Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE and TV3 confirm launch on Sky Digital

• 22-03-2002 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all

This is my first post, but it is a worthwhile one.Rang RTE information department today and spoke to a woman called Bernie.I asked her when RTE would be launching and she said 23rd of April.

Corm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

And what an excellent first post it is !!!

It's great to get a definite date. Let's hope everything goes to plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Unusual day (a Tuesday) to launch. Almost all major channel launches on Sky have been on a Monday.

Big question still is when will the tests start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Passed by Montrose myself today, the dish is upright, and it looks aligned. There seemed to be a couple of blokes underneath it.

As early as next week?

BTW, summat I thought of during the week. As RTÉ will be blocked to GB digiboxes, I'm not sure if information from GB sites will be reilable, as they cant see it. Maybe they'll get an 08 message.

Hopefully, we will have the news first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Corm

I would say they would have to test for at least 2 weeks, so if its the 23rd of April I would think they would test from the first week in April.

Corm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I'd say we could see test pretty soon, I had a look in Montrose today, and the dish seems ready, they might start testing to see if its working.
    Keep watching the Skys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I cant see how RTE can give an official date when as far as I know they hav'nt got the OK from the Broadcasting Commission about a licence yet, or have I missed something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

you have missed something. RTÉ and TV3 got the ok from the BCI a few weeks ago

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    Unusual day (a Tuesday) to launch

from all the channels i remember launching a lot of them launched on a Tuesday. it seems like common practice to launch on a Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Viva

I have a GB card and box but I use it in Luxembourg - why is RTE blocked to these cards? I like watching the RTE news on Tara, but I've heard that channel is to close at the end of the month ... :(

Viva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

Welcome to the Forum VIVA,
    RTE channels and TV3 are not yet broadcasting on Sky, even to those of us living in the Republic.
    As other threads on this forum state, the irish Channels (RTE/TV3 etc) are expected (Rumoured) to be broadcasting in late April.
    However since you have a UK registered card, you still will not be able to receive RTE/Net2/TV3/Tg4 as they will be blocked to viewers with a UK card. they will only be available to those on an Irish registered Sky Suscription.
    You asked in another thread if 2FM will be received in the UK. The answer is Yes... All RTE radio stations, Radio1,2FM, LyricFM, and RnG will be available on the UK registered card.
    On a final note... I love VIVA the TV station. I watch it on Astra 19*, and find it enjoyable to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Just took a look in at the dish in Montrose, it now seems to be pointing vertically upwards again. They mustn't have aligned it correctly. You can get a good view of it from the footbridge if you don't want to fork out for the 46A.
    Man I sound like a real anorak, don't I?

The 23rd has been confirmed in this e-mail from Tom McCarthy -

"Charles
    The on-air date is 23/4/'02 and the project is on schedule. Tests will be carried out two weeks prior to launch. RTE 1, Network 2 and TG4 will be on positions 1, 2 and 4 of the EPG.

Regards
    Tom McCarthy"

Tests two weeks prior to launch makes them appear on Tuesday 9th of April.

Corm, you should be lorded. :)

I was wary, but it is confirmed. Congrats on the scoop of the year so far!

Damien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Maybe, just maybe (as they used to say in the ads for the British National Lottery) this positive piece of information will shut up for good the LIARS (and I have no apologies to make for saying that) who come onto this forum spreading stories "Sky Digital will be delayed" without even so much as a shred of evidence that would stand up in a court of law!

PS Fellas, you know who you are!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I got the same reply as charles did but i asked about what frequency the would be using but i got this in reply to that question.
    We are not in a position announce the frequencies

Damn why dont starting testing 1 week earlier as i be back at college on the 8th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by CHRISTYG
    Maybe, just maybe (as they used to say in the ads for the British National Lottery) this positive piece of information will shut up for good the LIARS (and I have no apologies to make for saying that) who come onto this forum spreading stories "Sky Digital will be delayed" without even so much as a shred of evidence that would stand up in a court of law!

PS Fellas, you know who you are!!!!!

Thats a little strong dont you think, i'm sure their views were sincerely held, lets try and keep it civiliised here and agree to disagree.

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

And now I can offically confirm that TV3 have said that they are expecting to launch at the same time as RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 digitalman

was watching tv3 5.30 news and they had areport on which
    they said they will be launching on sky digital along with
    OTHER irish channels.Love they way they never said rte.

However in the report they said it would launch by the summer
    This sounds like it might be a few months yet before we see it.

digitlalman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

you've got to be kiddin about that summer thing

How reliable is the news of themselves!

I have it that TV3 will launch with RTÉ.

• Advertisement

thats what they said on the news...

i taught the same thing.Unless they are just playing safe by not giving a date knowing that they will definetly be on by then.

Is it on the 6.30 news broadcast anyone know?

They haven't **completely** finished negociations with Sky, I get the impression that Sky jumped the gun with the adverts on Sunday.

As they haven't finished, they given a vague date.

So today TV3 announced that the press ads are fairly true!

23rd is the go. :D

Should've added, I'm merging this and the RTÉ thread, and making it a sticky, just to organise the threads.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

And I've added this latest news to the ICDG http://icdg.tvfromireland.com website.

Bear in mind that Sattelite Content Contracts have yet to be offically signed however...

Thought you might be interested in this post from 22/03/2001. I'm not sure who posted it, as the ids are gone off the old posts. It's amazing how much things can change in a year.

"I got this email back from RTE on the issue of them joining Sky...

"It is hoped that digital terrestrial television will be fully operational in Ireland during the second half of 2002.

The RTE transmission network will be sold off and a new company formed with RTE holding a 28% share. This platform will carry all the Irish channels plus the UK services. Therefore, it is unlikely that RTE 1 and Network 2 will be made available on SKY Digital."

Funny world, isn't it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Found this on another forum...(apologies if it has been mentioned here already...)

> From: Alison Norton [SMTP:alison.norton@tv3.ie]
    > Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 4:25 PM
    > Subject: TV3 announce carraige on Sky Digital!
    >
    > I am delighted to officially announce to you that, after much speculation,
    > TV3 will be carried on the Sky Digital platform.
    > We are currently finalising the details of the carriage agreement and
    > expect
    > that it will be completed this week. TV3 will be launched along with RTE
    > and
    > TG4 on an Irish platform as part of Sky's basic service. We expect the
    > service to begin within the next 6 weeks and I will keep you posted of
    > developments, including launch date, when available.
    > In the meantime, thanks for your continued support. I hope the above news,
    > along with our tremendous audience performance this year to date,
    > reassures
    > you of TV3's commitment to continued growth throughout 2002!
    >
    > Pat Kiely
    > Director of Sales & Marketing

Originally posted by Leesider
    TV3 will be launched along with RTE
    > and
    > TG4 on an Irish platform as part of Sky's basic service

from that i gather Northern Ireland wont be seeing TV3 on Sky

*cough* *cough*
    clearing the dust from my throat.....( having been over on the dig terestrial board )
    But I was away untill about three today,took a quick look at the boards and only spotted this sticky now...!

Well another thing I have noticed in the last few weeks is the high profile advertising of NTL's Godigital...
    A sure sign that whats being talked about here is iminent....
    No rush by chorus digital to talk up their service:rolleyes:

I'm quite looking foward to having EPG info on RTE programmes via Sky:)

mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

The situation seems to be hotting up in the last few days ref whats comming on the BSKYB platform from 23rd April. I would be interested to hear what UTV are saying now. I think they have to say something, especially with the news that TV3 are now officially going on BSKYB. I agree with what is being stated here that Granada and Charlton dont really want UTV being another competitor for TV3, however there's too much at stake in ad revenue for UTV to take all this lying down--- a very interesting situation indeed!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well it would be ideal of both broadcasters worked side by side in both sides of border. The channel on 103 will probably get the most viewers anyway when it comes to Corrie, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Lads,

Hot off the press....Feast your eyes on this .
    Let me know the frequencies asap!!!!RTE channels launch confirmed

RTE are to commence testing on Sky Digital on the 9/4/02.

Then on 23/4/02 they will launch on sky digital's epg (epg number's are to be annouce)

This has been confirmed by the Tom McCarthy, Head of Viewer Information and Technical Publicity at RTE. (25/3/02)(achived: skydigi.20m.com)

Sorry Jez,

It's not so hot off the press, as I posted this information yesterday around 12.30. It's on the 1st page of this very thread.

The information was then copied by someone else and posted on the UK boards, and then copied by you and posted back here again !!

It's a small world !

And besides, I was only confirming information that Corm had already posted, with the addition of the "testing" info.

And this is only a short thread and already this is happening
    mm
    Good to know the auld faithfulls on the ICDG Boards are leading the way :)

I too have also noticed this Charles..... skydigi.20m.com copies stories from ICDG and Digital Spy, and posts them on his own site without any reference etc. I have even noticed posts from this board, copied and then pasted under a different name!!!!!!!

Hmm. Yes. It has been noted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Culchie Boy

Hi to all, i e-mailed Rte & Tv3 about launching on sky and here are my replys.
    Rte Reply
    RTE plans to launch on SKY Digital in Ireland on 23/4/'02. RTE 1, Network 2
    and TG4 will be on positions 1, 2 and 4 on the EPG.

Regards
    Bernie Pope

Tv3 Reply
    TV3 are in discussions with Sky however no further information is available
    at this time.
    Regards
    TV3

"Looks like these discussions take time"

Looks like we will all be waiting until the last minute.

Regards Culchie Boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Hi Charles(Slane)
    It was I who posted the news on Digital Spy.
    Just trying to make the brits jealous.
    Don't worry Charles, If you read it carefully, you are credited with the original announcment

Thanks Carrolls,

For some reason it made me laugh to read myself referred to as "a guy called Charlie Slane" :):):)

Let's keep sharing the information !!

i came accross this report in the irish times this morning.Looks like the north will have wait a little longer for RTE then us as mentioned in other postings.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2002/0327/343602556BZRTESKY.html

digitalman...

Nice one Digitalman, most of the article refers to RTE cash-strapped circumstance, but the last bit has some very good news of the launch and some bad for NI viewers....

"Meanwhile, RTÉ's plan to broadcast its channels on the Sky digital platform to hundreds of thousands of subscribers in Northern Ireland has hit a legal hitch. RTÉ had planned to go live on Sky from April but has been forced to enter negotiations over programming rights with AGICOA, a Geneva-based organisation which represents hundreds of content developers.

An RTÉ spokeswoman said yesterday the firm did not know when these matters would be resolved. The problems relate to the broadcasting by RTÉ in the North of programmes for which it only has the rights in the Republic. Industry sources said that, with rights to hundreds of programmes from Eastenders to GAA, possibly up for negotiation, these negotiations could drag on for many months.

Sky subscribers in the Republic should be able to receive RTÉ from April 23rd on their satellite dishes. This will follow the completion of testing on a new satellite dish installed at RTÉ and the signing-off of a satellite licence between RTÉ and the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland."

• Advertisement

A very intersting story indeed. And a shame that our northern cousins won't get to see RTE immediately. Hopefully they'll sort the rights out quickly.

It makes you wonder how they didn't think of the rights issue in the first place. Are they just stupid ? Or did they think that no one would notice ??

One part of the article made me laugh out loud. It's when the RTÉ director general Bob Collins said "I can make no prediction re digital television"

What ???!!?

I mean, if he can't make any kind of prediction about digital television, who the hell can ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Comparing RTE to ITV - both face rights issues in broadcasting to other states, but at least RTE are taking positive action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I don't like the sound of that ANGICOA - something like that could be inifinitely complex. Surely the fastest approach is to agree terms between the parties - we won't object to UTV and C4, you don't object to RTE and TV3. "Lets all compete and grow, there is a combined market of up to six million viewers at stake".

Perhaps an arrangement such as that which exists between the cable companies, RTE and the UK channels - 'look, we know that there could be a case for us to sue you for reselling our TV services, and it isn't really legit, but lets agree to some terms and we agree not to exercise our right to legal objection'

Now is also a good time to ask - how come BBC broadcast Eastenders here and others like 24,The Weakest link, International rugby union and even GAA without ever having to resort to ANGICOA for resolve of rights issues?

If there is genuine will, there is always a simpler way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Like I said earlier, there are more issues at stake than
    just the programming rights of RTE, UTV and Channel 4.
    Granada are protecting their investment in TV3.
    CanWest are protecting their investment in UTV and TV3.
    Channel 4 want to make as much profit out of the whole mess as humanly possible.
    BBC also want to make as much profit out of the whole mess as humanly possible.
    I would reckon that the companies who raised the issue with AGICOA were Granada Holdings and Channel 4 UK.
    They have the least to gain and the most to lose by RTE broadcasting in Northern Ireland.
    UTV are the big losers in this fiasco. They have been basing their successful financial model on spillover ROI Advertising revenue
    for many years, and technology advances have suddenly put a spanner in their works.
    UTV is the second most popular station on the Island of Ireland, with many more viewers in the Republic than the North.
    I am sorry to say that the rights issues not going to be sorted out with a few meetings in Manchester or Geneva.
    It is the end of the (tv) world as we know it.

Thats it in a nutshell Genghis,
    funny thing is RTE penetration on analog in NI is widespread,reception may not be great in places,but it is there and in percentage terms covering much more of the North than UTV in the South.

These technical broadcast issues seasoned with a blend of the finest(rotten smelling) herbs-Greed and Jealousy:mad:
    mm

And all this trouble for a population of just One Million people in another country........Northern Ireland.
    Is it really worth it for RTE channels to have to pay extra for programme rights etc.
    The only ratings I see for television are the ones that RTE and TV3 publish themselves on their Text services.
    How does anyone see the "True" ratings. By that I mean the ratings for all irish stations, Northern Irish ones, and the zillions of stations on cable/satellite.

If it is the truth- and remember, not all things printed are. or as my mother said when we were kids "Be careful, God's watching"- the news about RTE not launching on SkyD in the North is very disappointing. If not April 23, then, when is it likely to be? Or will the "guessers" who give us this "confirmed information" fly away in the face of that question?

just watched te 5.30 tv3 new s and te report about tv3 joining sky on april 23rd.All systems are go.There was an interview with mark deering who said they were delighted to have the irish channels on board.They now have nearly a quarter of a million subscribers.Tv3 said in the report that they were irelands second most popular station.Would this be accurate?I have to say
    i like tv3 very much.

they also said theyy have 92% coverage in ireland which will now become 100% after joining sky.

digitalman

Sorry to be boring and "political" about this, but when I say "Ireland" I usually mean the country officially known as the Republic of Ireland. Sorry for the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rocket

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm annoyed at the amount of requests and queries the different boards and websites are receiving reference RTE, TV3 ang TG4 availability in N. Ireland and the UK, isint it about time someone tells them if they want the Irish channels, then we down here want the British channels.

Robbing us of UTV was bad enough but if the british receive RTE i'm convinced there will be a large number of people here who will be cheesed off, to say the least.

IF THEY WANT RTE GIVE US BACK UTV AT LEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement