Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partitioning

• 29-03-2001 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

i hav a 20gb hard drive and i want to partition it to put linux on as well as windows. i am not to sure how to do this however. also what ratio shud i split the drive in windows:linux?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

well you should use the partition that comes with the linux, its a bit nasty but you should be able to get round it,
    as for the ratio
    I think you should go about 8gb linux and 12 win
    depends what you will be using most and what type of software you would like to keep on your windows os

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

i can't use the built in partition for linux.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

well then try Paratition magic pro
    its really helpful and easy to use
    also has a nice newbie interface smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

partition magic.. resize your main windows partion to about 15gb.
    you are never gonna use 8gb in linux if you are a new user.
    anyway once theres 5gb of blank space go ahead and use the partition tool in linux.

just do what I said, then the linux install (if its redhat anyway) will sort out the niggly bits for ya.
    your gonna have to use the install partition tool anyway.. as linux generally requires 3 different partitions which aren't that simple to set-up otherwise.

• Advertisement

how do u access the partition tool? and where can i get partition magic (pro)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

can u not just use dos 2 partition it???

IF I KNEW HOW!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

boot into DOS, type fdisk, follow instructions. Pretty elementary.

Redesigned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

another thing ... is it really necessary to have such a large linux partition. The install itself is rather small in comparison to windows, and linux will read from a fat32 partition. You should ask yourself how much work you are going to do through linux and then allocate appropriately, as windows won't be able to read from your linux partition.

Redesigned

• Advertisement

"can u not just use dos 2 partition it???"

yes, but fdisk won't resize an existing (20Gb) partition and save data iirc.

"how do u access the partition tool?"

its one of the steps in the linux install program.

"and where can i get partition magic (pro)"

Any dodgy site going or I presume theres a free trial version available for download.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    "can u not just use dos 2 partition it???"

yes, but fdisk won't resize an existing (20Gb) partition and save data iirc.

"how do u access the partition tool?"

its one of the steps in the linux install program.

"and where can i get partition magic (pro)"

Any dodgy site going or I presume theres a free trial version available for download.
    </font>

and wot ratio wud u recommend

could have sworn I already said it above wink.gif
    you won't need more than 5gb usually (I mean how many window schemes and StarOffice upgrades can you download? smile.gif ), if (as it seems you are) your new to unix and are going to be using windows 90% of the time then don't go above 2.5Gb
    as a very general guide:
    usually twice your RAM for the swap partition (~250Mb).
    about 300-800 for /usr ..
    and everything thats left for /home /tmp /var or whatever other partitions you feel like creating.

if its redhat theres great help in the install program as you go and guides on how to choose sizes.

im getting mandrake. dus that hav the partition wizard or whatever that yolk is called

well if you have 128mb ram +
    you shouldn't need a swap partition, and as for partition magic, you can download a *free non working trial*
    it shows you all it can do but when you go to partition it, it doesn't allow you and requires you to purchese it

I could give you a warez link to it if I am allowed to post it here ..?
    if I am I will post

Can u email me the link?

your email isn't in your profile

neil_d@ireland.com

ok I've mailed yea a link to the full working version smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

TO INSTALL LINUX

Two ways (with most distributions)
    1. in dedicated PRIMARY partition (usual but possibility of destroying all your data if you don't know what your doing)

2. in Fat 16/32 Dos partition (on the same partition as Windows!) (unusual/slower but v. safe, some distributions don't have this option, SuSE does + some others)

You can use the software bundled with all Linux distributions to partition your disk but KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING or else you WILL loses all you Windoze data. Or you can use Partition Magic to do the job, it's fast and will warn against data loss (probable best tradeoff for newbie).

If you go route 1 then use XOSL to look after choosing which OP system to boot (I've tried LOTS of boot managers, THIS IS THE BEST for several reasons (support for all op systems/flexable(full GUI)/support for hardisks above 8 gigs/free/support primary partitions beyond 8 gig!)
    get it here http://www.xosl.org/

On the question of ratio Win/Linux, give Linux 'bout 3 gig's to Linux and the rest to Windoze (you can always change this later with Partition Magic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OJ:
    well if you have 128mb ram +
    you shouldn't need a swap partition, and as
    </font>

Please ignore the above. Make yourself a swap partition. Insane not to have one.
    quozl

well i did use one,
    but if you read when you're install linux, rh, mandrake
    it tells your you don't need one

BTW i have heard good reports from an OS called Solaris by Sun Microsystems. Does anyone have it or know if it is ne good?

err you can run windows with enough ram and without a swap as well, but would you want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Bomberman

I am sure if u gave oj a few pound he would do it all 4 u

[This message has been edited by Bomberman (edited 31-03-2001).]

what is a swap partition

I'll do it al for you for free if you wish smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Obviously, the first thing you should do is backup any essential stuff on your Windows partition. Then figure out Partition Magic/FIPS/whatever and decide how much space you want to allow linux to roam around in (and if you want to play games or do any sort of work, make a f3ckin swap partition).

AFAIK mandrake comes with some sort of easy instally thing which resizes your windows partition itself (a la YAST), so you mightn't have to worry about it too much.

yeha but that bad thing is,
    IT deciedes how much it wants to leave for win and linux

• Advertisement

Maybe i will just swing OJ a few quid and let him do it. this all sounds like double dutch to me.

Advertisement