Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info about d.i.y. rack mount servers?

• 22-03-2002 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

'lo all,
    I need to create a large server system, with 30-50 servers.
    I'd like it to be a rack system to save space, but rack sytems are very expensive so I'm looking into buying all the parts and
    assembling everything myself.
    any of ye have any info on this - I've found some stuff on google
    but any first hand info ye have would be great. Everything from suppliers to info on how to actually assemble the parts.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

search www.anandtech.com , every time they upgrade their servers they write some extremely interesting articles about how they did it, including assembling rackmounted machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

6021I BBONE RM-2U SERVER 6-OPEN HD BAYSVIAAP266 DUAL P3 ATA RAID

Rack Mountable

max system memory 4 GB

VIA Apollo Pro 266T

Height: 88 mm
    Width: 425 mm
    Depth: 652 mm
    Weight: 52 lbs

464472_125.jpg

this the type of think your after? and you want about 30-50 of them?

try www.rackmount.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

thanks Gerry.

Boston, Yup, that's the sort of thing I want. Ideally I want 1U ones though.
    This is a nice looking one:
    http://www.gtweb.net/gt420.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

http://www.rackmount.com/RackSvr/ColocationServer1120B-EIDE.htm

i really dont think you would be able to actually make one that much cheaper, like ive never seen anywere that actually just sold the cases and if your building 30-50 of them thats alot of man hours

Advertisement