Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ico

Options
  • 22-03-2002 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Anyone else played this? It was released today (I think) for ps2. I just rented it and played it for a few hours there today.

I reckon its really bloody good, its a kinda platformer/puzzler type thing. It looks superb.. you could give me this over MGS 2 anyday. And theres a 60Hz option for you whingers and there isnt a border in sight. It's damn cool :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

I saw a review of this, the one where you have to lead around this princess? Looked kinda strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Yeah it's a little strange at first, but it plays really well. The princess is quite smart so dragging her around isnt as annoying as it sounds. Screenshots wouldn't do this game any justice, rent it and see for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Well I've seen a video, and it looked kinda..empty to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's downright superb. I picked up a copy of this from the USA just before Christmas at the same time as MGS2, and I can tell you right now that of the two of them, the game that gave me most enjoyment by a hell of a long shot was the one that DIDN'T have Solid Snake in it....

It's a bit short - about the same length as MGS2 I guess, but without all the cutscenes so there's more actual gameplay - but every single second of the game is absolutely captivating. The fundamental platform/puzzle type play is very logical and entertaining, but what really makes the game is the atmosphere. There's rarely any music, just incidental noise, and it adds to the sensation of total isolation and desolation around you as you move through this giant, crumbling castle where you, the never-speaking Princess and the seagulls are the only visible residents; I guess "haunting" is the best way to describe the atmosphere.

The characters are fantastic as well - even though they rarely speak and there are hardly any cutscenes, it's hard not to identify with Ico and Yorda. Ico's animation - none of it motion captured, unbelievably - is just perfect; he captures the awkwardness of a young boy, with jerky, un-coordinated movements as he scrambles over ledges and hurls himself across vast gaps in cliffs. Yorda is the direct opposite; she's subtle and graceful. I think she's rendered with a different technique, too... Light seems to fall on her differently to the way it falls on Ico or her surroundings, making her seem all the more ghostly.

Beautiful game. If you own a PS2 and believe videogames CAN be art, or just really love games, you have to own this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Da_Kid

Finally, something original. Makes a nice change from game after game of hyped sequels...I'll be getting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Got this game over the weekend. I'm stuck outside in this small area with a big chasm all around, a windmill and a small pond. I've climbed up the windmill and attempted to jump on to the sails to make my way up to the top but to no avail. How do I get past this part ? It's wrecking me buzz.

This one is a tad awkward to explain. Jump on the sails and grab onto one of them. Then just 'shimmy' your way to the edge of the sail. As this sail will turn upwards you can stand on top of it in its upright position, then you can jump onto a new platform behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Rented it out for this weekend...to hell with sleep. ;)

Brilliance...absolute brilliance.

Make sure you have no plans when you start playing this, cause it just grabs hold of you and wont let go. The puzzles reminicent of the Zelda games. Lots of pushing boxes around, floor plates, lighthing torchs with sticks etc, they do have enough variety to make it interseting tho.

The combat is very simple, but very different. You have to fight off the shadow monsters, but still keep an eye on your princess...reminscent of Yoshi's story, when you lose Baby Mario :)

I wouldn't buy this (even if I had a PS2) This is definately one to rent out for a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Originally posted by Swifty
    This one is a tad awkward to explain. Jump on the sails and grab onto one of them. Then just 'shimmy' your way to the edge of the sail. As this sail will turn upwards you can stand on top of it in its upright position, then you can jump onto a new platform behind you.

Question is, where do I stand to jump on to the sails ?

Climb up the windmill as you said you already did. There is a platform to walk around on up there. Go around to the opposite side of where you climbed up and theres a perfect spot to make a jump for a sail.
    I wouldn't buy this (even if I had a PS2) This is definately one to rent out for a weekend.

Yeah kyro, It's awful short and you would finish it in a weekend. But that seems to be the trend for PS2 games like this lately.

• Advertisement

*shrug* Fair enough. Personally I like actually owning this stuff so I can go back to it again - I do agree that it's a short game, but it's an utterly amazing one, and if I'm prepared to spend £20 on a decent DVD, I don't see the problem with spending £35 on a superb game...

*cough* that's €60/65 over on this side of the pond mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

Fair enough. Personally I like actually owning this stuff so I can go back to it again - I do agree that it's a short game, but it's an utterly amazing one, and if I'm prepared to spend £20 on a decent DVD, I don't see the problem with spending £35 on a superb game...

Agreed,But I generally pay a bit more.:p

Rented it again and finished it there today - Pretty nice ending. I heard that you actually see what Yorda is saying the second time you play. Is this true? Bah I have to give back this rental copy tomorrow and that's gonna annoy me :)

I heard that you actually see what Yorda is saying the second time you play.

Yep. Other stuff changes the second time round too - her AI, for example, changes to make things a bit trickier.

Advertisement