Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BAnds? Are you good enough? :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Dutch Gold should be awarded some kinda prize I think ......is there a student in the country who hasn't survived on a six pack of dutchy and a pack of tayto.......

here's to the beefy lad with the keg on his shoulder, I liked to think he was off knacker drinking in some field in holland with his big keg and that funky head gear..

that's all Im saying for now Mr. Brunkard...good meeting last night though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Any indication of how many bands so far have entered?

Unsure at the moment but the uptake has been good and many enquireies have been going back and forth...this is Toms baby and Im sure he will address you question accordingly.....

but come along to the TBMC on the 13th April and we can all have a good chat about it :D

All the best -
    trev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

A fair few ;)

Originally posted by Trev M

but come along to the TBMC on the 13th April and we can all have a good chat about it :D

Why what happens then?

• Advertisement

We're having a Gigsmart extravaganza! Its our first gig in TBMC and we'll be launching our CD with Ginseng, Otranome, Quincy and new Phantom dawrlings PolaR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

so this is full up then? feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Listen up, GigStupid.

I've been quite polite in my posts concerning your battle of the bands. I didn't take to personal insults or try and goad you with PM's. I had a number of valid points and my opinion, being just as valid as anyone elses, was expressed. What do i get in return? I certainly don't get straight answers. No, i get you being a twat. You didn't have time to answer my questions but you have time to go over old posts of mine which are completely irrelevant. I have neither the time nor the inclination to even bother looking at what you've been posting. A: because it's irrelevant. B: let me see, it's IRRELEVANT.

Oh and what's going to happen if i do come along for a chat on the 13th? Was that some kind of threat? Are you gonna beat me up? I bet my Da is bigger than your Da........

Oh and my questions still haven't been answered. If you're not relying on the the bands entry fee for the event, why do you need exactly 35 bands? If only 34 bands enter, will the event be cancelled? I don't see why it should be, €90 isn't a huge some of money for a band so it shouldn't mean anything to an organisation such as yourselves.

Killian

Hi Killian,
    No one has been threatening you for a start , asking to come along on the 13th for a chat is a threat to you.? I won't address you again on this board and have asked Tom to do likewise because clearly rather than trying to address a problem as you see it you are trying to create one(very typical).
    There will be 35 bands, that's the way it is,.....an organisation such as ourselves think €90 is reasonable, ok, we are a voluntary organisation, we don't get paid get it!

If Tom gets frustrated and tells you to piss off I wouldn't blame him, this is done on our own time so we can raise money for an organsiation that we run to help promote bands.....like I ALWAYS SAY to anyone you name a time and a place and we can chat about any of your concerns face to face , once again it is very clear who we are but not who you are, a fairly regular scenario , we have our own names up here because we have nothing to hide, we're on the level and invite anyone to add something meaningful to the organisation all the time, we have not excluded anyone and have afforded you every courtesy, but will not waste time with petty arguements , you are obviously intent in elevating this into something rediculous, clearly we do not have time to waste any further....

Good day to you and good luck , the competition is fair and clear. We will not expect you to have anything positive to contribute and as such will not respond to your allegations and posts designed to frustrate and annoy the people involved in organising this.

Trev

I'm only ribbing you killian! No need to take it to heart! Read the posts my dear and read them objectively, you'll find the only legitimate complaints are

a.)I'm gigstupid cos I should have known that not everyone would share in the joke that I disagreed with everything you've posted on boards.ie since you've joined by viewing your profile just to take the piss.

and b.) €90 is aa bit much for some bands. On this we'll have to agree to differ

I can't help you with a.) except to offer to buy you a pint of your favourite brew (Guinness?) and and give you a hug any Saturday night in the International Bar, Wicklow Street where we have our weekly unplugged-ish night.

I've also answered all your questions satisfactorally if you read the posts!
    We need 35 bands and we shall have 35 bands.

Kirn, theres still spaces available.

Killian can we restore the love between us? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 snoop_dogg

nigga, you crazy. i lookin around your application form, and i dont see no rap/hip hop style.

you aint nutin but a busta'

Nice graphic, is there such thing as a Hip hop band in Dublin?

Read: BAND wars

Originally posted by Thomas from Presence
    Nice graphic, is there such thing as a Hip hop band in Dublin?

Read: BAND wars

how would you know if you aint giving any of them a chance?

I just lashed down what the organisers of last years compo put down. I was more concerned with sorting out more important things like more prizes and cheap beer and transport (I don't get paid for this either :( ) while simultaneaously learning a set of cure songs for a gig I'm playing next week, co-writing a musical, teaching music, studying for a degree, convincing my girlfriend that I have time for a relationship, arranging sundry other gigsmart activities. It seemed the least of my worries this week.

I'm sure they would have the initiative (unlike gigdummy Tom here, duuuhh, my bum smells kinda funny dugghh) to mail us and ask if they're cool to enter or if they could find room they could put down down 'rap/hip hop' on the page or indeed ask the ppl in the shop they got the form from if it was cool.

was more concerned with sorting out more important things ..........while simultaneaously learning a set of cure songs for a gig I'm playing next week

pretty gay
    co-writing a musical

gayer
    teaching music, studying for a degree

way to go brainiac
    convincing my girlfriend that I have time for a relationship

there's no point, she's gonna find Snoop soon enough.
    (unlike gigdummy Tom here, duuuhh, my bum smells kinda funny dugghh)

dude, talking about other peoples asses is pretty gay too.

in conclusion: more rap, less gay.

I'm only ribbing you killian! No need to take it to heart! Read the posts my dear and read them objectively, you'll find the only legitimate complaints are

a.)I'm gigstupid cos I should have known that not everyone would share in the joke that I disagreed with everything you've posted on boards.ie since you've joined by viewing your profile just to take the piss.

and b.) €90 is aa bit much for some bands. On this we'll have to agree to differ

I can't help you with a.) except to offer to buy you a pint of your favourite brew (Guinness?) and and give you a hug any Saturday night in the International Bar, Wicklow Street where we have our weekly unplugged-ish night.

I've also answered all your questions satisfactorally if you read the posts!

Kirn, theres still spaces available.

Killian can we restore the love between us? :(

I just thought it was uncalled for. I hadn't insulted you or your organisation. I had genuine concerns about the competition. I wasn't trying to single-handedly bring down your competition, as if i could. I had my own opinion and i expressed it. Obviously our opinions differ.

Anyway, i'll agree to disagree on this one.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

allright if you want a "rap wars" then start one, if you want to build a rap scene like gigsmart is trying to build a rock scene go for it but why all this bitching about someone trying to do something cool. It is pretty obvious that Thomas etc at gigsmart are making the greatest effort to support and build the msuic scene in Dublin and all ths crapping and whining is really unnecessary bull. Seems to me that Thomas's and Trev's efforts are pretty damn genuine and well intentioned and that they are putting together something that could be really cool for a msuic scene. This is a pretty rare effort and in my opinion a good one.... but to those who seek to find fault in everything then do something better. no I don't know them and I am not affiliated with GS in any way but I think what they are up to is pretty cool overall

Originally posted by atonal
    allright if you want a "rap wars" then start one, if you want to build a rap scene like gigsmart is trying to build a rock scene go for it but why all this bitching about someone trying to do something cool. It is pretty obvious that Thomas etc at gigsmart are making the greatest effort to support and build the msuic scene in Dublin and all ths crapping and whining is really unnecessary bull. Seems to me that Thomas's and Trev's efforts are pretty damn genuine and well intentioned and that they are putting together something that could be really cool for a msuic scene. This is a pretty rare effort and in my opinion a good one.... but to those who seek to find fault in everything then do something better. no I don't know them and I am not affiliated with GS in any way but I think what they are up to is pretty cool overall

dont hate the player.

hate the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Minerva

Tom, ahoy on the Erdinger comment...its a quality beer.
    I had my first not 10 miles from Erding.

and snoop..no slaps on the back for your disrespectful picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Originally posted by K!LL!@N
    Listen up, GigStupid.

I've been quite polite in my posts concerning your battle of the bands. I didn't take to personal insults.....

Thats very big of you, not going in for personal insults from the get go. You should be proud.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to even bother looking at what you've been posting. A: because it's irrelevant. B: let me see, it's IRRELEVANT.

How do you know if you havent read it?

Oh and what's going to happen if i do come along for a chat on the 13th? Was that some kind of threat? Are you gonna beat me up? I bet my Da is bigger than your Da........

erm..paranoia? I did read the gigsmart guys replies and I didnt pick up on any threats.....

Oh and my questions still haven't been answered. If you're not relying on the the bands entry fee for the event, why do you need exactly 35 bands?

How do you know they havent been answered if you arent reading their replies? What difference does the ratio of sponsorship to entry fee funding make to either this thread or the argument on whether entering the competition is worth entering?

Personally the way I see it is that Gigsmart are presenting you with the opportunity to enter this battle of bands for a sum of money they have decided to be the correct amount. Nobody ever said you _have_ to enter the competition If its too expensive or you have beef with the way its run, then dont enter but for gods sake stop whining on like a 4 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bigbabyjesus

Originally posted by atonal
    if you want to build a rap scene like gigsmart is trying to build a rock scene go for it but why all this bitching about someone trying to do something cool.

Surely building a MUSIC scene would be far more rewarding than building a scene of bands who sound "kinda like Zeppelin, or Fleetwood Mac"?

The ironic thing is there is a small rap scene in Dublin and those guys are getting better paid, better reviews, better audiences and playing with far higher profile acts than any of you GigSmart bands. Creative Control even have an amazing video on TV.
    But I guess you guys stopped watching No Disco.

Also, the 'Thumped Scene Bands' have far surpassed "your bands" (you all know who you are) in terms of originality, creativity, record production, quality of records, quality of videos and the passion and effort a hell of a lot of them are puting into their music.

Everything about them makes you guys look painfully transparent as the major label hounding wannabe rockstars you really are. In future, try not to get so excited about the fact you're no longer 'paying to play'; you simply caught up with what a whole scene of people have already been doing for years and never made any big fuss about it in the first place.

Stop taking yourselves so seriously, you're not worth it.
    Time to stop being so wrapped up in this "if you criticise us, you're going to kill our scene" mentality.

bye,

Russell

ps - 90 euro to enter a competition is rather steep. If you really want to put peoples minds at ease, you should publish your accounts and your intentions for the money made and the type of equipment on offer. I personally belive the GigSmart people to be above board in their accounting.

pps - best of luck with all your future endevours, I dont know any of you guys, but I have heard your bands (this is the important bit) and they're all pretty mediocre and unoriginal. Always room for improvement, so I wont count you all out just yet. Well maybe not the J!ve Princpal - there's no hope for you; split up.

ppps - I know most of my points dont directly relate to this thread, but you're all going to read it, so it seemed like a good a place as any.

Originally posted by Shad0r

Thats very big of you, not going in for personal insults from the get go. You should be proud.

How do you know if you havent read it?

erm..paranoia? I did read the gigsmart guys replies and I didnt pick up on any threats.....

How do you know they havent been answered if you arent reading their replies? What difference does the ratio of sponsorship to entry fee funding make to either this thread or the argument on whether entering the competition is worth entering?

Personally the way I see it is that Gigsmart are presenting you with the opportunity to enter this battle of bands for a sum of money they have decided to be the correct amount. Nobody ever said you _have_ to enter the competition If its too expensive or you have beef with the way its run, then dont enter but for gods sake stop whining on like a 4 year old.

I'm usually very polite, but i'm gonna jump right in here with an insult. You are an idiot. I have read every post on
    THIS thread. The reference i made about not reading Thomas' posts was in reference to the fact that he had gone and read posts i had made on other UNRELATED topics. And i was simply pointing out the fact that referring to these posts was IRRELEVANT.

Not once did i say that Gigsmart were doing something they shouldn't be. I just think they could better serve up and coming bands with a slightly lower entry fee. If the prizes can't be as good as a consequence, then so be it.

I'd appreciate it, if you got your facts straight before you start accusing people.

Killian

OK would any of you like to meet for a pint and discuss this like men or shall we continue to act and like little internet nerds and sling silly homophobic insults at each other? Or are you afraid of a big dirty greasy rocker?! ;)

As regards the rap scene fair fux to yis! Congrats! Creative Control rule! I saw em at Heineken awards last year! Breath of fresh air! Whattya want from me homies?!

We do alright. Fair play to thumped. They've a nice site and cool bands, they've been at this longer than us and we're both comfortable with the size of our penises so theres no real rivalary or comparison. In terms of aesthetic comparisons then I'll refer you to the old adage: 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'

A lot of ppl like the acts we have with us. If you don't then thanks for checking em out! I have to take some level of seriousness with this because I want it to succeed. I believe in what I do as much as anyone beliefs in what they do.

If any of you want me to lie down and die because you don't like the DIVERSE amount of music I want to see made more available to the masses then on behalf of everyone who is involved and believes in Gigsmart:

F.UCK YOU

P.s. We keep accounts and we have meetings, available on request.

Shad0r Killian and I had a misunderstanding the love has returned. ;)

Thanks for the support Atonal. I owe you Killian,

Shad0r Killian and I had a misunderstanding the love has returned. ;)

Thanks for the support Atonal. I owe you Killian, [/B]

i aint bein anti-gay or nothing. but you really seem to have a boner for killian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Johnas

90 euro is insane price to enter some crazy ass competition

this just pay to play dressed up as competition

Gigsmart are the Louis Walsh of Dublin bands

except at least Louis admoits he's only it in for the cash

90 euro!!!

you must be nuts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭horsekick

OK im maybe im gonna seem a bit mad and paranoid here but isn't it strange that Johnas posted his first EVER post 15 minutes after snoop dog, having only had the profile created today??
    Apologies if im mistaken but either way im not sure anyone's gonna take what he said seriously.
    Oh and Snoop Dog, Gigsmart has never labelled itself to a particualar genre of music, if you ACTUALLY TAKE THE TIME to listen to music from the bands involved you will notice a varied range of music.
    As for there being no hip-hop, to the best of my knowledge Gigsmart has never recieved a cd from any group of people (i may be mistaken) involved in that genre of music. Its not up to them to go out and find the bands to get involved. Maybe you should get a group goin and get involved. Gigsmart is there to support "the local MUSIC scene" , again if you ever take the time to actually read into what they are doing. get people you know involved in this scene to send in cds etc. Unlesss of course your scared of the fact Gigsmart might prove you wrong.

oh and Russell....Im pretty sure that they still have to pay to play.
    As for "Thumped's bands" getting better exposure etc, im not gonna sit here and nit-pick with you but there are a lot of bands involved with Gigsmart that acheived so much in such a short time. Remember Gigsmart only started as an idea last September so maybe you should analyse what has been acheived in this short space of time and maybe sit back and wait till the end of the year before you decide they are generally a group of under-acheivers.

p.s Snoop Dog...... I think your gay, you seem to be reading into what the lads are saying a lot and turning it into a homosexual innnuendo.. dont hide it, be proud, nobody here will treat you differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭pixe

BBjesus, the quote you took

"if you want to build a rap scene like gigsmart is trying to build a rock scene go for it but why all this bitching about someone trying to do something cool"

Then read what you wrote:
    Surely building a MUSIC scene would be far more rewarding than building a scene of bands who sound "kinda like Zeppelin, or Fleetwood Mac"?

I agree that people/music need to progress, and if you have ever been to one of gigsmarts international gigs I think that you would be greatly impressed by the varity found there. Yes as in any scene you'll find the some of the norm but most of the musicians there are far from the zepplin wannabes you so talk about.

I also thnk that you misunderstand the whole concept of gigsmart. Gigsmart has opened its arms to many other musicans, besides just rock, but yes it is mainly rock/indie/alternative, because they are the ones who have come forth! However if rap bands were to come to meeting, or other acts, they'd be treated the same as everyone else. :)
    Stop taking yourselves so seriously, you're not worth it.

Everybody is worth it!

You should never say never to any musiacian regardless of taste, cause you never know what they could contribute! By telling people to give up thats how the MUSIC scene will not build!
    but I have heard your bands (this is the important bit) and they're all pretty mediocre and unoriginal.

Your talking about over 100 irish bands and singer songerwriters here - I'm glad you got a chance to listen to all of them cause I hav'nt heard all of them yet!
    People do take it seriously, because people have been fecked about so much by the main stream that Gigsmart holds good hopes. I was in a band for 3years, before we started to get high profile gigs, and they were through gigsmart! Gigsmart has only been around since november, and I think that it's doing damn well for it's self!

Secondly €90's is nothing, as I said before, i've paid more to play a gig with the grantee of getting nothing from the door either!( witha fecken promoter that had us doing all the work!)

So for the chance of winning €4000s of gear, a gig (possibly more), growing a fan base and helping out a voluntary organisation that helps musicians/bands for free , a garenteed fair judging system (which is unheard of!)... I think that is a pretty damn good deal :D

Lastly, to all the nagitive stuff.....I really hate to read bugrudgery. Why write it? If you don't agree with something, and you've no intentions of wanting too agree why do people continue to write horrible things for no good damn reason?
    If you think that the competion is too expensive or you have some other complaint, let the people who have none do the fecken competion and stop pissing people off with your negivtive attutuides.
    I don't like Mc donalds food, but I don't walk in there, give **** to the manager about the quality of the food when I've no intentions of even eating it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Jaysus folks will yez just stall the digger here for a minute and lay off, I am not in a band or involved with gigsmart I am meerly an observer, why is it that whenever anybody tries to make anysort of a stand its the jealous little people who are the first to try and kick them back down?, this is something that is open to anybody if you dont like it dont get involved and dont lay the boot in,mind your own business, why is everybody so quick to criticise do they perhaps feel threatened if so go about your business and prove yourself to be better dont, piggyback someone elses ideas and causes to justify your own insecurities if you think you can do better by all means help yourself, this seems to me to be an organisation set up in the intrest of helping themselves and anybody willing to help themselves to attempt to get some recognition this is clearly working by virtue of the fact that so many people are taking humbridge in this particular event. I ask you why is that exactly ?

Originally posted by horsekick
    p.s Snoop Dog...... I think your gay, you seem to be reading into what the lads are saying a lot and turning it into a homosexual innnuendo.. dont hide it, be proud, nobody here will treat you differently.

dude, just cos you are looking for a boyfriend, does not mean that you should go around asking everyone to be your boyfriend.

get your aids away from me.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus

Well maybe not the J!ve Princpal - there's no hope for you; split up.

Ha ha! You're sound.
    it's The Jive Principle ... don't forget that ye muthafúcker!
    You've obviously heard us, you're possibly in a band yourself, and you're quite clearly jealous! So I don't give a fúck what you say.

Anyone think it's strange the way two brand new newbies joined up to boards, and posted to this specific thread to abuse people!?
    Yeah... me too :)

Advertisement