Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Green, Genius, or Just Plain Annoying?

• 22-03-2002 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

would you rather stab him in the eye with a rusty compass,
    or shake his hand for his genius??

Genius or Madman? 22 votes

Comedic genius
    0% 0 votes
    Total head-wrecker
    100% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I saw his last film, "Freddie got fingered" and it was unspeakably bad. Okay he has his moments but 90% of that film should never have left the cutting room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

His monica lewinsky stunt was good, and some other stuff is brilliant, but a lot of the time he is up his own arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

he's a dork with a mediocre amount of talent... certainly not a genius.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Burtally bad, and completely unfunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

comic genius

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Tom Greene is to Jackass what Rum is to Trigger Happy TV.
    (ie a dumbed down, completely stupid and unfunny version)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Celt

Despite the fact that Tom had been going long before jackass?

I think he's hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Freddy got fingered was incredibly stupid but incredibly funny, and his show was pretty good, but i wouldnt call him a genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

He's an annoying genius!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

genius, get a sense of humour liek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Tom Green is very funny. there is loads of things he has done that i will never forget. i still laugh thinking about him throwing piggy down the hill :p . i thought he was great in Road Trip too.

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Despite the fact that Tom had been going long before jackass?
    Ah, what does that have to do with it?-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I'd have to say Atari Jaguar.
    I liked Freddy got Fingered, but the show annoys the hell out of me.

Ah, what does that have to do with it?-)

Well, thing this is: "a dumbed down, completely stupid and unfunny version" tends to insinuate 'Rip-off!"

Actualy, the word 'Version' does it alone.
    Tom Green was doing it way before Jackass.

I was watching Jackass today, and saw the "Shark-hugging" skit, and all I could think was "Tom Green Rip-Off!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea, damn right. Jackass was just the next step after what Tom Green started.

I lub him to bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭IRISHLILY24

I think he has had a few good moments, but all together I think he is not funny and is a jackass. But that's just my opinion. :)

Well, thing this is: "a dumbed down, completely stupid and unfunny version" tends to insinuate 'Rip-off!"
    Yes well it's quite obvious I didnt intend it as such, wouldnt you say?
    Actualy, the word 'Version' does it alone.
    How? there both variations on the same theme.
    Here's an example, DivX version of a movie and Mpeg version, how does that insinuate one is a copied from the other?
    Does it not just mean that as I said above, they both have a similar theme?
    Tom Green was doing it way before Jackass.
    No **** sherlock....
    I was watching Jackass today, and saw the "Shark-hugging" skit, and all I could think was "Tom Green Rip-Off!" [/B]
    So....., that has what to do with the topic or even my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

When he's funny hes really good, but he only hits the entertainingly funny target 10% of the time. The crippled guy falling over non-stop is great tv, and I have to agree that jackass ripped some of his stuff off.

Tom wants to be the new Andy Kaufmann, but he never will be.

Yes well it's quite obvious I didnt intend it as such, wouldnt you say?

Well if I made the mistake in the first place, I'd say no, it wasn't that obvious.

Here's an example, DivX version of a movie and Mpeg version, how does that insinuate one is a copied from the other?

We're not saying two different versions of one thing.
    DivX and Mpeg are both a version of something.
    When you say "a dumbed down, completely stupid and unfunny version." It's completely different to saying "Two versions of one thing."

When considering a film, there might be an edited version, which would obviously be different to the un-edited.

So....., that has what to do with the topic or even my post?

Well, seeing as you yoursel say Jackass is better, it's great to know where the show rips off it's ideas from. How can you NOT consider that to be relevant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Well it depends...did you convert the DivX from the Mpeg or the Mpeg from the DivX? cause it's the same movie and I think yo ulost yer poitn somewhere back there when the arse fell outta your argument ;P

• Advertisement

We're not saying two different versions of one thing.
    DivX and Mpeg are both a version of something.
    When you say "a dumbed down, completely stupid and unfunny version." It's completely different to saying "Two versions of one thing."
    I said two different variations of basically the same theme, and they are, otherwse how could one rip off the other?

Well, seeing as you yoursel say Jackass is better, it's great to know where the show rips off it's ideas from. How can you NOT consider that to be relevant?
    I still dont see how this hass relevance to either
    a)I find jackass funnier, where it gets it material, why should I care?
    b)Is Tom Green funny or a twat.

I said two different variations of basically the same theme, and they are, otherwse how could one rip off the other?

*Sigh*
    You say that Tom Green was a VERSION OF Jackass.

NOT that Tom Green was and Jackass are BOTH a version of SOMETHING ELSE.

You're point about DivX/Mpeg is irrelivant.
    I still dont see how this hass relevance to either
    a)I find jackass funnier, where it gets it material, why should I care?
    b)Is Tom Green funny or a twat.

Seeing as you say that you find Jackass funnier in a thread about Tom Green, it is completely relevant to point out that Jackass is ripping off Tom.

*Sigh*
    You say that Tom Green was a VERSION OF Jackass.
    Yes please dont read my post and just draw conclusions from what you want to believe. You know there's a little something we can do in the english language called comparing? Your free to suggest what word you think I should have used.
    So if I had of said;
    Jackass is to Tom Green what Trigger Happy TV is to Rum.
    (ie a more intelligent, and funny version)
    It would all be magically alright?
    Get a clue please, when comparing you use words like version ffs.
    I could quite easily list a 100 examples....
    Also the English language is very ambiguous and as I said above dont just read what you want to see, read what it is written.
    NOT that Tom Green was and Jackass are BOTH a version of SOMETHING ELSE
    And where did I say that? Saying there variations of the same theme doesnt mean that, at least not in english...

Seeing as you say that you find Jackass funnier in a thread about Tom Green, it is completely relevant to point out that Jackass is ripping off Tom.
    No it isnt, if I like something, I really dont give a **** what's it's based on/ripping off/inspired by, I like the program and that's it.

Yes please dont read my post and just draw conclusions from what you want to believe. You know there's a little something we can do in the english language called comparing? Your free to suggest what word you think I should have used.
    So if I had of said;
    Jackass is to Tom Green what Trigger Happy TV is to Rum.
    (ie a more intelligent, and funny version)
    It would all be magically alright?
    Get a clue please, when comparing you use words like version ffs.
    I could quite easily list a 100 examples....
    Also the English language is very ambiguous and as I said above dont just read what you want to see, read what it is written.

Christ... You don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

I know already what you MEANT.
    What I'm saying is that I thought you meant SOMETHING ELSE.
    And explaining HOW I took it like that.
    Do you get it!?

God, what is this crap about "What I want to beleive"?
    And where did I say that? Saying there variations of the same theme doesnt mean that, at least not in english...

No, I'm talking about your comparison of DivX and Mpeg.
    Whereas they're each a version of one movie, tom green and jackass are not two versions of one thing.

I'm saying that your comparison is ****E!
    No it isnt, if I like something, I really dont give a **** what's it's based on/ripping off/inspired by, I like the program and that's it.

I don't give two ****s if you care or not, it's relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i used to think he was really funny but now i think hes really stupid. The way he does all that crap to his parents and stuff. He just a fool. Jackass on the other hand is a classic show, its pure funny!!
    4102.jpg

Originally posted by suppafly
    i used to think he was really funny but now i think hes really stupid. The way he does all that crap to his parents and stuff. He just a fool. Jackass on the other hand is a classic show, its pure funny!!

What the **** is the difference?
    On Jackass, this guy repeatedly beats his dad while he's in bed?
    I've seen about 10 of those. Not to mention all the other things he does to him.

Everyone's going around praising Jackass, but it was Tom Green who done it all first.
    It's like some trend.
    "OH! YEAH! TOM GREEN!!!"
    Now it's:
    "OH! YEAH! JACKASS!!!"

FS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

At least Tom turned up and accepted his Golden Raspberry for freddie Got Fingered being so dire. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Tom Green just an idiot a complete fool thats all I have to say>:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Funny at first. But his style/humour got really old... really fast. Only appeals to 12-year-old boys now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

He's extremely annoying but the statue of his parents shagging on their front lawn was halarious. You kinda have to feel sorry for his parents though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

What the **** is the difference?
    On Jackass, this guy repeatedly beats his dad while he's in bed?
    I've seen about 10 of those. Not to mention all the other things he does to him.

Thats not that bad and his dad knows its just a joke. Tom Green always takes it too, like with the statue and then the interviews where he asks his parents about there sex life and all of types of crap. Tom Green just takes most of his just too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 snoop_dogg

bro, trigger happy tv is to comedy, what aids is to people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I watched 2 hours of tom green on mtv last night, and i nearly died laughing. The part where he trys to make glenn sick is great.
    And drinking the milk from the cow..........ughhhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lara

I'd go with just plain annoying.... the moose thing??? What was that all about?
    Never been a big Tom Greene fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Roughty

Some times he is funny like when he does sketches with Glen. But when he goes into peoples workplaces and causes trouble he gets annoying. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

I have to say it celt, but i agree totally with Angelwhore, i got the exact same impression he did when i read it. Your posts are mostly bs ramble after that.

I like tom green, hes damn funny tbh, same with jackass, they both make me pish myself tbh :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Tom Green is to comedy what McDonalds Hot Dogs are to food - he's cheap, nasty, leaves a bad taste in your mouth and is ultimately nothing like the real thing.

It's vaguely saddening that his show is now popular in Europe, having seen it on stateside TV I'd kinda hoped he'd stay there and we'd be clever enough on this side of the Atlantic to ignore him. Oh well. I guess some folk have a bit more thick-American gene in them than we'd all like to think.

Originally posted by suppafly
    Thats not that bad and his dad knows its just a joke. Tom Green always takes it too, like with the statue and then the interviews where he asks his parents about there sex life and all of types of crap. Tom Green just takes most of his just too far.

That's the whole point!
    It's meant to make you go "Man! That's just going WAY overboard!"

It's funny when Tom says to his Dad: "You come home from work, tired and hungry, and all you want is dinner. But dinner wasn't always ready, was it dad? You'd come home and ask 'Where's dinner?' wouldn't you?" - "Yeah, I guess, I'd say where dinner?" - "Ok, so you come home and say 'WHERE'S MY DINNER BITCH!' Wouldn't you?"

It's funny as hell!

And it's pretty much the same idea in Jackass: Going too far.
    I mean, you wouldn't ask you parents those questions.
    And neither would you take a baseball bat, and club your dad's arse with it!

Just don't be under any illusion that those parents don't go home with a big fat pay-check.

I mean, do you honestly think a grocery store would let someone ride a cow into the store unhindered? Not even a security warning? Even when the cow is eating all the cabbages and things?

...Didn't think so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pencapchew

Tom Green is brilliant and very funny. His sense of humour is right up my street and I love his show.
    :)

Advertisement