Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Rapper?

Options
  • 24-03-2002 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Now, I don't care if loads of people hate rap on this forum because I happent to like it.And I just want to know who people think is the best rapper ever.My vote goes to 2Pac simply because his songs and lyrics mean alot more than just slagging off popstars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

the gift of gab from blackalicious.
    or mc supernatural.. absolutely brilliant live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Ice Cube for death certificate
    or Jay Z for his recent stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Da_Kid

Lots of ppl who don't know $hit about hiphop just say "2Pac 4 Eva" automatically...but he's certainly not the greatest, far from it...I'd prolly say ppl like (in no order):

1) Canibus (probably the best lyricist ever)
    2) Ras Kass
    3) Chino XL
    4) Jurassic 5
    5) Common
    6) DMX
    7) Pharoah Monch

...I can't remember right know, I'm tired...oh yeah, Outkast's stuff is ok I suppose, original enough in comparison with some of the more typical crap (oh, hello Jay-z)...Dead Prez is nice and Biggie's flow was good...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Wyclef Jean.

No, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

PAC ofcourse and as for ChinoXL and all his NYC "rappers" ..i doubt it!

Dre in the early days was very cool but that "still dre" is something special, suprisingly scripted by JayZ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Old School

EPMD
    Ice T,
    Krs 1
    Ice Cube
    Chuck D
    de la soul
    Chuck D probally wins for scaring the hell out of middle america.

Modern Rappers

Busta Rymes> Genisis is a very good albumn
    Doctor Dre>2001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

well if yer talking about best rapper, its alot different than best hiphop group or whatever because theres more than just lyrics to it. For lyricism i'd have to give it to gza from wu-tang but im not too sure. On an underground note Copywrite from the groupMHz should be checked out for amazing punchlines etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

As this might shock some of you, no I'm not going to come along and blurt "Rap sucks!"

But, having lived with someone for 5 years who played nothing but Rap and hip-hop, I might know a little more than I let on.

I'll have to say Ice-T for his Body Count stuff.
    That was quite brilliant.

Busta Rymes was good on Extinction Level Event.
    But I don't think I payed attention to much of his other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

2pac n Busta Rhymes r cool, can't stand Wyclef Jean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Some of the old skool rappers were pretty damned class

Dead Prez
    Ice Cube
    Chuck D / Public Enemy
    NWA :)
    Dr Dre
    Busta Rhymes

Wyclef Jean, ha, why not also put down Will Smith and Puff Daddy.
    Sorry, but Wyclef, I find hes a better singer/songwriter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Da_Kid

Wyclef Jean, ha, why not also put down Will Smith and Puff Daddy.
    ...and Richard Blackwood lol...keepin it real old skool yeh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Zack De La Rocha ?
    great flow and distinctive style
    BomB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

everyone sleeps on Mos Def and Talib Kweli, they have mad skills. I think pac was one of the best maybe not the best, he's better than chino xl.
    I agree with 2040 GZA is a great rapper, Meth is good too.
    Roots Manuva is worth mentioning also, and basically anybody from the Quannum or J5 camps.
    For diversity I'd go with Outkast and Busta.
    And you cant forget Nas even if it was for just one album.

[edit] I must still be asleep. I was thinking of Prodigy not ChinoXL.[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i wrote this last month. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42254
    whats the best freestyle session youve heard recently?

ive found a masterpiece while browsing "your friendly mp3 grabber" in the guise of Freeway. when Jay-Z brought Beanie Sigel, Memphis Bleek and an unknown Freeway to a Hot 97(radio station) freestyle session. it wasnt untill the dj playing the beat went away, and everyone started saying "Flex runa out of records,mann, where'd he go? haha". and "stop it"

the last record beat was still playing (mobb deep's quiet storm) when Freeway started spitting unorthodox rhymes, playing with words going on endlessly. he sounded like Ghostface on crack. he was literally crying on the mic. incredible stuff.

as for the best rapper ?!? its very tricky cause its so diverse. start of with new york, where it all got started. krs one, fat joe, big pun all from the bronx. step into the borough of queens, home to Run DMC, LL Cool J, a tribe called quest and mobb deep. all legends.

notorious BIG (RIP), now if you dont think that biggie is the best rapper we've got a problem. illest vocals, wittiest punchlines, cleverest lyrics and two classics, ready to die and life after death.

jayz, wu tang clan, de la soul, naughty by nature, redman, heavy d, pete rock & cl smooth all can be called best rappers in their own place in new york.

who can forget jazzy jeff and the fresh prince and of course the everyone's favourite rap band, the roots.

ill post more after lecture ... :)

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

i used to be really into mos def and talib kweli. i have every album theyve done (all three!). i still like them but not as much recently seeing as rawkus is gone ghey. Roots Manuva is good alright, him and Braintax being the only english hiphop i can stand to be honest. i cant stand 2pac. best freestyle ive heard is by one of my fave "emcees" cage. it was on a college radio show in new yourk. its on the fondle'em fossils compilation.

Advertisement