rock Show (well its more or less metal). :mad: Be happy with what you've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Nearly everyone hates that twat "Leagues"
    Hes filling a dead persons shoes though which is v.tuff

Imo Uneen was far better than him but Donal Dineen was the best if he came back id watch it again alot more ahh i dunno

Anyone see lastnights episode? It was excellent. Videos from the wonderfull Clinic, Pulp, Lambchop, and an excellent video from Joan of arse. The show is deffo improving. He also played some cool electronica which im getting into at the moment.
    I think a few of the phantom dj's could learn a thing or to if the tuened in on a wednesday night.......

That reminds me, the album show on 2fm on a sunday night from 11 is really good.....tune in!

Oi........Leagues........U reading this thread?

Advertisement