Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does this mean?

Options
  • 24-03-2002 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭

The pitch:

eircom hi-speed bonus

Ever found the Internet too slow? Or missed a call because you were busy surfing the Internet? With an Internet connection from eircom hi-speed, it need never happen again. That's because eircom hi-speed is an enhanced phone line that becomes two lines in one. It's the faster way to download from the Internet and you can make and take calls while online.

With an eircom hi-speed line, the connection charge is 125.69 and monthly line rental is 44.55 replacing the current rental on your ordinary phone line.

And now with eircom hi-speed bonus, you can get 13 hours of evening and weekend Internet call credit at home - every month - for an extra 2.01 per month! This means you can surf longer at no extra cost!

You can also get 20% off the price of your new ISDN modem. This offers only applies to a) Draytek MiniVigor 128 Modem and b) Webflyer serial modem.

The subject:

And now with eircom hi-speed bonus, you can get 13 hours of evening and weekend Internet call credit at home - every month - for an extra 2.01 per month! This means you can surf longer at no extra cost!

Does this sound like a semi-unmetered product, or is this just me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Originally posted by Kennett
    The pitch:

eircom hi-speed bonus

Ever found the Internet too slow? Or missed a call because you were busy surfing the Internet? With an Internet connection from eircom hi-speed, it need never happen again. That's because eircom hi-speed is an enhanced phone line that becomes two lines in one. It's the faster way to download from the Internet and you can make and take calls while online.

With an eircom hi-speed line, the connection charge is 125.69 and monthly line rental is 44.55 replacing the current rental on your ordinary phone line.

And now with eircom hi-speed bonus, you can get 13 hours of evening and weekend Internet call credit at home - every month - for an extra 2.01 per month! This means you can surf longer at no extra cost.

Kennett,

It MEANS we want more of your money and we will con it out of you if we have too. The unsurpassed leaders of "crooked" Capitalism - EircoN. I hope the Directors of that outfit read this and live close to the Liffey - where they belong, if justice prevailed.

God help me- paddy "stop" being rude to those poor "impoverished" EIRCOM Directors.

Hope you get what I am trying to say about their NEW i.stream offer. The only place for it is in the file/i.e. BIN.

Yours,paddy20. (A broken man - thanks mainly to Eircon, must buy a dictionary. re: my usage of the english language.:cool:

Edited by Bard to fix QUOTE tag (for clarity's sake)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

There's not much point in me worrying about the i-stream offer I guess... it's going to be a long time before this small towner gets it :-/
    Although, co-incidentally, I live in 'Europes fastest growing town'. surely if I live here, wouldn't (or shouldn't) DSL be tested here in the early phases (ie: 1 or 2)?

That bonus thing had me thinking... if eircom can offer something like that (if it is similar to Surf No Limits, that is)... Why can't they do that for 56k modem users?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

Duh!

Because they're insane <_>!

"Wo0-Wo0!
    HellOW and welcome to EiRcOm- WeEe!
    Here @ EiRcOm we think YouR monEy shoUld go backwaRd's, from YouR PocKET, lIkE ouR ideAL's, Wo0-Wo0!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

why are you getting worked up over 13hours a month? we're beggining to sound sad =(

I was merely stating that they seem to be offering a (partial) flat-rate service (for 13 hours a month) for around €2 on this IDSN bonus thing. if they can do something like that for IDSN... Why not 56K modems? i mean... they're all dialling into the same number, in theory aren't they? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 wiredtothemoon

if they can do something like that for IDSN... Why not 56K modems? i mean... they're all dialling into the same number, in theory aren't they?

yes it's still a local call to your ISP, however...

ISDN is an outdated and expensive technology, hardly any surprise that our friends at eircom are trying to push it to unsuspecting punters.
    I have heard people saying things like "my friend in new york has high speed internet and says it's brilliant, i must find out about that 'eircom high-speed thingy' "
    64k is hardly a groundbreaking improvement over 56k (or 45k-50k as it is for most), and i don't recall too many mentions made of the fact that connecting at 128k costs twice as much.........

flat-rate access at 128k would be tempting i admit, although ill probably just wait till adsl gets out to the sticks or bertie comes knocking on my door with a length of fiber optic...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Originally posted by Kennett
    I was merely stating that they seem to be offering a (partial) flat-rate service (for 13 hours a month) for around €2 on this IDSN bonus thing. if they can do something like that for IDSN... Why not 56K modems? i mean... they're all dialling into the same number, in theory aren't they? :confused:

kennett,

Great point - why do not consider asking your local - County councillor - That one, or your TD.

If they can offer 13hours "ONLINE" for less than 2 Euros a month. Then why can they not give us ALL an immediate flat-rate Unmetered internet service for - 25.00 Euros a Month ??.. I could live with that in the meantime. I would of course be happier with a fast DSL service a an affordable -flat-rate, but why am I being ripped off at this moment by Eircom.

Your, paddy20.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

When you add up the costs of connecting via isdn, especially at 128k, 13 hours for 2 euros isn't that great.

No, it isn't really, is it? That's only 6.5 hours on a dual line, then it's back to your 2.50 cent/minute call rate... it would be a good plan if eircom was to cut normal local costs in half, then it might be a bit more viable to get a dual channel idsn line... and they might actually get more people signing up for IDSN. Although, is it really worth it getting dual IDSN?

Advertisement