Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ms Word (File Edit View .... All Gone....????)

• 22-03-2002 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

A friend of mine lost her Tool Bar in word, Fairly simple fix I thought well to my surprise I cant figure it out.
    Its not actually the toolbar but the commands on top "File, Edit, View, Insert" and so on... that have dissapeared. Firstly I checked all toolbars hoping one would get the commands back. Didn't work! Next I tried a repair msoffice with her cd's didn't work! Next I went to a different machine and copied the Normal.dot and replace the one she was having trouble with still didn't work! I then did a full install of Ms office and it still didn't work!!!
    Any Ideas ?

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I just tried to remove my menu bar and it won't allow it. Try right clicking one of the toolbars, choose customise, and see if you can get the menu bar back from that list.

Any idea how she managed to kill the menu toolbar?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

I just tried to remove my menu bar and it won't allow it. QUOTE]
    I tried too and no good
    Try right clicking one of the toolbars, choose customise, and see if you can get the menu bar back from that list.

I'm nearly sure I Tried them all
    Any idea how she managed to kill the menu toolbar?
    Yip she let a few friends who have no Idea near her pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Try the basics like ALT + F to bring up the File Menu..

if that doesnt work, and you've exhausted all other options like reinstalling word / replacing the template, I'd say you have three options.

1. Reinstall (or Overinstall) Windows + Office

2. Uninstall Office, Crawl through the registry and try to find any mentions of Microsoft Office or Microsoft Office Settings (ugh) and remove them, then reinstall (I dont recommend this)

3. Try running SFC, (System File Checker [Start -> Run -> sfc]). Let it search your hard drive for corrupted/altered dll's, Mabye something else has gotten messed up...

From the sounds of it, it sounds like one of the thingy's that windows apps call (API or something), isnt working properly, but then I could very well be talking smack. I do this on a regular occasion :rolleyes:

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Good luck with it ;)

Rent

Thanks I'll give the Alt + F a try,
    If that fails I think the ould you know what is a must ..... yip the big F word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Okay, you can replace the file, view etc on your menu bar... back into word.

Firstly goto: View > Toolbars > Customise

Scroll down the list of toolbars and make sure MenuBar is there and ticked. (This is the bar where file, edit, view etc live. Not usually able to disable it.)
    Anyway now go to Commands > Built in Menus (bottom of list).

In the right hand pane you will see the File, edit, view etc.. commands you wish to restore back to MenuBar. Highlight the one you want and drag it up onto the MenuBar itself. And Hey presto it should be back. Do this as often as you like for as many commands as you like.

I just removed all my commands and replaced them again.

• Advertisement

Nice one Clinical, (and everyone else)
    worked like a charm
    Thanks for that.

Advertisement