Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My NTL Cable Modem experience

Options
  • 22-03-2002 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi folks...

I've been trying to post here a while now since I got the NTL Cable Modem on March 5th. It's been an education working out the problems that come with the yoke we all figured would make everything so much easier....

Firstly, I have to say that performance-wise, it's excellent. Not, as a certain speed-measuring site tells me, as fast as MOST high speed services world wide (it runs at about one-quarter speed by comparison), but fine and dandy for what I call "surfing for the slack jawed".

Trouble arises when one tries to do OTHER things. Like, for example, posting on a board like this one. More about that later.

I run a couple of Websites, and it was to alleviate my burgeoning Eircom phone bill that I signed up for the Modem. I'm in Tymon North, in Tallaght, and the service is, as we all know, being secretively expanded around here again.

Once online, I tried to upload files to a certain Webspace provider using their internal upload tool. It failed.

Also, to cut a long story short, posting on this type of bulletin board fails too. The reason is that the NTL folk use what's known as a "transparent proxy server" and these servers, both here and in the UK, have a fault. The Help people don't know about this, or I'll assume they don't, and they simply say it's the fault of the Website one is visiting.

Anyway, I now use an FTP program to fire the files up to the Website while updating and it works after a fashion. One must remember to use the Ctrl button, held down, and the Refresh key to force the poxy proxy cache to spit out the new page. Take it from one who's been there, it's no good using the ordinary Refresh button, you just get baffling old versions of the pages. NTL told me none of this, I had to trawl the Web for info on it.

How am I posting here? Well, I have to manually reset my Internet Connection to use a DIFFERENT proxy server, just so the board will accept my post. The automaticaly chosen proxy is faulty.

So, all you folk who, like me, looked forward to the advent of the Cable Modem service, please be advised that it isn't just "plug it in and do everything". I'm experiencing daily problems and have to rely on the patience of other Internet users to rescue me from the foibles of the NTL service. It's all ahead of youse!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I'm sorry but I just cant feel sorry for you ... your paying a super low price for always on fast internet, ok maybe having a few probs here or there, but i'd still love to be in your situation than stuck on 200 euro bills and slow connections :(

With your problems, I'd say that the problem lies at your end, try netscape if your using ie ? THere's a few ntl cable users on this forum, but i've never heard them complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 WillieW

Yes I must sound like a whinger, but I've just spent the best part of a week hanging on telephone lines listening to canned music without receiving any actual help. (I should know better than to expect it on "Help" lines, I suppose). Coupled with that frustration was the disappointment that my much looked-forward to modem wasn't operating as well as I expected and the gloomy prospect of having to return to Dial-up if things didn't improve.

The fact that I *have*, as you say, an always-on connection *is* wonderful and the cloud of the huge telephone bills has been lifted -- it's really terrific to know that.

For an excellent site which discusses MANY of the things which cause irritation or lack of service to users of cable modems, take a look at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips.html

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by ando
    I
    With your problems, I'd say that the problem lies at your end, try netscape if your using ie ? THere's a few ntl cable users on this forum, but i've never heard them complain

No, he is correct, MiCr0, PHB and myself (probberly some others) have had problems posting to boards.ie within Linux/W2k, but you can post fine under W9x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

If I remember correctly, when Ntl were upgrading my area they were handing out leaflets to every house explaining exactly what you needed for the ntl cable modem system, and I specifically remember that windows 2000 was not supported, but 98/95/Nt was. NOw that was around a year ago, and could of changed by now for all I know :p !

What Operating system are you using willie? maybe that could be it? I'l be very supprised if Ntl are still not supporting windows 2000/XP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I realise that this has some bearing on IrelandOffline, but I feel it would be more at home in Nets/Comms. Moving.

Good, informative post though, thanks WillieW.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i've had it since december and i've had no problems
    i've got Win XP connected via usb to the cable modem
    then that machine is connected to a hub to a w2k/linux machine.

no problems setting up internet sharing/firewalling
    i've never had performance problems or any thing like it.

over all -- delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ando
    ... I specifically remember that windows 2000 was not supported, but 98/95/Nt was. NOw that was around a year ago, and could of changed by now for all I know :p !

What Operating system are you using willie? maybe that could be it? I'l be very supprised if Ntl are still not supporting windows 2000/XP

IOL said summat to my brother about not supporting win2000 just before last Christmas ("oh, you're using windows two-thousssssand? Oh, we don't support that" (interpret, erm, what you will from that). Which was odd really since he'd heard that before from them... but that was in October 1999. Some things just never do change.

I'm using Win 98 and Internet Explorer 6... Someone tells me having IE6 running with anything other than XP is a waste of time, but of course the Microsoft people list Win 9* as compatable.

The link I posted earlier explains many of the issues about which I was (and in many cases continue to be) ignorant concerning cable modem operation as it applies to the NTL network in particular. As to whether or not I'm "right" in what I say, I have no axe to grind with anyone: I'm just sharing my personal experience so that perhaps other people may be better informed. I sure as heck didn't imagine the last week of difficulties!!

I recommend that anyone wishing to get the cable modem should do a good search for resources dedicated to the subject and that he/she get educated in what to expect. That's what I plan to continue to do.

Thanks for your replies and insights.

[Once again having to connect to a proxy server before being allowed to post... *sigh*]

last weekened there seem to be some "issues" regarding some ppl using ntl and boards
    i've found that specifiny inktomi1-dub.server.ntl.com:8080 as a proxy server works perfectly

//david/MiCr0

Tesing on that proxy (which, I think is the proxy used anyway by NTL, according to some test thingy on the Net that poked around in the guts of my machine).... Will it post, or will it not...?

• Advertisement

Whoo-hoo...!

:)
    hth
    MiCr0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

test

Hey MiCr0...

I can now upload files to my Webspace servers.... But my FTP programs don't work any more.

I shall soldier on....

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

test

When I first got cable (back in october 2000 or so) it was perfect, the transparent proxy thing only came in a few weeks ago.

Postable and working FTP here.

Solution for FTP

Thanks mirv...

Those are exactly my settings too. Now, to be truthful I've not tested FTP today, so perhaps it is working.

One observation... I teach Adult learners how to switch on a computer and how to use the common applications. It's been necessary down the years for me to learn stuff like the subject we're discussing now just so the machine will work. Students, especially, have NO idea about the problems that can arise when a connection doesn't work or a new device isn't configured properly. The home user expects to buy a product which works 100%, first time every time.

Because I've been about a little bit, I know that's a lie. Nothing to do with computers is reliable, as fast as advertised, as useful as it says on the box. So why don't the folks like NTL train their Help staff properly for when something like a proxy server has to be setup? Protecting market share? Fear of bad publicity?

Personally I'd prefer to know that a home computer user can pick up the telephone and get USEFUL help (at whatever premium rate per minute). I imagine that the GOOD publicity of having the BEST help line would only increase market share.

Once again, I'm thankful to everyone who has offered advice and suggestions to me. I'm more comfortable (though still dissatisfied) with the use of the modem today than I was last week. I bought a car three years ago and it goes like a dream... with the exception that the passenger-side window rattles. I guess I'll just have to put up with the "rattle" in the modem the way I do with the one in the car.

The amount of training required for such a task, as simply 'making cable work' is horrendously large as the permuations tend towards infinity with the different set-ups people have on their computers.

For instance,

If I flick an option on my bios which looks pretty safe, my network card stops functioning.

I doubt that an ntl technical support lacky would suggest 'oh turn off PCI 2.1 delayed transaction' to fix a non-working cable modem setup.

Add this too into the exceptions box in the proxy settings.

192.168.* - so you can access your cable modem configuration site, well thats what my one is anyhow.

i don't think the terajet cable modem's have a config interface
    or if they do i've never found it :(

• Advertisement

I'm reminded of that comedy character on TV...

"Today I am mostly being frustrated by my connection."

Please be patient if you've heard all of the following before now, but I'd be appreciative of your thoughts and feedback:

In the ongoing quest to make this machine work with its cable connection I find after installation of a program called Ad-aware from http://tomcoyote.com/lsindex.html that my Registry is infested with Spyware, which may be affecting my connectivity. Specifically I removed WebHancer, Cydoor and Gator, three beauties that record surfing habits and report them back in the name of "logging connection speeds". That's a fancy way of admitting they're just looking up the leg of your drawers.

WebHancer is a particularly well-rooted weed. If removed improperly its breaks your Internet connection permanently. Sour grapes or what? Ad-aware seems (and other opinions were sought before I believed it myself) to take it out safely.

My main query for you good folk today is "Why is my FTP program gone bust?" Basically it doesn't connect. And my old bugbear, the Eircomnet upload seems to get only a partial GIF at the other end when I use its internal uploader. Where is the other three quarters of my file gone? I'm still using the programs and settings I was using yesterday and the problem was a recurrent one in the days following my first installation of the modem. Pages of text and JPGs upload without effort today.

To barter for your knowledge, I present another couple of links I tripped over in the undergrowth. These have to do with spyware -- a useful subject to acquaint oneself with if, like me, you are incautious about file downloads... *LOL*

http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm leads to a frank and revealing site about who is mooching about on your computer while you aren't looking.

http://www.spychecker.com/ leads to a directory of freeware where you can ask in advance whether that program you're about to download is a potential problem. I'll be using it in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hey,

Been having those same problems too.

If this posts then i've fixed them thanks to your help.

We really need a community forum for NTL Cable stuff.

*looks at admins*

- Kevin

Did you install ad-aware after you saw my ad-aware icon on the desktop or before? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

format and reinstall

Sorry, I failed "Hint" in my Leaving Cert. "Format and Reinstall" what?

Ad-aware I tripped over on an Internet Search. Tis a cool program.

Are there still users with outstanding NTL posting issues???
    if so add
    inktomi1-dub.server.ntl.com:8080 as a proxy server

should sort that out

gl
    MiCr0

As I mentioned earlier, I'm already on that proxy server, and problems persist! I'm poking about the Internet today to see what I can turn up on the subject and will post here later if I discover a cure for my particular probs.

any one having "issues" ftping at the moment from NTL?
    i can't connect in/out via ftp

Ditto. Since yesterday morning occasional sockets reached but no log-in procedure permitted, connection lost every time.

• Advertisement

I can still login into my FTP accounts fine, I don't know where your problem is coming from.

Advertisement