Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Database for the noob

Options
  • 23-03-2002 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

hello

after far too long in the static html arena, i am lookin for develop of my internet database skills.

example. A customer wishes to host information, such as local businesses, on a database and publish to the web. wants the ability to change the database himself and for it to show up on web.

sketchy exaple i know, but i wonder are there any tips, software, even resources where a guy can learn ?

are we talking MySQL and ASP ? bear in mind that I have no dedicated server [only the free eircom ones].

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

hello

Hello.

sketchy exaple i know, but i wonder are there any tips, software, even resources where a guy can learn ? are we talking MySQL and ASP ?

I don't think you want to mix those two anyway. You can work with MySQL from ASP, but ASP is more suited to proprietry MS databases (access for piddly stuff, MS SQL for bigger boys). If you want to use MySQL, you would be better off with Perl or PHP. PHP would most likely be easier, you'll find lots of tutorials and sampled out there on the net. A good place to start is on the links page on php.net.

bear in mind that I have no dedicated server [only the free eircom ones].

You won't be able to run a database so, unless you wish to pay Eircom an extortianate fee. If you just want to play, you can download Apache, PHP and MySQL in binary format for Windows, install them and feck around locally. (If Apache doesn't suit you, you can use PHP on IIS or PWS.)

If you actually need to set something live, you'll need to get a hosting account that supports PHP and MySQL.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

For the WinDohs platform you can get PHP triad which installs Apache, mySQL, PHP and Perl in one quick go. It works well enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

access for piddly stuff

it is just piddly stuff that i intend to do, something simple. Imagine the Northwind example in ms access and you'll get the idea.

so based on that, recommendations for cheapest server that supports my piddly requirements ? [hence my db noobness]

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Access and asp is a great combination. It works very well online, if you can reduce the amount transactions or calls to the database.

A great source for asp stuff is

http://www.w3schools.com

When it gets a tad more serious, upgrading to MS SQL is a doddle if a bit expensive (expect to pay around 50 euros per month) and if you get to that stage your site should be making money at least.

MYSQL / PHP is certainly the better platform - but its tricky to get running locally and once online you have to telnet to the server which most reasonably priced hosting companies won't let you do.

one word

sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

I like the PHP+mySQL combo personally, but as Terminator already said, telnet/SSH access is really helpful but a handy alternative is something like the free phpMyAdmin. There is just so many free programs that run php+mysql (phpBB, phpNuke the list goes on...), so if you can get a good host that does php/mysql, your site can be opened to a whole world of dynamic didgereee-doos! - people magnets.

yellum, well spent the last 2 hours downloading php triad to give it a go. Then by eircom intervention, they decide to cut me off with 29 secs to go! grrrrrr. What can I do, but shrug it off and download it again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by peterd
    yellum, well spent the last 2 hours downloading php triad to give it a go. Then by eircom intervention, they decide to cut me off with 29 secs to go! grrrrrr. What can I do, but shrug it off and download it again :(
    ehhh ? you don't use download accelerator? http://www.speedbit.com
    it's called auto-resume :)

:p I do NOW.

I have GoZilla, but being in Opera @ the time just downloaded it straight :rolleyes: (still not admitting it was my fault tho, ye hear:D )

Have we converted Gone Shootin to php, or do I have to twist yer arm???

it sounds good, i just have to sit down and learn the damn thing now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Any download over 1mb in size and I'll use Download Accel if I'm on a landline as its always the case that you'll get cut off.

It might have been cheaper in your case if I or someone else sent you a cd of it. :P 60p or something versus whatever 4 hours online is.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by yellum
    For the WinDohs platform you can get PHP triad which installs Apache, mySQL, PHP and Perl in one quick go. It works well enough.
    I can't thank you enough. You have just saved me an absolute fortune in ridiculous phone bills to eircom. I can now test and run everything off-line, before uploading again. Thank you SO much. The perl that ships with that triad version is pretty uesless, but it lets you run any perl you have on your system, so I have perl connecting to the mySQL database it sets up as well now. Once again. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Coldfusion is also another option, it's quite easy to pick up as its tag based like HTML and can do everything PHP / ASP can do. Check www.macromedia.com for more info, www.readyhosting.com is a cheat CFM host and www.cfm-resources.com is a free CFM host.

It will be harder / more expensive to get a CFM host as the software costs $6000 for the best version or free for the express which is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

trust me bud when I say this, download dreamweaver ultradev
    install pws
    bingo your on your way
    thats what i did anyway
    what you want to do is exactly what Im selling to real estate agents.
    And now designing 1 for garages
    Also just finished part of a site half an hour ago with the same principal for a TD (Won't say which one)
    A web site that they change themselves
    have a peek

www.nalcro.com
    click on the demo link

looking very nice indeed !! that is exactly what i would like

so

where did you learn all this stuff ? wat size is the download ? do you want to give me all your web material for free ?

i know you do !

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Lol - Use the force ...

You do want to give me all your web material for free

Thanks
    taught myself,
    30meg download. :eek:
    but worth the tutorials alone.
    Actually I do want to give away all my web material for free. But in this day and age for some reason we humans don't operate like that anymore.
    To save the 30meg download, maybe macromedia might post out the trial cd to you

god but your a chancer,
    I had a look at your site,
    the ould right click alert (sorry, Contact us for use of Material)
    Ironic I said to myself
    Then I noticed something even more Ironic. Did you do the lewis property site?
    If so Nice job. Looks like I won't be selling them a package

yes i made the lewis properties site. In fact I made pretty much all of the sites on mitchelstown.net

heres the catch tho

some of em [mitchmusic, grape2k, tom-hyland-property] wanted to be able to edit the site themselves. Which means "ooops, i know how to use word, so i know how to use frontpage too ?", gives my heartache.

thats where a system like yours comes in. lewis properties is fine, but its not database background, no real flexibility, have to show the guy [who forgets] how to do it via HTML / Frontpage.

To be honest its not my intention to use you package on any property site that may come [or have come] my way. Its a different project that i need it for. its one where the clients ease of editing the site is paramount, with the least amount of design problems on his part.

and thats my problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are a few online editors available to help with content management of sites - one of my clients uses one without any difficulty - but you need to have access to PHP or some other scripting language to do it.
    Where are you hosting???

• Advertisement

He's hosting with eircom.

As discussed in another thread , maybe try some of these WYSIWYG web editors: http://vsbabu.org/tools/ieeditor/index.php OR http://www.velt.net/velt/content/WebIEdit/index.html . They should be fairly straight forward to follow for your type of clientele. Also, they will allow for a lot more flexibility then most *free* Content Management Systems (CMS). They both require php as far as I can remember, so either way, you'll be looking to move from eircom to a more serious host to suit this client.

Advertisement