Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tables or patterns?

Options
  • 23-03-2002 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

(TBH I didn't even know what a CTYI was until a few minutes ago).

Seeing as I got no answer here. Veniox suggested posting here.

So I was wondering if there is a name for that type of maths? If so what, also other people I've mentioned this to seem to think I'm stoopid :) however it's how I work out large sums (I have other rules but I'd have to think of a sum to get the rule).

So which is better (for kids to learn)? Memorise tables or and try to break the sum into parts that can be quickly worked out by patterns?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

I think it's a sign of intelligence to do sums by patterns - but I think that It's something a child has to see for themselves and would be very hard to teach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

i used to use patterns. but i don't know what it's called. i think it's more about how you think then a type of maths.

'pattern recognition' would be a broad description

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

That's exactly the kind of method I use for most of my maths. People find it freaky the way I can do huge accounting problems in my head, or some pretty complex equations. In the amount of time it might take them to get the answer from a calculator. Yay me!

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

i have to admit, i am pretty bad at maths compared to most ctyi-ers. i mean, i guess one has to be okay at it to get in, but..... im more of a language and humanities person. hmmmmm... though i did experiment with patterns a little. and its nice to figure out rules and tricks that you can use instead of memorizing things. but then you have to remember the tricks. oh well.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by imp
    That's exactly the kind of method I use for most of my maths. People find it freaky the way I can do huge accounting problems in my head, or some pretty complex equations. In the amount of time it might take them to get the answer from a calculator. Yay me!

I'm not as good as that - I just have a few patterns that i use reguarly, like

x * 11 = (x * 10) + x
    x * 9 = (x * 10) - x

and simple things like that

I've seen my sister using patterns since she was 7

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

i find it's easiest and less stressful on the brain to break up any sum into the most basic of components.
    if it can all be broken into 10's/100's etc and the rest as using tables preferably 10times and under, tho 11 and 12 can be handy <-- i was never a fan of 12times tables...

Hmmm... i think id suggest tables first and once ya got them off you start using patterns cause i don't think you could use patterns without the good oul tables.
    Hope i helped...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Every mathematical problem can get split up into much easier sections. Like with multiplications that go past say x(12), you can split it up into smaller things of the tables, which i for some scary reason know too well, even though i paid little attention most of the time :p

It makes it easier and allows much less use of paper. i'm sure this was said further up the post, but 'im lazy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yeah hobbes all these weird ctyi kids can like decrypt 128-bit RSA simply by sniffing it.. its true. i think.

Originally posted by Kali
    yeah hobbes all these weird ctyi kids can like decrypt 128-bit RSA simply by sniffing it.. its true. i think.

I don't see the code anymore :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by sisob

I don't see the code anymore :-)

do you remember that project we had to do on the RSA? Ye buggers did the usual act of getting me to organise it! :) I found the notes I had on it and the split up of the work and evrything the other day :)

*grin* what code?

<< Fio >>

Originally posted by smiles

do you remember that project we had to do on the RSA? Ye buggers did the usual act of getting me to organise it! :) I found the notes I had on it and the split up of the work and evrything the other day :)
    not really - it's all a blur - but letting more responsible people do the work sounds familiar :-)

*grin* what code?

<< Fio >>

matrix....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

I was never a great fan of learning things by rote so id have to say pattern recognition is a better way of teaching kids. ive kinda always used that myself and its always worked for me.......<cough/a2 in higher maths in the mocks>!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i think patterns would be quite hard to teach children-they seem like the thing people figure out for themselves.
    maybe i should ask my teacher-parents,but that would mean talking to them,so i might not....

the easiest thing is to teach a combination of the two, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Originally posted by qwidgybo
    i think patterns would be quite hard to teach children-they seem like the thing people figure out for themselves.

I agree.

"Anything worth knowing can never be taught" - Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

i see thngs in patterns sometimes, it depends on how awake i am, but sometimes i look at a series of numbers and see how they all ad and divide and ****, maybe its not paterns, but its why i used to like the numbers 72 and 64

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

and i'd just like to point out there is no rsa,
    where won't you look if they tell you its not there?

through some experimentation on my siblings i've found out that it is beneficial to show kids that patterns exist but in general they have to work out the actual patterns for themselves

<cough> mark experiments on young children </cough>

sorry :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I am often left in charge of my nephew. THE FOOLS!

<pokes with a stick... "he's alive! now dance boy! DANCE!">

Advertisement