Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to reduce hops to a server?

Options
  • 23-03-2002 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

is it possible to reduce hops to a server ??
    I have tried various ISPs and
    Eircom was 11
    IOL was 15
    UTV was 13
    All gave me 200 to 999 ping on the server.
    I doubt it but i found a bottle neck on the hop list and was wondering if it could be re routed or something like that?
    im clutching at straws here but as i dont know i might as well ask .
    And assume the people in here would know more about it than me .
    Thx
    Kdja

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Nah, there isn't really anything you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

you see the whole point of routing is to find the shortest(time)path..so the path is decided for you..it is the shortest possible path..and the fact that some nodes on your path will only have one connection out of them.
    on another note if you use pathping (win2k) from a command prompt it will give you a read out and you can find out where the bottleneck is..thn the best thing you can do is change is accordingly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Not strictly true, BGP4 will take multiple attributes into account when deciding the route and the route it chooses won't necessarily be the shortest one.

Eg: 3 routers A, B and C. Each connected to the other two by 10Mb ethernet, except for the connection between A and B, which is a 64k serial connection. If traffic is going from A to B, it won't take the shortest path (through the serial), it'll go the long way because it'll get 10Mb of bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

sorry,but shortest path i meant the quickest..

Advertisement