Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant seem to get .avi files to play

• 22-03-2002 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

ive dixv 5 installed.

i think the problem is a use dap to download them, what dap does is it downloads from several different sources at once and then combines the end product, im wondering if this has in some way curopted the files?

any suggestions are welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I had a similar problem with a divx I got from kazaa, it seemed to be completely corrupted. I think perhaps these programs don't do enough checking of the file, ie they are too trusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

hmm if that was true then why do so many people have them and keep them to share them. i mean if the files not working you delete it. i dont think its a problem with the orginal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

if it cant open a divx i usually drop it into somehting like VirtualDub and let it rebuild the index n stuff - save it and hey presto its viewale

that actually seems to be working, god you people are extremely helpfull, i cant thank you enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah virtualdub worked for me before. Boston, people could have the same film, same filename, but it might be a different rip, and kazaa goes ahead and combines them anyway. Thats just a theory though.

• Advertisement

well you might of mentioned virtualdub before you started with the wild conjecture. doesnt matter anyway, question is answered. and very all is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Boston, people could have the same film, same filename, but it might be a different rip, and kazaa goes ahead and combines them anyway

Kazaa actually had a bug for a bit where it wouldn't check filesizes or checksum when doing downloads - if the filename was the same, it was happy. That's been gone a long time now.

OpenNap still only uses filesize and filename, no checksum. Some of the anti-piracy folk have worked out that you can wreck an OpenNap network by putting a pile of files full of garbage up with common filenames and filesizes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Boston
    well you might of mentioned virtualdub before you started with the wild conjecture. doesnt matter anyway, question is answered. and very all is fine

Watch out you don't bend over, you might take someone's eye out with that stick rammed up your ass

Advertisement