Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My NTL Cable Modem experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

i am still having problems posting on boards, and hotmail, and yahoo, using NTL's 56k dial up. using IE6 and Opera6, any ideas???

how do i add that proxy, and is that the same one for 56k???

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 WillieW

We ain't makin' it up...

This is what I get in SmartFTP v1.0 Build 966:

Connected to Proxy (inktomi1-dub.server.ntl.com) -> IP: 62.254.96.4 PORT: 8080.
    Socket connected waiting for login sequence.

Than, after a wait of maybe half a minute:

Connection closed.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by Lucifer
    i am still having problems posting on boards, and hotmail, and yahoo, using NTL's 56k dial up. using IE6 and Opera6, any ideas???

how do i add that proxy, and is that the same one for 56k???

thanks

its in tools - internet options - connections - web proxy
    fill it in there

WRITE DOWN YOUR CURRENT SETTINGS AS YOU FIND THEM, IN CASE YOU NEED TO SWITCH BACK TO THEM LATER! Then...

To add a proxy in Windows 98 click on Start + Settings + Control Panel + Internet Options...

Then click on Connections. Click on LAN Settings...

UNcheck the "Automatically Detect Settings" box and CHECK "Use a proxy server for your LAN"

Click on Advanced... and type the name of the proxy server in the "HTTP" field. The one advised by reading on the Web and by other users of this Forum is inktomi1-dub.server.ntl.com on Port 8080

Okay all the OKs and out you come.

Personally, I've found all manner of errors coming up now using the service. For example, I can't sign up for a Guestbook with Guestbook Depot, not that that's too important this minute (got another one some place else). Maybe we could have a section that lists "all the things I can't get into using my NTL Cable Modem". It might be a long thread.

did u try to contact their tech support dept?

• Advertisement

Whether the above is suitable for 56K Dial-up... The answer is "I don't know."

thanks for the help micro, will i have to set that up in opera aswell, and when i go into preferences in opera, and into proxy servers, it has HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, Gopher, and WAIS, do i put it into all, or what??? thanks again

gopher and wais are never used
    http/s/ftp
    try with them in - if they work - well and good
    if not - remove them from each and see how it goes

//david

test

everything seems to be working better now, especially boards:)

thanks micro

i am teh win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I requested that a Forum for this kind of stuff be set up.

If people think it's a good idea then go and say so. (:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46217

- Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Difficult

I'd love to know what's causing all your problems, I live 5 minutes from willie w and no one i know around is having any problems, and the only problem iv'e had was posting to *this* board and was resolved after applying a static http proxy everything else works fine, ntl have there own news groups for techsupport for broadband users it might be worth your while posting your questions there and see can you get some more ideas

overall i'm delighted with the service,
    I had to ring there tech support once it was at 3am one morning and luckliy enough i was transfered to wales tech support where the guy was not only willing to answer some win 2k questions also answered some FreeBSD questions. i think it's just the the tech support on the irish side that are a bit slow :)

What's the URL of the NTL broadband newsgroup you mentioned? It would be good to go take a look there and see if similar snags have been reported by other users.

Personally, I'd also love to know what the problems are on this service and/or on this computer, if that is the cause of the difficulties.

Do you maintain a Website of any kind? If so, have you experienced any difficulty in uploading pages?

I've rung their tech support, and have been transferred to the UK where I received only incredulity about my particular problems. No mention of "proxy" anything was made, and I had to find out those albeit imperfect solutions by searching the Internet.

just put in NTL in your newsreader and it will list all the ntl news groups

i usually watch ntl.discussion.boradband.cm

no problems uploading, as i said the only problem i had was with this board....all other boards worked fine.

My guess there's something wrong on your side and not ntl

I'm not disagreeing with you, just asking:

If there was nothing wrong with NTL at your end, why did you have to make a manual adjustment to your LAN Settings in order to post on this type of board?

To my mind, that implies that the installation wasn't completed properly in the first place by the engineer, or that there's some setting in the NTL server that's not compatable with this type of board. If my guess is right, why isn't it compatable??? It's not as if this type of board is a new invention.

Also, if you have any insights into areas of my computer I should check for malfunction they'd be appreciated.

On the subject of the Newsgroup, I've never set up a News account before. I know the procedure in Outlook Express. Could you perhaps tell me the News server settings you use for your account so I can emulate your configuration?

why the transparent proxy wasn't working with this board iv'e no idea as it was working with any other board.

512k connection for 25 euro a month am not complain :)

news.cable.ntlworld.com is the server i use.

the quickest way to solve your problem would be if u have another pc or another disk with an os on it.

if your having the same problem it's more than likley an ntl problem but as iv'e said i don't think it is.

maybe it's time for a format reinstall :)

Thanks for the info. If I get time this week, I'll try switching the modem over to another computer and see what happens.

Unfortunately, the machine it's currently on is about three years younger than the optional one, which trundles along at a sedate pace at the best of times. I'm not sure if it'd be up to specs to accept the new dealy.

I'd just like to point out (as it seems to be forgotten from time to time in the thread) that I'm not alone in these problems. Other users complain of similar difficulties.

Could I ask, if a reader is experiencing probs with the modem, could you post them here, however trivial, and, of course, if you find a solution to an individual difficulty, please let us know how it was overcome? Thankee.... :)

pop me on a mail,
    if u want i'll drop over to you and see what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Hey thanks for this thread.

I didn't even know I had a problem but over the last few weeks I remembered quite alot of "server hangups" and when I read the thread I realised why! The proxy setting did the trick for me.

Thanks again :)

atgate

Thanks for the invitation, Difficult. I'll email you with my contact telephone number and maybe we can find out what is causing my particular puter probs.

If we do, I'll post the solutions on the board.

(Feck! Now I'm gonna have to make a list of everything that has a bug... Work!!!)

• Advertisement

testing mozilla 9.9 on redhat 7.2

red hat....and it worked ?
    red hat works ? how weird is that :P

watch it you!
    or else! ;)

Just to update the subject, I met Difficult and his bodyguard yesterday evening and I hope he will appear smilingly on my doorstep this coming Sunday to fix the problems I'm imagining on my machine(s). I will definitely post the results here.

Heh Heh Heh... No pressure, man....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Why do you need a proxy server for http?
    Have they closed port 80 on you? Do you have to use a socks proxy to play games, etc?
    Maybe your cable modem is configured to block most ports?

The ADSL they give out in spain usually comes with most ports blocked, so that you have to configure the ADSL router yourself and unblock all the ports.

I'm just saying that you should be able to do everything without a proxy.

the problem is with how the ntl service runs.
    all these problems started when the invisable proxy started acting oddly.
    they the only way to use POSTDATA and other web functions was to use the proxy.

there are no ports blocked to the best of my knowledge - ftp might be - (/me goes to investigate)

MiCr0

What do you mean by invisible?
    That you use the proxy even without specifying it in the inetrnet options?

yep

Ah I see...
    That kind of sucks if they dont implement it properly :(

• Advertisement

they did - they just seem to have broken it :(

Advertisement