Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL No Limits

Options
  • 23-03-2002 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Okay so it's been about a year since IOL killed off 2,000 users- they tried to do me in but I made a big fuss. So they told me to use it for only 75hours a month. Which I did for a few months..

At present I use around 150 hours.. is IOL still "monitoring" our time online? And would they get pissed off if I download over 100Mb a night? =]

I just dont want to be cut off :(

Not until Cork get's ADSL or something

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I don't think they're checking. I was one of the ones that got the letter, so I called up and agreed to the 75 hour limit, which I obeyed for a month or two, and slowly fell back into my normal usage pattern, which is most of the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I'm using no limits and I use it heavily. I downloaded 150mb last night. And i do that about once a week. I wouldn't worry about it. I use it alot on the weekend but I don't use it much on week nights. Maybe about an hour a night. I haven't heard anyone else being cut off since the big cull

I don't think they CAN check it easily - if they could, I certainly wouldn't still be using it. :)
    Another thing that makes me think they can't track it is that when the 2000 were cut off, some people who hardly used the service at all got a letter. (Apparently.)

I called them last monday to see if it was considered off peak for nolimits customers - the girl answered yes, then asked for my number, so I just said bye and hung up - what did they want my number for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Another worry:

I'm moving house within the next month, anyone got them to change their CLI (phone number) recently or am I out of luck?

K

Nope, yer screwed kix. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by phaxx
    what did they want my number for?

I assume she needed it to log your call in their customer care [never thought I'd say that in the same sentence as Esat!:)] database.

They're probably required to ask, and to log your call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Well Ive been going over 75-hrs since around Oct / Nov -- but even then it would be like 100-125 hours. Now I just leave it connected and have started my big downloads again (Since Jan) so I cross 175-200hrs.

They asked me for my phone number also once as I said bye -- I pretended I didnt fully understand and said "Thanks a lot, Bbye"

One thing though -- in Pakistan where Internet calls are free (hah!) The ISPs make the money by charging per hour. When I lived there for a few years, every month Id get a bill from my ISP showing details on my logins / logouts -- total hours used -- and hence total bill. So Id say it is possible. Although ISPs in the early days charged rocket-high prices, with deregulation, hundreds of ISPs flocked the scene and now almost all ISPs are flat rate (with no download caps). ISDN is flat-rate. And cable is already avaliable in over 70% of the three major cities

Pakistan has better Internet than Ireland!
    I just may wanna move back there someday

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I reckon that once they implemented the means to monitor peoples usage initially, that is just a matter of someone checkin back through logs for months of leeching users to find the real culprits, they have obviously not looked at the stats since they sent the last letter. This is quite odd, but if i was on no-limits now, i think id start to cut back on my usage as its that time of year again...... they mite do the same again this year, and they wont make the mistake that they made last year. if you are caught this time, if there is a "this" time, you are finished.

Just a note:

if you move house and bring your phone number with you, your CLI will be the same, would you still be able to use their service?

or would they have to fiddle your account in some way. I'm thinkin it should work regardless of your location, although bills will go to the original address, so maybe not all is lost if you move house. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

I believe they look at your phone number when you ring in. So if you're bringing your phone number over with yourself Id assume it'll still work. Pray it does! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

I don't think they'll check this year. They royally ****ed themselves over by disconnecting 2000 people last year. Look at the grief that was caused, though maybe thats what they wanted.

It did help to spawn IrelandOffline which was a good thing. I have always used and abused no limits without getting a letter from them. but maybe thats because I use it during the day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭irishgeo

hi there. just a quick no limits question. i am signed up for it and it comes out of my bank account.

but dad wants to sign up for the whole esat home phone thing. he wants me to cancel my direct debit and then route the whole esat bill it through his account is this possible without screwing the no limits thing up.

i talked to esat about it they said fine but never sent the forms to sign up.

eircom cut off our accoount for non payment of a bill but it was our first time late and they never sent out a reminder. so much for loyalty.

So can i do this.

i know someone who works for eircom internet and they said they never seem a company like it for no having a clue how to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

if you call eircom they will move your number for you to the new house once its in the same area code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah they are keeping the rest of there subscribers caus there 6 in our house and we use it about 300 hrs a month but if they call just ask to speek to some one seniour and give them a firm talking to.

back in may they tried to kick me off so i gave them hell and they sad " ok ok just don't don't shoot" and i won

Er, say what exactly? They're perfectly within their rights to kick you off, it says it right there in the contract. Somewhere.

Although one may have a point with arguing that "You advertised it as an unlimited service!", it probably wouldn't get you anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by Kix
    Another worry:

I'm moving house within the next month, anyone got them to change their CLI (phone number) recently or am I out of luck?

K

No Kix you're fine!. I moved house in January, and contacted IOL about this. I have been a customer of theirs for nearly 2 years, and didn't receive a letter last April/May. In my new house I have a different local number, buy my area code is still the same.

All I had to do is contact IOL, and inform them. They send you out a change of address/number form, which you fill in, and send back. The whole transition took about 2 weeks, which is pretty good compared to some of the horror stories I've been hearing about ISPs + phone companies on these boards.

I was actually shi77ing it at the time because I was a 75+hpm user, and hoped that they hadn't been monitoring. They obviously hadn't because the month or two before that I had been over the 100hpm mark. :p

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by phaxx
    I don't think they CAN check it easily - if they could, I certainly wouldn't still be using it. :)
    Another thing that makes me think they can't track it is that when the 2000 were cut off, some people who hardly used the service at all got a letter. (Apparently.)

Yeah, moved house last summer, but kept SNL at my old addresss, cause I knew I'd be going back - so I was paying £20 a month for something I wasn't using (because once you signed off, you couldn't get get back)- and I got the letter. - 4 months after last using SNL.

(Admittidly, prior to that I was using probably 30/40 hours a week :)

Tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

But you could have transfered your SNL account over to the new address/number if you wanted. I just want to make sure people know this because there were no hassles whatsoever.

But the part about, if you leave the service voluntarily, you will not get back on it, is true!!. So beware of that.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

have they definitley stopped taking new customers ,i have rang them about this and they say if i get the whole @home thing i might be considered ,
    But im wary of that offer .
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

i use iol -nolimits for about 30 or 40 hours a week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cableskeptic

[At present I use around 150 hours.. is IOL still "monitoring" our time online? And would they get pissed off if I download over 100Mb a night? =]

In the interests of general research into this area I'm interested to know how many people people would regularly need to download over 100Mb of data on a nightly basis.

I suppose it could be video streaming MPEG4? What else? Is this something that everyone will be doing in a few years time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by cableskeptic

In the interests of general research into this area I'm interested to know how many people people would regularly need to download over 100Mb of data on a nightly basis.

Well, I wouldn't download that much every night. However, when MS start their next round of testing for Windows, I'd expect to average about 1GB per month. That's purely OSes, no patches or anything else. Thank goodness for the temporary respite that ADSL is giving me.

Advertisement