Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I may be wrong but:

Options
  • 23-03-2002 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

I was under the impression to get Digital Tv (pure 100hz signal)
    you had to have a fibre optic cable .
    Now i got this information of www.howstuffworks.com.
    Now according to NTL if you get there Digital cable you can receive 100hz quality tru a decoder .I asked the girl on the phone if the decoder converts a 100hz signal into analog for displaying on my tv(50hz) what is the option for someone who has a 100hz tv (i lied about that bit :) ).
    Now she had me on hold for ages asking people this question :
    I asked how do i get 100hz signal from an analogue line ?
    She said the area had been upgraded
    I asked so can i get cable modem (my ulterior motive for the call)
    She said no .
    Now this part confuses me i hope someone in here can clarify this for me .
    Can a 100hz digital signal be transmitted through an analog cable (its dumb i know )?
    And how can NTL offer a digital servive with a decoder that converts supposedly digital into analog for 50hz tvs ?
    I have a 50hz tv and SKY digital (agian converts it to analogue for my tv to display )
    Thx
    kdja

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

(after much confusion):

ATTN:
    Thread moved to Cable and MMDS forum

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Digital TV refers to the transmission method - i.e. to get the signal from Sky to you and me, they use a digital signal. The 100Hz you refer to appears to be the refresh rate of the TV. To the best of my knowledge, there are no purely digital television sets available (i.e. TV's that take a digital signal and do not convert it to analogue). There is a HDTV standard (high definition TV), but I think even that is analogue.

Digital TV can therefore be displayed on your (and mine) TV set due to the fact the decoder converts it to analogue.

Hope this helps.

TD.

Advertisement